New Forum's Member from Germany with TR3A

2 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Well done and a great colour 

John

Thank you John!

But the green colour (John Deere green actually) is only for rust proofing. The body will be painted in Pearl White :rolleyes:

But for five seconds I had the intention of fitting yellow wheels :D

With reference to the first post..

'A man of wealth and taste.'

Dave

Good luck with the TR kit build ;)

Stuart.

Looking at the before and after pictures, there has been a monumental amount of work done, but, doesn't it look good.

If if we're me, I'd be delivering a huge sigh of relief, the worst part of the job is done.

Mechanicals are, for me, always easier than the mysteries of welding and compound curves

Good job

4 hours ago, Black Forest TR3A said:

And I gave all the nuts, bolts and small parts to the galvanic.

TR3A Schrauben 01.jpg

TR3A Schrauben 02.jpg

TR3A Schrauben 03.jpg

TR3A Schrauben 04.jpg

TR3A Schrauben 05.jpg

What is the black finish used on the metal plates and some of the bolts?

Here in Germany we call it "Schwarz verzinkt". Perhaps in English it's called "Japonised"?

Most of the AUTO, BEES, SPARTS, WILEY and BAX bolts were finished black, while LINREAD and CRANES were silver or without finish.

OK, when I dismantled the car, most bolts were brown... :P

For the bolts: I try to reuse most of the original bolts (with the original markings of the 50ies). I was able to buy a complete second set from a California TR3A, which was dismantled and sold in pieces (no papers, no VIN).

6 hours ago, Black Forest TR3A said:

Here in Germany we call it "Schwarz verzinkt". Perhaps in English it's called "Japonised"?

Most of the AUTO, BEES, SPARTS, WILEY and BAX bolts were finished black, while LINREAD and CRANES were silver or without finish.

thank you.

On 4/11/2024 at 2:07 PM, Black Forest TR3A said:

Gents

A question

That would be 'Black Japanned' wouldn't it, or am I on the wrong page . . . .again?

18 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Gents

A question

That would be 'Black Japanned' wouldn't it, or am I on the wrong page . . . .again?

You are correct. Obviously translation differs.

Stuart.

Japanning is lacquer or varnish - I doubt that would be used on bolts.  I think the original (cheap) finish for bolts is black oxide.

The translation of 'Schwarz verzinkt' is black galvanised. 

Edited by RobH
typo
9 hours ago, RobH said:

Japanning is lacquer or varnish - I doubt that would be used on bolts.  I think the original (cheap) finish for bolts is black oxide.

As in black  phosphate finish.?

I think there is also a black chromate finish for zinc and cadmium plating.   Best of luck with getting cadmium plating done today.   The cadmium plated bolts I did for my TR2 engine in the process shop as an apprentice 50 + years ago are still rust free.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Best of luck with getting cadmium plating done today.

Yes- restricted by the RoHS Directive, which is why silver-solder has changed too as the good low-temperature stuff (Easiflo) had cadmium in it.  

3 hours ago, RobH said:

Yes- restricted by the RoHS Directive, which is why silver-solder has changed too as the good low-temperature stuff (Easiflo) had cadmium in it.  

Luckily I have enough to see me out !

Bob

On 4/12/2024 at 4:57 PM, RobH said:

I think Rob is right with that.

I see that in the UK you have the same problems with cadmium plating, silver solder etc. like we here in Germany (or the EU).

Here in Freiburg we're lucky to have a small galvanisation firm that still does black galvanisation. And they are very good in small (and very small) parts. Never lost a part...

The link is: https://galvanik.hier-im-netz.de/