State Pension Increase

I have just received my Tax Coding Notice for the year 2023/24 and it shows that my State Pension (i.e. the amount they are planning to deduct from my Personal Allowance) will increase by 14.6% compared to last year.  This doesn't tally with the UK.GOV website which states that the increase this year will be 10.1%.

Before I go through the tedious exercise of asking HMRC "what's going on?", has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

I have just received my Tax Coding Notice for the year 2023/24 and it shows that my State Pension (i.e. the amount they are planning to deduct from my Personal Allowance) will increase by 14.6% compared to last year.  This doesn't tally with the UK.GOV website which states that the increase this year will be 10.1%.

Before I go through the tedious exercise of asking HMRC "what's going on?", has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Rgds Ian

Got mine this morning, didnt really take that much notice of anything other than to think that I dont get as much as it said on it, that must be due to the increase but didnt see any figures of percentage, will have another look when I get home.

Stuart.

Ian

I have also received my tax code today which shows an increase of the State pension of 10.115% from last year so not too far out from 10.1% but I don't why an additional 0.015% was added but it is only pence.

!4.6% seems to me being totally out of order but it would be to your detriment the higher the sum to be deducted from your Personal Allowance which in turn would increase the tax you pay,  I think.  Can any account in the Register be able to throw any light on the problem?

Good luck with trying to contact with Inland Revenue, as i tried once and had to wait for ages on the phone. I am at present having problems with DVLA, Another Govt Department.

Cheers

Gordon

You'll reduce your frustration-levels if you choose one of the quieter times when contacting the tax office - between 8-9 in the morning is a good bet, as is around 1pm

….. Andy 

4 hours ago, stuart said:

Got mine this morning, didnt really take that much notice of anything other than to think that I dont get as much as it said on it, that must be due to the increase but didnt see any figures of percentage, will have another look when I get home.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, et Al

No, there weren't any percentage figures in the letter but I keep all the old correspondence on tax matters for 5 years so I was able to refer to last years pension and calculate the increase - hence the aforementioned 14.6%.

The letter said that any queries could be made online but when I logged into my personal tax account via the Government web site there was no such link although it did confirm both last year's and this coming year's pensions.

I then bit the bullet and phoned HMRC.  After hanging on the end of the phone for about 45 minutes (fortunately I had other stuff I could be dong while I waited) I got through to someone - he didn't sound like the sharpest knife in the drawer but hey ho, he looked my problem and said "We are given the pension figures to use by the State Pension Service, if you have a query you will have to take it up with them".  He then gave me a phone number to contact them on.   When I tried it (twice) you are led through the menus and recorded messages to the point where it asks you to press '1' if you want to query the value of your pension and immediately you press '1' it rings twice and then cuts you off!  At which point I swore at the phone and gave up.

I'll wait for my Pension Advice letter to arrive sometime in March.

And Gordon you are right, it was the reduction in my personal allowance to next to nothing that alerted me to the fact that something was going on.

Rgds Ian

Best of luck with HMRC I've had 15 years of aggravation from them not understanding their own tax system and similar major difficulties getting to speak to the same person twice. Problem is the tax payer is always liable for their mistakes!

Can't wait to be in receipt of a pension, that's if they haven't robbed half of it by the time I get there. 

Personally I think you should be able to visit a local tax office as a lay person and resolve any issues. It would make life a lot easier.

Andy 

Re HMRC, successive governments since last century have decimated the numbers & quality of staff at HMRC.  I used to be a tax accountant & could speak directly to an inspector concerning complex matters, now you can't having to go through a help-desk like all others, staffed by low paid high turnover staff.  It doesn't matter if you tell them they won't understand the problem, they are required to go through their algorithm, all to save money.  The down side since the 80s, there has been an increase in tax evasion (illegal) without sufficient staff of a high enough calibre to counter it, just look at the "white van" & gig industries.

6 hours ago, duncan said:

Re………, there has been an increase in tax evasion (illegal) without sufficient staff of a high enough calibre to counter it, just look at the "white van" & gig industries.

Why look at "white van & gig industries " Duncan? …….. Surely all us taxpayers are paying tax inspectors salaries way in excess of the relative ‘small change’ involved here compared to the multi million + illegal tax invasions of HMRC top boss and his ilk… Not to mention the billions by global corporations! 

"multi million + illegal tax ...invasions ...of HMRC"  maybe evasions meant ?

I don't mind Tax avoidance, that's what we all do by using ISAs or other investment plans which comply to the law. As we know evasion of Tax that's been incurred is illegal, and should never happen (cough).

Unhappily the majority of news presenters appear never to have had it explained to them, even though up to a couple of years ago if you worked for the BBC they insisted you started your own company which the BBC paid directly. Company to company, ...avoiding tax (and allowing the BBC to pay less for the presenter services, no National insurance etc involved) and leaving the self same presenters to take "executive loans" from their own companies...which were never repaid !

I think that's called pay ? but I could be wrong, but not as the BBC and the presenters through their very aggressive tax schemes called it. The same BBC now derides multi nationals who abide by tax avoidance schemes (legal) whilst their presenters often mix up the vernacular between avoidance and evasion. If we don't want to accept any tax avoidance as being legal...change the laws, then all will become clear (nearly) and multi national companies can close shop in the UK (because they only pay the tax amount of income that's earned within that country) and move to more sympathetic tax regimes. Those missing Billions tax revenues can be reclaimed from our populace (especially those on standard tax rates...because there are multi millions more of them, tax earners paying over 80% tax rates are vanishingly small in comparison) who are well known for their magnanimous attitudes to paying increased income tax.   

Mick Richards  

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hello Ian

If you compare the increase in Basic State Pension with last year it is about 10.1%

What you have done is compare the total (includes pre and post 97, COD and grad retirement benefit) with last year's total and that is about 14.6%.

Therefore your tax coding will show the total 14.6% increase. That is correct so no need to query your tax coding. It sounds correct to me. The increase in the basic state pension is only part of the total pension. Hope that makes sense.

Keith

37 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Hello Ian

If you compare the increase in Basic State Pension with last year it is about 10.1%

What you have done is compare the total (includes pre and post 97, COD and grad retirement benefit) with last year's total and that is about 14.6%.

Therefore your tax coding will show the total 14.6% increase. That is correct so no need to query your tax coding. It sounds correct to me. The increase in the basic state pension is only part of the total pension. Hope that makes sense.

Keith

Thks for the explanation Keith, the only problem is that I don’t know what “pre and post COD and grad retirement benefit” is so I will just have wait until I get my letter from the pension authorities sometime in March. 

Rgds Ian

A couple of my friends are / were civil servants and I myself was one (DOE PSA) many years ago.   This Youtube video gives a current perspective of civil servant pay. A good video overall but from about 3.5 minutes in it highlights that 47,000 staff are about to get a pay rise else they’ll be below minimum wage.  According to a friend that’s not the first time either as the government announced one of their several pay freezes a few years ago and a few weeks later said they’d changed their minds and be generous and would give the lowest paid some money.  That was because the union had reminded them that a pay freeze would be illegal on the lowest paid.  That’s how little the civil service is thought of by the government. 

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson