Best ‘undiscovered’ driving roads around Europe..

Although it is pretty quiet around here, this is not meant to be contentious……

Previously, having rally’d / driven the majority - if not all - the commonly accepted ‘best routes’… Having spent the last month in the Greek Islands, I’m going to make the case for the ‘mountain’(?) passes up over and around Crete….  ?!

Anyone done the Acropolis Rally? I can now certainly see the appeal…….. These (EU funded?) hairpins are magnificent and terrific fun…… give me another week and I will be keeping up with the locals and - Or more likely - divorced!……. New tyres required every week on the cheapest hire car in Greece :oB) !

Hi Tony,

Not Greece, but last week I drove the D971 from Dijon in Burgundy up towards Troyes in Champagne. Unfortunately I was driving my motorhome but I spent the trip wishing I was in my TR6. Lovely climbs and descents tight turns and long sweeping turns. 

Yep Sean, I agree - I spent a few happy years living in the S of France - many wonderful and relatively empty roads… (Tough decision though whether to stock up on more than decent red or, the bubbly stuff? <_<)

However, Islands generally seem to have it all compressed in; manic driving up to the top of a gorge, then the sea both sides until you wind back down the other side and again back up another one…

97995B26-37D4-44B6-B837-1BC32578388D.thumb.jpeg.4e24bd2ebd866f29205eb7a088681fb4.jpeg

On 7/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, Tony_C said:

New tyres required every week on the cheapest hire car in Greece :oB) !

A few years back we hired a car in Romania. All the tyres were practically bald even before we'd driven it anywhere. But still couldn't of course resist taking it over the Transfagarasan road, a memorable drive.

image.png.fc5b7b15837f134bacdce381c12c8cdd.png

Even better in a TR. You should have been with us a few weeks back. 12 TRs did the Transfagarasan and the Transalpina pass, both brilliant at over 2000m with little traffic. 

Mick

Transalpina.jpg

I fear that the Stelvio is hardly "undiscovered"!      

Earlier this month, I spent a few days travelling to Le Mans for the Classic.   On my way, I visited the old Rheims-Gueux circuit, and I'll admit to using the "Autoroute des Anglais" to get there quickly, and have time to look around.

But thereafter I drove by small country roads, D roads, through La France Profonde, and had a lovely time.    The scenery, villages and people were delightful, and in my camper I was able to stop for the night in any of the "Aires" that any French woodland has.   

I recommend getting off the recognised routes!

John

11 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

I fear that the Stelvio is hardly "undiscovered"!      

Unlike Romania Transfăgărășan aka DN7C, I guess. I do agree with you driving the D roads in France are a pleasurable experience although I guess there not undiscovered to anyone who has driven in France. 

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I guess there not undiscovered [roads] to anyone who has driven in France. 

Indeed, as the native Americans and Australians could have told their 'discoverers'!    

If in North West Italy try visiting Gran Paradiso, mountain and nature reserve a very little known spot. The Strada Provncial 50. When we drove it one year to see the magnificent spring floral displays it was a little icy, but that just adds to the thrill.

image.thumb.png.fec4e1f67c2a006cbca4cb8dae0213b6.png

Alan

2 hours ago, james christie said:

Parking a camping car in some woods in France may invite some interesting propositions…..

james

Gosh, James!     One aire I found was a few miles outside Rouen, on a fairly busy road that I thought might keep me awake at night.   There was a side road next to it, that ran off into the forest so I went down it and found several other sites that would be much quieter.    It was still early evening, so I made coffee and sat in the sun enjoying it.     A few cars went by, not enough to disturb my sleep, but then I realised that the same cars were going by, and I was being scrutinised by the drivers!    I retreated to the main aire, where several families were camping for the night.     I saw nothing more of the 'kerb crawlers' , the traffic got much less as rush hour went by an d I slept well!

Hasn't put me off aire-camping, just not near a big city!

John

On 7/19/2022 at 7:09 PM, Bleednipple said:

A few years back we hired a car in Romania. All the tyres were practically bald even before we'd driven it anywhere. But still couldn't of course resist taking it over the Transfagarasan road, a memorable drive.

image.png.fc5b7b15837f134bacdce381c12c8cdd.png

That's a wonderful scenery!