Strange Bracket on TR6 Chassis

I was looking at a newly refurbished chassis yesterday and noticed this strange curved bracket just behind the nearside rack mount. None of the four 6 cylinder TR owners present knew what it was for although they all recognised it. Does anyone here know?

IMG_9620.thumb.JPG.6ed19561e4b925f664d8a1d4626ea98a.JPG

This is a major PIA if you are removing / installing the engine. Ask me how I know. I too was puzzled as to its function and was advised that it related to a form of preventing the left hand drive steering shaft from impaling the driver in the event of a shunt. Obviously a fix to comply with US import legislation and deemed unnecessary in our home market, hence the omission of something similar on the right hand side. All very interesting but if my engine has to come out again I will seriously consider a few moments with angle grinder beforehand.

TonyC

Also useful to stop the engine going forward and the fan chewing the radiator under heavy braking.  This only happens when the engine mount rubbers rot/split/fail.  Not common on original engine mounts but who knows with repro stuff.

4 hours ago, TonyC said:

This is a major PIA if you are removing / installing the engine. Ask me how I know. I too was puzzled as to its function and was advised that it related to a form of preventing the left hand drive steering shaft from impaling the driver in the event of a shunt. Obviously a fix to comply with US import legislation and deemed unnecessary in our home market, hence the omission of something similar on the right hand side. All very interesting but if my engine has to come out again I will seriously consider a few moments with angle grinder beforehand.

TonyC

It wouldnt do that unless you fitted solid UJ`s to the shaft and from new there wasnt. Its as stated above to prevent the engine moving forwards and I wouldnt remove it without informing your insurance company.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
3 hours ago, Chris59 said:

It's usefull when you have to remove and refit the fan belt ;)

Hi Chris

Forgive my ignorance of TR6 tips and tricks but how so?

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Fairly simple : one might need to undo the 4 engine mounting nuts, but if you use a lever between the engine and this bracket, you might get enough clearance to remove the fan belt.

28 minutes ago, openroad said:

Hello all, I have one of these brackets , if anyone is looking  for one.

Conrad.

IMG_20230524_115302.jpg

So someone has already cut that off their chassis! Thats got the rack mount with it!

Stuart.

8 hours ago, Chris59 said:

Fairly simple : one might need to undo the 4 engine mounting nuts, but if you use a lever between the engine and this bracket, you might get enough clearance to remove the fan belt.

Cheers Chris

That's one for the memory bank when the time comes along.

Andy

Of course you have one Conrad - what don't you have kicking around in your lock up. :D

Well Andrew , if i look hard enough I can usually find whatever it is I am looking for,  if that makes sense  !!

And sometimes I can't find anything  !!

Conrad.

I believe that for US market cars, it prevents the steering rack from moving easily aft in a frontal collision. The amount of give in the steering shaft is only about 3-4”. The reinforced rubber donut is not going to come apart so any movement in the steering rack aft, just make the steering wheel and shaft ever so closer to your chest.

Edited by CK's TR6