Volt meter fitted

John - I wouldn't bother to change to a voltmeter. 

Since 1993, I have been running my TR4 on an alternator, with my original ammeter. 

My alternator, which is the type originally fitted to the TR7, is rated at 34 amps maximum, but even with the battery low, I've never seen more than about 28 amps charging rate - and that doesn't last very long.

Ian Cornish

This is my dash now the ammeter has gone. ( yes I know many of you love them :rolleyes:)
see the start on the thread for the volt meter position on the other side of steering wheel 

it’s not a matching gauge I know that.

arranged so the temp gauges are in the bottom. The new oil temp is even in real temps C not the old money F) And the oil temp gauge like the new volt meter have their own panel lights incorporated :D

CD15D863-6ECA-4548-A3A8-89B50D32BFAA.jpeg

Thanks Ian & Bob,

I'd be happy enough to keep the ammeter in circuit but I just discovered after digging these things out of boxes that the ammeter is a "Smiths" so is not original.

I explored the web last night and I saw a very nice Jaeger voltmeter which was auctioned off by the Canadian seller of Sunbeam Tiger and Alpine bit, if went for something like $180!

John

John - is it the box that says Smiths, or the ammeter itself?

Ammeters were always Lucas - see Bill Piggott's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A".

Having gone to the garage, it was Lucas for TR4, and I suspect that would be the case for all models up to and including TR6.

I guess that the logic is that amps are electrical!

The other gauges are Jaeger.

When special wiring was required for the Works' TR4 Rally Cars (1962), it was a technician from Lucas who undertook the job - and I can vouch that he did an excellent job.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc
1 hour ago, John Reilly said:

Hamish,

What are the switches to the left and right of your instrument panel used for?

John

The one on the left is a pull override rad fan switch there is a light under the dash when the fan is on.

on the right under the steering wheel is the screen washer push switch 

On 3/3/2021 at 9:19 PM, John Reilly said:

Is it possible to get a Jaeger voltmeter similar to the ammeter it might replace in the instrument panel?

John

Hi John 

Your question, not that I'm aware of, so I had one made, top hung, no shroud, early dome glass as mine is '62 TR4. Took a modern Voltmeter and got Speedy cables to do a custom dial and graphics. However, to be period correct, for 62, only three of the four minor dials are Jaeger, the Ammeter was Lucas. However if your car is earlier then Jaeger might be correct (just wasn't for me) 

DSC_8210.JPG

Volts are Lucas.jpg

Ammeters have always been Lucas for TRs right from the beginning.

Stuart.

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 10:42 AM, Hamish said:

I braved the freezing garage today and fitted my voltmeter.

it is in place of a very early vacuum gauge so I didn’t need to cut the dash.

the feed is off the ignition switch and the light feed from the adjacent Rev counter bulb feed ( a bit bright tho !!)

i will be removing the ammeter and replacing it with an oil temp gauge when I get around to fitting my Ali sump with its temp sender boss. 

AAFCA432-E5E3-449E-8020-807692BD3A8D.jpeg

3ECCE675-DE44-4246-A1A3-C808F01D5885.jpeg

84B7A3B3-AB77-4234-B9C8-305C4E9828B1.jpeg

Hi Hamish,

What's the best way to ground the volt meter?  Not virtually.  :lol:

Cheers,

David