Can anybody advise on this overdrive leak?

Please wait while image is uploading...

Just got the tunnel off my TR6. Minor leaks from gearbox/overdrive which I believe to be an A type?? 

This bolt seems to have a pool of oil around it and wondering if source of leak.. Was wondering if it can be removed and if felt washer underneath

Before I touch anything can anybody tell me what this bolt does?? 

Thankyou

overdrive.thumb.jpg.e85b4ef9c03186131dd501a584a1483f.jpgPlease wait while image is uploading...

overdrive2.jpg

Edited by jogger321

Bit of a novice to this ..what steps do I need to to try and fix it..what if anything needs to be dismantled to get to the source of the problem?...The overdrive works fine

Many thanks

That nut with the oil around is just a plug to hold the operating valve & spring. It can safely be removed & as Drewmotty says there should be a copper washer under the head of the plug, just clean the whole area & replace the copper washer (or re anneal) & put back together - at least you will be able to rule that out as a leak source & is an easy job to do.

I think the hex head screw is simply catching the run-off from above.  How long has it taken to get that oily?

I would  suggest the selector rod 'O' rings are leaking.

if it was my GB I would wash off all the oil and then do a decent test run and see where the oil is coming from.

An extra breather hole can be inserted st the forward left corner of the top cover - 1/8" diameter hole with a split pin inserted.

To replace the 'O' rings you need to completely strip the cover down.

Roger

56 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I think the hex head screw is simply catching the run-off from above.  How long has it taken to get that oily?

if it was my GB I would wash off all the oil and then do a decent test run and see where the oil is coming from.

An extra breather hole can be inserted st the forward left corner of the top cover - 1/8" diameter hole with a split pin inserted.

Roger

+1. I've seen worse leaks. After cleaning you may need to spray talcum powder from a puffer to trace the leak's source.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roger

They do look to be leaking judging by the rear housing but the leak the OP is on about is forward of that and more likely just needs the copper washer replacing.

Stuart.

35 minutes ago, CharlieBubbles said:

Had something similar and (eventually) tracked it down to the bolt being a thread or two too long, so it bottomed out before being tight at the top - although it looked and felt like it was. A real s*d to find!

This is the plug, it just needs a new washer https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/product/a-type-main-case-operating-valve-plug-on-top-of-case/

Stuart.