Windscreen Washer

Apologies if this topic has come up before, but I find the search function not to be the best. 

I am in the process of a full renovation of a 1958 TR3A including a LHD to RHD conversion. I purchased a RHD dash which I had blasted and powdered coated, and have then recovered in vinyl. The manual says that the windscreen washer knob goes between the glove box and centre console; and sure enough there is an aperture there. 

I looked up the appropriate part in the Moss catalogue, which I sent off for. When it arrived it says TR4/TR4A on the box and I recognise it from my TR4. I checked the part number and that was correct. The problem I have is that the aperture on the dash is too small for this item and I don’t want to be trying to make it bigger when I have already recovered it. 

Assuming (always dangerous I know) that at some point the dash had the washer knob and associated fitted, what did the original part look like and are they available?

Apologies for the ramble, just a bit frustrating. 

Regards to all, Mark

How big is the hole in the dash?     Have you poked a hole through the trim yet?

Is it your intention to go down the concourse route with the finished car?

If not consider going to an electric screen washer system

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bag-Type-Electric-Screen-Washer-Kit-210-mm-wide-x-290-mm-tall/123876601923?hash=item1cd79ef043:g:GPgAAOSw0EVgANJA&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8IVHCZ8IJNrq1ZXihOA4IZ2h2SHpZDe+/xsgReI98ISikTFDJShg9vOyY3MDNRyJL6Brkd6Y2qqJbS7zGKYsJ3GRgR2whU1p/ZN3djnpcjOhtjWk5MSOHQQzmNfcTVXfjQdq9pVL+fV/Frp08mgGp5X8+gt+boZet84KEzsR934HpnVwwetNu+ExZ66fGrujMHjP3Igm1R86DJHaVz72kr0mFhQl3JHSZWkb4NKVzOOmQsB+E0v9HkgH+H5pnj68GfLFFNVnK3MQFsx6xaSDZpM03gyf7KgO5sjgtALzmBCGi90pccbW+yUkNjSRJwK1zQ==|tkp:BFBMmvPW3oBh&pageci=f11046f0-4ed2-4c9c-b025-e2ad55a53996&redirect=mobile

or just the bottle and pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bottle-Type-Electric-Screen-Washer-Kit-Length-135mm-Height-160mm-Width-70mm/123876602776?hash=item1cd79ef398:g:UgoAAOSwAH9gAPQq&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8LLn1xCu7b7vP0pHOo0W9GoM23UGOOfsHKBgqvcDNSs8kAPWGCGoc+3sc7aaQ2Y06cUngrkH+BYJZ2axPGgueE3+gDuqnOfa235NNVmSvTWJge9GQXat5s0KCal9bdjYNVI+/tM8MZPNt9iDbMGF+DMM3plJa8ngMOULLRj1IBK7Z3zDnD7gEA1zA//Re24KLc9LHRqnl/TWbzUxhomDE4HZ6jA1w6KI8HkdZ1iTdnuyIXeUObinZ+9BllhOcrBWTEeDSnR15fxwBgiEsoXFE9dxZ7gm9y+0JsMxW7zxE92LS00uX2Aosntw9+hWAPq5Ag==|tkp:BFBMmvPW3oBh&pageci=f56458d1-2cbe-4a7a-9437-c329828263da&redirect=mobile

or use the basic manual pump if you have a bottle

Like this. https://www.holden.co.uk/p/manual_washer_pump

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Many thanks for this information. I have fitted a bottle but not yet punched through the trim. Holdens is just down the road so I think I will take a drive out and look at the part. I sometimes have a beer with Jeremy Holden; unfortunately he sold the business at the start of the year, so no discount! 

23 hours ago, markaluge said:

Apologies if this topic has come up before, but I find the search function not to be the best. 

I am in the process of a full renovation of a 1958 TR3A including a LHD to RHD conversion. I purchased a RHD dash which I had blasted and powdered coated, and have then recovered in vinyl. The manual says that the windscreen washer knob goes between the glove box and centre console; and sure enough there is an aperture there. 

I looked up the appropriate part in the Moss catalogue, which I sent off for. When it arrived it says TR4/TR4A on the box and I recognise it from my TR4. I checked the part number and that was correct. The problem I have is that the aperture on the dash is too small for this item and I don’t want to be trying to make it bigger when I have already recovered it. 

Assuming (always dangerous I know) that at some point the dash had the washer knob and associated fitted, what did the original part look like and are they available?

Apologies for the ramble, just a bit frustrating. 

Regards to all, Mark

The washer, pump type, on my car is not in that position, it’s to the right of the dash below the heater switch. It’s the original still with its original tubing and jets. Perhaps position varied? Washers were an option, I think? 

Thanks Stuart, just given mine a service, the jet non return valve ballbearing was stuck in the drivers side washer. A good dunking and soak in some malt vinegar and normal service is resumed :-)

Iain

So I took the Holden version which fitted the aperture in the dash but doesn’t look very exciting. Cut it down by about a cm and then drilled the end to allow me to glue an old tonneau stud in it. The thread being perfect for the washer knob. I’m happy with the results. 

95C9EB89-03FB-4B26-9E45-33302DAAA0F1.jpeg

Indeed they were often dealer fitted, but the "most original" type was the Trafalgar Washer, usually fitted with the knob without the "Trafalgar" writing (see pics).

There is another type of washer pump (by Smiths?) which shows a knob like the knobs fitted to the center dash of the sidescreen TRs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255747057917?hash=item3b8bb668fd:g:aO0AAMXQ2UVQ4xaP&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoD4i69X1CEPHH3z5wH5ZcVozDc0Gfd6BNG%2FK6jHiVxmqG73pKckp7d4YtBlimYH4T9Cc9g8yhBR5CohQiIRjmxKdFHtaNJv8OWoSyk3U7Ds5jIEmDr5Yvr7713m8kWiUyflb61o8ZWrw0SlpBy13UnOZqG35e3BMOYpTRCAOpb1hWUunxd%2B5%2Fjs%2BsxkY2P%2FkqXRdozhiWuTuFgFtUuaJGV4%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6zq9s-FYQ

Tudor washers were merely used by BMC.

s-l1600e.jpg

s-l1600eee.jpg

s-l1600ee.jpg

s-l140trafalgar2.jpg

have been trying to secure the correct  screen washer pump knob  for mine. It currently sports a cream Tudor knob  which looks kind of odd 

all the best 

Steve

hi Christian 

Yes I have discovered that, Oddly enough the MGA  button (Top)fits the pump i have,  so at least all of the knobs are the same colour

The Tudor pump  is offered as  reproduction by Moss      https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/washer-pump-windscreen-with-knob-27h9624.html?assoc=611389  which should fit a TR .. it would nice if someone could remanufacture the TR knob  though

cheers

Steve

s-l1600.jpg

windscreen washer knob.jpg

Edited by Nobbysr
missed info