What Interior Colors Were Available for the 1960 TR3A?

My car's interior is allegedly original. The BMIHT certificate just says "blue". Near as I can tell, what I have is called "Shadow Blue". Is there any reference where I can see the actual color combos that were available and perhaps see if there were both Midnight Blue and Shadow Blue? (Disregard the edge cap as it was painted using vinyl paint by a previous owner but the seats are supposed to be original)

Interior.jpeg.png

My Rear seat is an original ST part (a lucky NOS find from ebay a few years ago) I can photograph it for you, but not sure that would help.

It does look close to your picture above though.

Bob.

1 hour ago, 61TR3A said:

My car's interior is allegedly original. The BMIHT certificate just says "blue". Near as I can tell, what I have is called "Shadow Blue". Is there any reference where I can see the actual color combos that were available and perhaps see if there were both Midnight Blue and Shadow Blue? (Disregard the edge cap as it was painted using vinyl paint by a previous owner but the seats are supposed to be original)

Interior.jpeg.png

The Moss parts manual provides info on the original seat colours for the TR3a as black, brown, red, grey, blue, Silverstone grey, beige and Targo purple with an option for all white leather no less.

No mention of variations on the theme of blue or most others for that matter!

Kevin

50 minutes ago, Lebro said:

My Rear seat is an original ST part (a lucky NOS find from ebay a few years ago) I can photograph it for you, but not sure that would help.

It does look close to your picture above though.

Bob.

I'd appreciate that. Thanks!

My 1960 TR3a is also listed as built with blue interior. I opted for midnight blue trim with shadow blue carpet. The midnight blue is several shades darker than the midnight blue. The paint is powder blue. Basically a blue car.

Stan

10 hours ago, boxofbits said:

The Moss parts manual provides info on the original seat colours for the TR3a as black, brown, red, grey, blue, Silverstone grey, beige and Targo purple with an option for all white leather no less.

Kevin

There is also the "Weave" trim too from TR2 on though Im not sure if was still available for a 3a

Stuart.

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

1 hour ago, stuart said:

There is also the "Weave" trim too from TR2 on though Im not sure if was still available for a 3a

Stuart.

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

Yum Yum.  Very period.

Original carpets with the 'weave' or Continental pattern trim would have the same material used on their edge binding.  We have one NOS piece of carpet with it.

Peter W

12 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Kevin

The build certificate for my 1959 TR3a states:

Body Colour: British racing Green

Trim Colour & Type: PRL Leather (which Bill Piggott interpreted as Pearl)

Hood/Side Curtains Colour: White/-

Does anyone else have any alternative interpretations for PRL?

Rgds Ian

13 hours ago, 61TR3A said:

I'd appreciate that. Thanks!

Here are some photos of my original ST rear seat, click on to enlarge:

20210515_121929.thumb.jpg.c0af9d78d5f6adbd35723b2595850da6.jpg  20210515_121921.thumb.jpg.4db004553068238411b0ad3a93036cfa.jpg  20210515_122010.thumb.jpg.ac1509472213bab304c191f9158e4d00.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
3 hours ago, Lebro said:

Here are some photos of my original ST rear seat, click on to enlarge:

20210515_121929.thumb.jpg.c0af9d78d5f6adbd35723b2595850da6.jpg  20210515_121921.thumb.jpg.4db004553068238411b0ad3a93036cfa.jpg  20210515_122010.thumb.jpg.ac1509472213bab304c191f9158e4d00.jpg

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Thanks! That's my interior and it's definitely original so I'll have to find my Bill Piggott Triumphs book and see what he has to say. I think the book is in Vermont but I'm in FL so unless someone has one and can look it up, I'll have to find it and look into it myself.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

No Stuart, definitely not..... Story was (so l heard) the wife of Sir John got involved early on when the 2 was launched with the trims and ‘exotic’ colours but, that was all long gone by the time of the 3A..... Pinkish purple 2’s were coming out the factory to be hastily repainted as soon as the new owners took delivery....Basically, by the time of the 3A you could have a red, white or dark green one.. oh, and maybe a blue one .. if really‘ radical ’!   :)

8 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

The build certificate for my 1959 TR3a states:

Body Colour: British racing Green

Trim Colour & Type: PRL Leather (which Bill Piggott interpreted as Pearl)

Hood/Side Curtains Colour: White/-

Does anyone else have any alternative interpretations for PRL?

