Aluminium rivnuts 1/4 28 UNF wanted

Does anyone know of a source for these apart obviously from the US, Everything over here is Metric now.

Stuart.

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

these  people can do them in steel   https://memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=6138003713

Roger

I bought 5/16” unf rivnuts from MEM 2 years ago. You actually get the bloke who runs the service on the phone to discuss and they delivered quickly. Good to deal with. 
Dave McD

19 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

these  people can do them in steel   https://memfast.co.uk/shop/Vprod2.asp?cat=6138003713

Roger

I know I can get them in steel but thats not what I want. I want them in Ally.

Stuart.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

I know I can get them in steel but thats not what I want. I want them in Ally.

Stuart.

Is that because you don’t want any galvanic corrosion?  In which case you could try stainless steel. 

Rgds Ian

Stainless steel and carbon steel are widely separated on the galvanic scale Ian, meaning there is a corrosion risk for the carbon steel if they are in contact.  Red = risk on this chart

Galvanic-Corrosion_2.png

13 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Is that because you don’t want any galvanic corrosion?  In which case you could try stainless steel. 

Rgds Ian

No its because my Rivnut tool struggles to pull up tightly steel ones at that size and above.

Stuart.

9 minutes ago, stuart said:

No its because my Rivnut tool struggles to pull up tightly steel ones at that size and above.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I share your problem.

I needed to pull up some Stainless M6 rivnuts.

In the end I put an M6 screw in from underneath, put a nut on top and wound it up with a spanner.  It worked but ungainly.

Roger

16 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

I share your problem.

I needed to pull up some Stainless M6 rivnuts.

In the end I put an M6 screw in from underneath, put a nut on top and wound it up with a spanner.  It worked but ungainly.

Roger

Sadly that option wont be available in this case hence the need for a Rivnut in the first place.

Im going to have to engineer my way out of trouble another way Im afraid but thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Stuart.

14 hours ago, ntc said:

Contact Barum Engines

Unfortunately not Neil. Spoke to them but they cant help.

Stuart.

49 minutes ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

I’ve only used larger rivnuts on a couple of occasions and in each instance I used a bolt and flat washer to pull them up tight. I guess if you are doing them in bulk that can be a bit time consuming. Plus my time is free, yours isn’t.

Rgds Ian

Just now, Ian Vincent said:

I’ve only used larger rivnuts on a couple of occasions and in each instance I used a bolt and flat washer to pull them up tight. I guess if you are doing them in bulk that can be a bit time consuming. Plus my time is free, yours isn’t.

Rgds Ian

Access isnt easily available underneath hence the need for Rivnuts in the first place.

Stuart.

Why do it from underneath? Rivnuts are designed to use their own thread as the means for pulling them up so a screw and washer from the normal side, as Ian says, will finish the job provided the rivnut is first crimped up enough with the tool to stop it spinning.  That's how I've done it.

3 minutes ago, RobH said:

Why do it from underneath? Rivnuts are designed to use their own thread as the means for pulling them up so a screw and washer from the normal side, as Ian says, will finish the job provided the rivnut is first crimped up enough with the tool to stop it spinning.  That's how I've done it.

Yes I know Ive been using Rivnuts for more years than I care to remember but the non availability of Aluminium ones in that size and the fact that my Rivnut tool wont pull up steel ones in that size is my problem plus no access underneath as a fall back to pull them in with a nut is also a problem. Ive now decided on another approach to the problem.

Stuart.

22 minutes ago, dingle said:

Stuart-I suggest you contact Mcmaster-Carr in the US. They are small quantity friendly and ship internationally.  https://www.mcmaster.com/products/rivet-nuts/ 

Berry

Thanks, I know theyre available anywhere in the US. trouble is it costs a fortune to post small amounts and the rate isnt that good at the moment either.

Stuart.

1 minute ago, stuart said:

Postage is more than the item! Theyre in Australia.

Stuart.

So it is going to cost you just over thirty pounds delivered. 

Seems like a bargain to me to get what you want versus spending hours looking through the internet and / or trying to devise alternative solutions.  

2 minutes ago, Hawk said:

So it is going to cost you just over thirty pounds delivered. 

Seems like a bargain to me to get what you want versus spending hours looking through the internet and / or trying to devise alternative solutions.  

I had established non availability in the UK in very short order anyway and had devised an alternate solution before I posted originally, I was just hoping someone had some stashed away from pre metrification.

Stuart.

So just to close out this topic, thanks to all who have contributed but earlier today whilst sorting through stuff to take to Shepton I came across this packet that I must have bought in from the States many many years ago when the rate was good, UNC but that doesn’t matter as I have UNC bolts in stock anyway. :lol: Typical 

Stuart 

IMG_5527.jpeg