Well, THAT'S Annoying

Hi All,

I had the great joy of waking up this morning to an email from the lovely neighbours in my Dad's apartment building saying that his place had been broken into and his Mercedes had been stolen from the secure, underground car park.  That means that they also took the electronic fob which opens the car park gates, and the building's front door.  The same keyring also had the "real" key for that front door PLUS the key for the apartment's front door...

The good news is that the police say that it doesn't look like a thorough search had been done (the various keys were in full view on the desk in the study).  The bad news is that I am in Toronto, the apartment is in Bucks and the police are not, yet, letting anyone else in while they are doing all the forensic work of fingerprints or whatever.

I have family there (within a couple of hours' drive) and, as mentioned, the neighbours are fantastic.  My Dad no longer lives in the apartment; he is almost 94 and has little to no communication/language abilities following a stoke in 2021 plus progressive dementure.  I heard that, initially, the police had called his care home hoping to get a statement from him.  I thought "good luck with that!" and called Thames Valley Police who were very helpful and said that all communication would be with me.  I hope that they keep to that but I haven't spoken to them so far.

More good news: they did NOT take my fairly recently acquired MGC GT (sorry!) which was parked next to the Merc.  Bad news: the MG keys are missing which means that I probably need a whole new set of locks...which is very annoying.  The battery cut-out switch may have foiled them if they attempted to take the MG too.

I'm really just sharing my frustrations here - I don't really need any help.  But you know what?  It's pretty tricky trying to manage things with your father from a different continent when we can't have a conversation over the phone (or via anyone else) and you're the only immediate family left.  Having to also deal with a break-in and all the fallout from that, also from a different continent is just BLOODY ANNOYING!!!!

If I learn anything useful, I'll share it in case it helps others.

Cheers,

Tim

Sorry to hear all these problems Tim, I really do sympathise with you. I am an only child and had to deal with much the same problems when my parents became elderly but they were only 3 miles away. I couldn’t have coped without the help of Roger and my son.

Sending love and hope that things improve soon. xxx

Tim I feel for you. It must be heart wrenching to be so far away at times like these. 
I am sure there is local help available from the forum should you need it. 

my mum is 5 hours away and I’m making a visit this weekend. But not due to any emergency thankfully.

good neighbours are worth their weight in gold. 

hope you can get it sorted 

H

Edited by Hamish

Tim

Im only a couple of hours from Buckinghamshire, so if you need anything, let me know.

There are a number of TRR forumites in Bucks, all who will help, I'm sure.

Having a break in is no joke, our boat was defiled in that way a few years ago, it leaves you with a really horrible feeling.

John

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the support and offers of help, both here and via PM. I really appreciate it. Anyone who has been through a challenge and had people on the Forum offer their support knows just how much it warms the heart and proves that, whatever else we are, we are a community. 

Things SEEM to be ok, overall, although I'll have a video walkthrough on Sunday to see what else might have been taken. The Police have been very reactive and helpful so far although I have little hope in them actually finding the perpetrators or the missing car (or keys). Such is life; thankfully there were few things there that were valuable in both monetary terms and personal ones. I'm guessing noone would want to steal my late mother's hand-written recipe books.

Onward. Again, if i learn anything that might be useful to others, I will share and, again (and again) thanks for all the support. 

Cheers,

Tim