Rgds Ian

The CT magazine dropped through my letterbox today, and it happens to run a comprehensive article on the TR3/3a/3b.

It does mention Green and BRG as body colours, as well as Pearl White, so the colour Pearl was in circulation at the factory, and could well have been used to describe the interior colour also? It also states duotone colours were available for Hardtop cars.

Kevin

22 hours ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2475.jpg

Where would yo get that material from now if you wanted to restore to original. Personally I don`t like it, there is too much of it. If it were mine I would keep it on the dash but do the rest in tan.

Ralph

16 hours ago, Tony_C said:

No Stuart, definitely not..... Story was (so l heard) the wife of Sir John got involved early on when the 2 was launched with the trims and ‘exotic’ colours but, that was all long gone by the time of the 3A..... Pinkish purple 2’s were coming out the factory to be hastily repainted as soon as the new owners took delivery....Basically, by the time of the 3A you could have a red, white or dark green one.. oh, and maybe a blue one .. if really‘ radical ’!   :)

Sorry but thats not correct, the factory would still paint cars any colour you wanted through 3a production. if you were prepared to pay. Plus any Malines built cars were painted in a variety of colours too.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Where would yo get that material from now if you wanted to restore to original. Personally I don`t like it, there is too much of it. If it were mine I would keep it on the dash but do the rest in tan.

Ralph

Its been unavailable for years Im afraid.

Stuart.

39 minutes ago, stuart said:

Sorry but thats not correct, the factory would still paint cars any colour you wanted through 3a production. if you were prepared to pay. Plus any Malines built cars were painted in a variety of colours too.

Stuart.

Here’s an extract from Bill Piggots book.. and the ‘Motor’, ‘Motor Sport’ and ‘Autosport’ road tests from the period all back this up: "Exterior colours standardised from May 1954"

9259840F-D86B-437C-B619-480867458984.thumb.jpeg.3fc3c492dc7518f7a98366fc67092f7c.jpeg

My 1962 TR3B had a blue interior similar to your 61 TR3A, and was I believe, "Shadow Blue." See photo of dismantled dash. Interior was original, but car had been repainted from powder blue to red. Also included is a book from a fellow forumite showing a vinyl/leather sample of "Midnight Blue" trim, which is darker. This came from a 1963 TR4 Spec book.

Interior Dash.jpeg

PICT3026.JPG

PICT3038.JPG

To throw something else in the mix….

My other TR3A (TS28***) is very rare in the original exterior colour which was Phantom Grey.  When Alan Robinson was registrar he said it was the only one he had ever seen referenced in that colour.  It was also originally no heater or overdrive with black vinyl, interior, soft top and sidescreens.  It was delivered to Standard Triumph Motor Co.

Hans Kooy told me he also had a LH TR3A in the same colour.

Anyone else got that colour originally?

Brother’s TR3A car was originally Silverstone Grey with matching hardtop and Silverstone grey interior.  He still has the seats and hardtop in those colours.  

Peter W

On 5/16/2021 at 7:53 AM, Tony_C said:

Here’s an extract from Bill Piggots book.. and the ‘Motor’, ‘Motor Sport’ and ‘Autosport’ road tests from the period all back this up: "Exterior colours standardised from May 1954"

9259840F-D86B-437C-B619-480867458984.thumb.jpeg.3fc3c492dc7518f7a98366fc67092f7c.jpeg

Tony C, would you be so kind as to post the page(s) from Bill Piggott's book that shows all the interior colors for the TR3, TR3A AND TR4?

Thnaks,

Jeff

23 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

To throw something else in the mix….

My other TR3A (TS28***) is very rare in the original exterior colour which was Phantom Grey.  When Alan Robinson was registrar he said it was the only one he had ever seen referenced in that colour.  It was also originally no heater or overdrive with black vinyl, interior, soft top and sidescreens.  It was delivered to Standard Triumph Motor Co.

Hans Kooy told me he also had a LH TR3A in the same colour.

Anyone else got that colour originally?

Brother’s TR3A car was originally Silverstone Grey with matching hardtop and Silverstone grey interior.  He still has the seats and hardtop in those colours.  

Peter W

I have found at least two gray TR's while browsing in the past, they're gone.  This one doesn't look as dark as the ones I have seen before:

https://www.smartmotorguide.com/L52362136