Main Bearing (Vandervell)

Hello All,

I've just removed a set of Vandervell main bearings from their original packaging. They were coated with rust preventive spray and wrapped in grease paper. After cleaning the rust preventive off the bearings with petrol, the attached photo is how they now look.

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not they're fit for use.....

Richard.

Main Bearing.jpg

1 hour ago, trchris said:

Personally I wouldn’t it won’t take much to pick up on the crank journals so I’d not chance it

Chris

Thanks for the replies gents, that leaves me with a dilemma, my crankshaft has been hardened (nitrided) and there's no pitting on any of the shells. Something for me to lose sleep over.

Richard.

That's disappointing. I have two other sets of these bearings, one packaged identically as described in my original post, the other in a blister pack, upon inspection they're all suffered in the same way. 

This suggests that despite being packaged & stored correctly, all NOS Vandervell bearings should be avoided.

Richard.

55 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

This suggests that despite being packaged & stored correctly, all NOS Vandervell bearings should be avoided.

No that's definitely not the case. March this year I fitted a set of new but very old stock Vandervell bearings that were wrapped in waxed paper that had started to disintegrate & adhere itself to the back of the bearings they all cleaned up perfectly, with no discolouration to the white metal at all.

Bearings1.jpg

Bearings2.jpg

I had this dilemma about 7 years ago. Same make of bearings, same blemishes. Bearings were paper wrapped and 30+ years old.

I posted a picture here asking exactly the same question. Roger suggested to polish them with Autosol, wash them off, and fit them.

I’ve now done 3000 miles without having any problems (as far as I can tell.)

Charlie.

DSCF2377.jpg

Edited by Charlie D

It could wel be corrosion on the grain boundaries. In that case I would not use them.

If de stains polish out with a cleaner, I would fit them.

If not, or if you see visible cracks or the surface is not “flat” after polishing, I would not use them.

FWIW: I fitted the Glyco’s they were not that expensive.

A set of King “trimetals” I had were thinner so would result in more clearance, so I did not use these.

Waldi

Update.....it's not staining on the shells, it's the overlayer that's came away. Anyway, I called Mahle in Kilmarnock earlier and asked them their expert advice............ all 3 sets of NOS have been dispatched to recycling.

There's nothing wrong with the main bearings I'm running (ACL), I just thought since the pistons were out and it's an easy enough job that I would replace them. So the current bearings are staying put, big end bearings are being replaced with good NOS Vandervell shells.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Richard.

• 4 months later...

From the photo, it appears that the Vandervell main bearings are in good condition. The discoloration is likely due to the rust preventive spray, and it should not affect the performance of the bearings.

However, it is important to inspect the bearings carefully before installing them. Make sure that there are no cracks, chips, or other damage. Also, check the bearings surfaces for any signs of wear. If the bearings are in good condition, they should be fit for use.

Edited by jannick