play in my IRS diff

Under acceleration or deceleration the input flange rises or falls due to torque reaction unless the axle is located by additional metalwork like Watts linkage or Panhard rod to stop sideways movement on cornering. 
 The movement is due to Newton.   “To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.”

Anti tramp bars reduce the axle wind up issue   See Healey axle modified.

I think the input flange at rest is slightly tipped like an IRS axle.   In truth I have never looked.

C7294AFE-CBD1-4FB1-A97E-FB0FCC125C18.jpeg

Unless I’m seeing it wrong, in that picture, isn’t the arm of the lift sitting on the bracket of the anti tramp bar.

Not the safest place to position it, surely? I can picture it bending the bracket sideways.

Charlie

I found this at the internet, for me it seems to be 90° to the ground?

Kw8h5hhx1azEMjuuXVScjT2Ws2mwcsmmeR7lVPci

Why do I ask? To have the flanges parallel is correct, but only some degrees not parallel perhaps is not noticeable?

This is why I let my spacers on the car at the monment as part of the experimental use of my TR4A (I'm a bit lazy of working on it).

Currently my lovely wife gave me some challanges which are more fascinating.

Ciao, Marco

6 hours ago, Charlie D said:

Unless I’m seeing it wrong, in that picture, isn’t the arm of the lift sitting on the bracket of the anti tramp bar.

Not the safest place to position it, surely? I can picture it bending the bracket sideways.

Charlie

It’s only a Healey 100 with a small block Chevy, so not worth a lot.   

16 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

It’s only a Healey 100 with a small block Chevy, so not worth a lot.   

Thats true, how to devalue a car the US way.

Stuart.

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

when the weather conditions become warmer I want to correct this issue.

2022 I noticed vibartions driving faster than 130 km/h from the diff which I leveld 2022.

As I know now the diff has to be angled the same amount as the (TR) engine/gearbox - in Z (IRS) or W (solid axle) orientation.

In some puplications I found a maximum tolerable difference of +/- 0,25°, better zero.

My engine and gearbox is not original fixed on both ends, today I checked the angle in 2 different ways with 1,65° and 1,70°.

Next I will take the alu spacers out again, make them shorter by my calculation and I hope this will match.

Still I'm sorry for any irritation I caused.

Ciao, Marco

• 2 weeks later...

OK, done.

my engine is a bit lowered and angled 1.7° --> I don't know how much this originaly was.

My diff was shimmed and angled by my fault 0°, spacer out it is with my PUs 3,35°, I reduced the spacer, angle is 1.7° now on the first attempt.

Both, engine and diff, are now the same. Sadly no test drive now because the gb has to go out next.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I had a test drive yesterday with some distance faster than 130 km/h and my impression is:

all vibrations from the diff are gone - and even more than I expected.

“Sadly“ I have no original TR4A IRS anymore to measure, but my impression is:

engine/gearbox and diff are originally not angled the same amount, the diff more….

Perhaps someone else wants to find out?

Ciao, Marco

Are you of the opinion then that engine/gearbox and diff at the same angle is best? I know the propshaft doesn't run at zero degrees off the diff flange but assumed that the optimal then would be the propshaft offset by X (15 degrees I believe?) to the diff and the engine/gearbox by the same angle. You seem to be confirming that? 

Niall

Edited by TRier
5 hours ago, TRier said:

Are you of the opinion then that engine/gearbox and diff at the same angle is best?

Yes

5 hours ago, TRier said:

I know the propshaft doesn't run at zero degrees off the diff flange but assumed that the optimal then would be the propshaft offset by X (15 degrees I believe?) to the diff and the engine/gearbox by the same angle. You seem to be confirming that?

Sorry me, I can't follow you. Do you have a sketch or a photo?

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2022 at 11:35 PM, Z320 said:

Hi folks,

very good TRier asked that, it reminded me today on a video I've seen years ago at Youtube.

The engine / gearbox unit in our TRs is slightly angled about 5° in the frame (the outgoing flange of the gearbox is lower than the front end of the crankshaft).

For constant velocity of the diff flange, the flanges of the diff and gearbox have to be parallel

--> means the diff has to be angled the same amount as the engine / gearbox unit is angled.

This is why the IRS diff is mounted in the frame as it is and I have to take my alu spacers out again.

I not realised any problem / vibration until now, but I did not drive faster than 90 km/h since fitted.

Sorry me for my @&5$§!!@ writing above and for any irritation I caused, I should have known better.

Ciao, Marco

Perhaps CV joints are not the wonderful answer to all our problems?

3 hours ago, Anschutz said:

Perhaps the market place has judged CV joints and...think they are just fine as they are.

Thompson couplings information as of 2019

Thompson couplings.docx

Mick Richards

18 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Shame he did not show how it worked.

Seems complicated but I think in essence it looks like two hooke joints in series, but configured co-axially so there is no shaft between them. 

Animated-gif.gif

11 hours ago, Anschutz said:

Thank you for the video.

Are there street cars known using Thompson joints?

Much more simple for the propshaft’s joints would be

the engine and a IRS diff not angled and without offset?

Ciao, Marco 

Back from a 1,000 km tour on small roads and the Autobahn too,

I‘m very pleased with the power drain of my TR4A now.

Sadly nobody here wants to measure and post the original angle of the IRS 4 and 6 cylinder engines,

to find out about a possibility general improvement on this construction.

On the solid axle the angle of the diff changes constantly,

to change this I don’t have enough fantasy (and no solid axle car).

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320