Door removal

Nige,

it is good to note the size and location of the shims and mark the hinge flange with a pencil all around to make alignment after installation easier.

And put a blanket between door and sill and tape the edges for protection.

Waldi

Tip I've used a number of times now, when fitting doors.

When you have a perfect fit, before rmoveing for paint etc., drill 1/8th hole through the hinge and door/A Pillar,

then when reassembling a drill bit through both holes ensures exact replacement immediately.

JOhn.

8 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

When you have a perfect fit, before rmoveing for paint etc., drill 1/8th hole through the hinge and door/A Pillar,

then when reassembling a drill bit through both holes ensures exact replacement immediately.

JOhn.

Yup, very good tip, I've used it for the bonnet hinge mountings as well prior to stripping for paint.

Thanks guy

The reason I ask is I have removed the doors for painting by removing the hinge to door bolts,but of course now the cars been painted I don’t want to destroy the paint finish on the said bolts being as their visible when the door is open.Hope that makes sense 

thanks again guys

nige

Hi Nige

put 4 or 5 strips of masking tape down the A post area of front wing and door and along the bottom edge.

Use a jack under the door to set the height - ensure it is balanced well

The paint finish to the bolt heads will get damaged.  Simply touch up with a small brush.

Roger

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

JOhn.

Suggest folk consider drilling  two to prevent the hinge toggling.

Saves a lot of jiggling with a heavy door. Made the process for me a lot easier.

Andy

38 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Suggest folk consider drilling  two to prevent the hinge toggling.

Saves a lot of jiggling with a heavy door. Made the process for me a lot easier.

Andy

That’s per hinge, I also offset the second hole about an inch so the positioning of the door is controlled in both axis. You can then take the doors on and off and the door goes back on exactly.

Mick Richards

TBH I always remove the hinges from the "A" post and leave them on the door, easier to then put the door back by having the hinges pointing forwards, put a couple of bits of 1/8" thick rubber filler spreaders taped to the sill to hold the front of the door up then slide the hinges into the gap behind the wing and shut the door onto the catch thus holding the door in place. Use a steel rule through the front door gap to push the hinge against the "A" post and reach over and fit a couple of bolts. Final adjustment can then be done before tightening up the hinges. Always re-use original hinge bolts and washers if possible as they have a "Nub" on the end of them for self locating and the washers are the right size. Also dont forget to apply sealer to the rear of the hinge to "A" post to stop water ingress.

Stuart.