Toby's new project

Many thanks for posting these Toby. Those knurled nuts are a right pain. I always work blind and go by feel, but there’s always a bulb holder or two that gets knocked out, necessitating the upside down manoeuvre to get them back in.

What’s the plan body wise ? full strip down and repaint in the original colour, or something a bit more off the wall ?

Thanks, Jonny, yeah tricky little things, it must be possible to get wing nuts in that size maybe, or even just larger sized knurled versions. I am also forever popping back in bulb holders. 

The plan is a full strip down, body off, and will need a full paint strip (both colours, there's a lot of paint and filler I think...). Restore the frame as needed (yet to look at it properly). Engine/drivetrain likely a re-build depending on what it all needs, either as original or uprated. Suspension not sure but something fast road orientated probably (not entirely sure what people have done previously for the rear on live axle 4A's??).  

I need to get into the engine bay to do the bulkhead/battery tray repair properly, so all the more reason for a full re-paint.  

I have the heritage certificate shortly so will confirm the original spec, but pretty sure that's the original green in the interior, so am thinking either the original green or variant thereof. 

I'm rather taken by this car below, although maybe the green is a bit too mean/moody, but I do like the green and black wires combination (and its general presentation and how it sits). I think this car is in Japan.

The other favourite TR4 example is the pic below it, which I imagine is the original BRG/TRG, although possibly without the stripes, not sure (apologies if that's someone's car, I found the pic on Pinterest, one of my absolute favourites).   

But built as a road car though, full interior (not the race versions below...)

Open to ideas though!

Ideally I find a customer for the car (which is becoming somewhat business critical...) and they decide the spec of course.  

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_9839.JPG

Edited by BaulyCars

Hi Toby

How's things?

Love those TR4s.  I'm leaning towards the black painted wires, funnily enough. 

Just a thought - You may want to consider fabbing up one of these Works TR4 Rally Car air scoops.  Here in the US, a guy made a few of these (From GRP I believe). 

Though these pics don't show it, the ones he sold also had a wire grille in the mouth to stop stuff getting into the heater plenum

1785471682_2015-07-1015_05_56.thumb.JPG.eecf1a8f81d55b0974b239874a419894.JPG

1656844177_2015-07-1015_05_57.thumb.JPG.2ac090470596e1e8e91aa1011b260bb9.JPG

My solid axle 4a is well sorted suspension wise and it does go well but its more subtle than the above.

Stuart.

1449993487_Looe-1-Copy(2).thumb.jpg.98e22f82fb4ce387c23001701e8cab2b.jpg

40 minutes ago, BaulyCars said:

That looks superb.

Great to hear you’ve got a live axle (I might need to ask you lots of questions/help…) 

No problem. Ive had it 30 yrs.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

An update from me with Episode 7. 

Do please subscribe as they say (I keep forgetting to say it in the videos...)    

Hope you enjoy it and do let me know any pointers, things I'm getting wrong, good or bad etc... 

Kind Regards

Toby 

Edited by BaulyCars

Toby - really enjoying watching these videos.

Just thought you might like to know that the front grill isn't a TR4A one but rather a more valuable TR5 one - the difference primarily being the 4A one has a starting handle hole in the middle of the bottom rail where there is a larger backing piece - I would sell it ( I'm sure there will be good demand for it) and replace with a much cheaper 4A unit - there are two versions of that with slightly rounded edged slats on the early cars and more sharp edged on the later cars like the TR5.

Cheers Rich

Just logged in to see if there was an update and funnily enough…. !

I do have to admire your endeavour. Having taken everything off I’m not sure where I’d know what to start on first.

As for the sandblasting of bits, there’s apparently a chap in Dubai who has a plentiful supply of sand if you run out.

For anyone who hasn’t yet watched this and reads Rich’s comments above re the grille, try not to wince every time Toby walks past it. I’d have trodden on it a few times by now.

Keep going Toby - I’m going to have to join YouTube now just so I can subscribe!

19 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Toby - really enjoying watching these videos.

Just thought you might like to know that the front grill isn't a TR4A one but rather a more valuable TR5 one - the difference primarily being the 4A one has a starting handle hole in the middle of the bottom rail where there is a larger backing piece - I would sell it ( I'm sure there will be good demand for it) and replace with a much cheaper 4A unit - there are two versions of that with slightly rounded edged slats on the early cars and more sharp edged on the later cars like the TR5.

Cheers Rich

Amazing, and many thanks, Rich, I had no idea it was a TR5 one!

Have immediately put it somewhere safe...

Should I use it on the car, or is that a bit of a no-no....?

Edited by BaulyCars
17 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Just logged in to see if there was an update and funnily enough…. !

I do have to admire your endeavour. Having taken everything off I’m not sure where I’d know what to start on first.

As for the sandblasting of bits, there’s apparently a chap in Dubai who has a plentiful supply of sand if you run out.

For anyone who hasn’t yet watched this and reads Rich’s comments above re the grille, try not to wince every time Toby walks past it. I’d have trodden on it a few times by now.

Keep going Toby - I’m going to have to join YouTube now just so I can subscribe!

:lol:

I did actually pace around much of today staring at it all, not knowing where to start... 

Fortunately Rich's comment meant I did something useful, bubble wrapping that grille :) 

I see you subscribed, thank you, Jonny! 

Toby buy a TR4 grill and  sell the 5 grill could be a profit in there.

Paul

FWIW the big rubber front overriders are non standard as theyre from a US TR6 also the steering wheel is TR6 too.

Stuart.

14 minutes ago, Paul Hill said:

Toby buy a TR4 grill and  sell the 5 grill could be a profit in there.

Paul

I think you're right, Paul, crumbs I just looked at the Revington TR price for 2nd hand TR5 grilles.

Seems they were reproduced new at some point, wonder how I check whether I have an original one or not (seems to be original given the patina)

7 minutes ago, BaulyCars said:

I think you're right, Paul, crumbs I just looked at the Revington TR price for 2nd hand TR5 grilles.

Seems they were reproduced new at some point, wonder how I check whether I have an original one or not (seems to be original given the patina)

Thats an original one, the new repros are OK just not quite perfect but an original 5 one is worth good money.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, BaulyCars said:

Yeah was pleased to get those overriders off, massive things. 

Toby  - if you are planning to fit UK type over riders to your front bumper, bear in mind the TR4 and TR4A are not the same - the 4A ones are quite a lot smaller (and also used on the TR5) , whereas the TR4 ones are noticeably larger and are very similar to the rear ones but without the number plate light hole.

Also worth noting that the TR4 front over riders are situated more inboard of where TR4A ones are - yours with the US spec bits look like they are in the right place so you may be able to simply swap to the correct chrome ones. The bumpers bars are the same size/profile but the mounting holes are differently located so they are not interchangeable, and the horizontal brackets on the inner face of the bumper and their support bars to the chassis are also model specific so make sure if you have to get any of these bits, you get the right ones  - looking at your front bumper, it looks straight and in good nick so all the supporting bits should be good to go,

Just for info, all TR4/4A and 5 rears bumpers and over riders  are the same

Hope this helps 

Cheers Rich