Front Number Plate

Hi all,

Quick question - how was the front number plate originally fixed to the bumper?

Looking at google images it appears some are fitted central to the number plate as if screwed directly to it and others look like the number plate is under the number plate on some sort of bracket?

Many thanks

Dave

Dave - as far as I am aware, front number plates were always fitted to pre-drilled holes in the bumper - there is a pair of holes either side of the centre line which is for the number plate - all the other holes are for the mounting/brackets/over riders - you can see this in the attached photos.

I have seen mounting plates underneath the number plate, but these have always been then mounted to the bumper.

Cheers Rich

IMG_1714 (1).jpg

IMG_1710 (2).jpg

Edited by rcreweread
2 hours ago, stillp said:

Interesting that sales brochure doesn't show the starting handle support on the bumper. Was it omitted on some TR4s?

Pete

The depression on the front panel was there right up through to  TR5 but only 4/4a have the notch in the bottom of the grille, there was only for very early TR4 an option for a starting handle though and it was deleted pretty quickly, I believe the option was market specific

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I was thinking of the "Guide, starting handle",706163,  item 80 on page 132 of the Moss catalogue, which of course would be unnecessary on cars that didn't have the hole in the radiator. I'm still surprised that it wasn't on the car used for the sales brochure, since that must have been an early example.

My 4A carried what must have been an early 4 bumper for a few years, with that guide fitted.

Pete

Pete - given that the TR4 and 4A front bumpers have different mounting holes and brackets, it's difficult to see how the early one was fitted unless it had additional holes drilled in it for the different mounts. Also, I've never seen a guide fitted( I'm not suggesting they weren't, just not seen one) but it looks like it is mounted/bolted to the bumper so that would need more holes to be drilled in  the bumper - haven't seen a bumper with holes suitable for a guide so they must have been quite rare and presumably only fitted to those early TR4s with the run over TR3 long neck rads with the hole in the middle - did non long neck TR4 rads ever have the starting handle hole in them? I'm sure TR4A rads never had a starting handle hole in them.

Just some thoughts

Cheers Rich   

6 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Pete - given that the TR4 and 4A front bumpers have different mounting holes and brackets, it's difficult to see how the early one was fitted unless it had additional holes drilled in it for the different mounts. Also, I've never seen a guide fitted( I'm not suggesting they weren't, just not seen one) but it looks like it is mounted/bolted to the bumper so that would need more holes to be drilled in  the bumper - haven't seen a bumper with holes suitable for a guide so they must have been quite rare and presumably only fitted to those early TR4s with the run over TR3 long neck rads with the hole in the middle - did non long neck TR4 rads ever have the starting handle hole in them? I'm sure TR4A rads never had a starting handle hole in them.

Just some thoughts

Cheers Rich   

I currently have a TR4 front bumper fitted to my 4a as it came cheap, only real problem is the overriders do slightly obscure the indicators. Ive never seen a guide fitted and never seen a bumper with the holes for it. I would have thought your right regarding early long neck rads having the hole for a handle though, could ask Toronto Tim what he has as hes got a very early 4. I know he doesnt run bumpers though he may still have it.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

I currently have a TR4 front bumper fitted to my 4a as it came cheap, only real problem is the overriders do slightly obscure the indicators. Ive never seen a guide fitted and never seen a bumper with the holes for it. I would have thought your right regarding early long neck rads having the hole for a handle though, could ask Toronto Tim what he has as hes got a very early 4. I know he doesnt run bumpers though he may still have it.

Stuart.

I do still have the front bumper to my 4 so I'll take a look.  I don't remember it having anything unusual but a) I might have missed it and b) it might not be the original bumper, of course.

As it happens, I am in the UK right now but I'll have a look at the weekend when I get home and let you know.

Tim

Does this help, you can just see the starter handle guide bracket on our  1962 TR4.

59947F73-45C6-4006-AC45-60C8634BBFDB.jpeg

Got one the same with my early TR4, I'll post a photo if I can find it...

On 3/14/2023 at 7:57 AM, rcreweread said:

Just some thoughts

Cheers Rich   

Rich, when I replaced my TR4 front bumper with a more correct TR4A one I had to change the mounting brackets as well. Yes, there were holes in the TR4 bumper fot the guide. I think I sold the guide on here after quite a bit of interest from members. The bumper and brackets went on ebay.

I agree that TR4A rads never had a starting handle hole, but I've seen a short neck TR4 rad with the hole. Of course that might not have been original as I remember a radiator repair company offering to add the hole when re-coring. I suspect they leaked!

Pete

For anyone who might be interested I've dug out my original front bumper and starter guide bracket which came from my early 1962 TR4 as referred to earlier in this post.

Starting handle bracket1.jpg

Starting handle bracket.jpg

5 hours ago, Chilliman said:

For anyone who might be interested I've dug out my original front bumper and starter guide bracket which came from my early 1962 TR4 as referred to earlier in this post.

Starting handle bracket1.jpg

Starting handle bracket.jpg

Plus of course the rubber plug to fill the handle hole up when not in use.