Earthing a collection of relays

On the 'to do' list for my recently acquired TR6, is the installation of up to 6 relays for various existing and new components.

Unlike my 3A, I am hoping the install these together, on the inner wing, close to the fuse box and 4 way block rather than scattered about the car. All but one will need need to be earthed at that location. My question, is how best to do this? Seems to me that these are the options (but there may be others):

- earth each relay individually by screwing a cable from each separately to the body panel. 

- earth each individually but use ring connectors on each earth cable going to a single new connection to the body panel.

- piggy back each earth outlet from one relay to the next with a single final cable being screwed to the body panel (not keen on this)

- use a busbar to which the earth cable from each relay is attached.

So, friends what have others done and which solution is thought to be best.

As ever, many thanks.

Miles

- earth each individually but use ring connectors on each earth cable going to a single new connection to the body panel.

Would be my choice, you could put all 4 wires into one larger ring connector ?

Bob

This sort of relay receptacle then fiddle all the earth cables in a shrink sleeve to a single chassis mounted ring terminal.  That would be my approach  create an earth for every socket even if not used then you can adapt in the future as required.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/7-way-micro-relay-box-130mm

3552FF82-D863-4070-B50E-895B187610FD.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I’ve always favored bus bars.

I think its only because I spent weeks as an apprentice in telephone exchanges and everywhere you looked there were miles of thick bare copper bars with cables bolted to them. In my ilustrated case it seems a bit pointless with just 2 wires, but I have other bus bars behind the dash where there are lots of earth wires that can be undone individually if need be without disturbing the other earth wires.

bus1.jpg

Thank you for the prompt and clear responses gentlemen. A new, single earth point or a bus bar it will be, depending on space and convenience. And yes Peter, I will be mounting the relays in a block of connected holders for convenience and easy changeover in the event of failure. 

I am very aware that often the questions I ask are obvious to many but as a rank amateur I have found that even with research I can come to the wrong conclusion! Also I want to ensure that any work I do or have done to my cars is of the best standard for myself and any subsequent owners and the bodgery ceases! So many thanks again.

Miles

Over the years I’ve been on many technical courses for various bits of kit. Also many group meetings with managers in several organizations.

Most times I’ve not had a clue what the hell was going on so I always asked loads and loads of questions, often to the annoyance of the lecturer/manager/other people there.

I know that lots of people saw me as a total idiot, but just as many people would come up to me afterwards and thank me because they said they also did not have a clue, but were afraid to ask incase it made them look stupid.

I’ve discovered that you learn a lot more by appearing to be stupid than pretending that you know what’s going on.

(And it’s always a good excuse when you make a cock up on a job…)

Charlie