Trunnion & Stub Axle Questions

I'm stripping down the front suspension and am finding it impossible to remove the pivot bolt from the tunnion bracket.

DSCN9554.jpg

The bolt and trunnion will turn together so lower wishbone bushes are free. However when I block the trunnion bracket housing from turning the effot to turn the bolt is extreem - even using an extended breaker bar. A club hammer on the castle nut will not shift it either.

Q. Should this bolt simply come out? To do so I would have to really put a lot of pressure on it so am I missing something.

The stub axle shaft does not seem to want to come out of the vertical link.

DSCN9556.jpg

Should I try harder or use my bearing press to shift it?

Sounds like the bolt is seized in the trunnion, more brute force and ignorance should shift it. Or angry grinder if a new trunnion is on the shopping list.

Stud axle discussed recently, a quick search will reveal numerous methods.

Penetrating oil (not WD40), patience and sensitive application of brute force will most likely get this free. If that doesn't work, try heating the trunnion with a blowlamp. At this stage, it doesn't matter if the outer wishbone bushes begin to melt.

Nigel

Bolt probably seized to the distance piece rather than the trunnion itself, you could try some heat, a bigger hammer and a bigger swing - worse case you may have to sacrifice the trunion  itself as mentioned above.

....... Andy 

4 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Bolt probably seized to the distance piece rather than the trunnion itself, you could try some heat, a bigger hammer and a bigger swing - worse case you may have to sacrifice the trunion  itself as mentioned above.

....... Andy 

The steel bolt has frozen onto the steel tube/bush. The bronze trunion would not normally seize onto the steel tube.

You could drill the head off the bolt. This would allow you to remove the rear wishbone from the chassis complete with the bolt remains to be attacked on the bench.

You need a substantial block to support the job when you are hammering away.

Roger  

14 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

I'm stripping down the front suspension and am finding it impossible to remove the pivot bolt from the tunnion bracket.

DSCN9554.jpg

The bolt and trunnion will turn together so lower wishbone bushes are free. However when I block the trunnion bracket housing from turning the effot to turn the bolt is extreem - even using an extended breaker bar. A club hammer on the castle nut will not shift it either.

Q. Should this bolt simply come out? To do so I would have to really put a lot of pressure on it so am I missing something.

The stub axle shaft does not seem to want to come out of the vertical link.

DSCN9556.jpg

Should I try harder or use my bearing press to shift it?

I had that problem when I dismantled my front suspension, in the end I had to borrow a heavy duty nut runner and it came off in under 5 seconds! It was well rusted like yours!

Bruce.

Do you have a hack saw or angle grinder?  

If so hack saw/angle grind horizontally along the trunion pivot nut, parallel to the bolt but sufficiently away from the bolt diameter so as NOT to cut the bolt thread.  This will thin the nut wall where it grips the bolt.  That may well be a trick to undo the nut.  Clipping/cutting the washer on the end of the wishbone under the nut is OK as you will be chucking that away.

Repair Kit  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4A-TR5-TR6-RELIANT-SCIMITAR-FRONT-TRUNNION-REPAIR-KIT-142379/360275441798?_trkparms=aid%3D1110001%26algo%3DSPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160323102634%26meid%3De38f3d737ecf4458aa6ccbb263011ae1%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D282623223133%26itm%3D360275441798%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

The next issue after undoing the nut will be getting the bolt out of the steel sleeves that run inside the nylon top hat bushes, that are pressed in the wishbone arm ends.  As Roger has stated do not bash the heck out of the bolt on the car unless you support the wishbone arms - you'll bend something.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

One thing I strongly suggest you buy is the poly trunnion to vertical link seal. I rebuilt my suspension about 6 years ago with rubber ones  and wish I fitted poly then. So I’ve just replaced the old ones which were all split and turned to jelly. A big job to replace a small piece. 

Stub axle: OK, good old bearing press came into use so instant release here.

Trunnion pivot bolt: It was well a nd truly stuck as my breaker bar (actually extended!)  refused to turn so removed wishbone from car into bench vice. In an above post penetrating oil was suggested and somewhere Kroil was suggested as the best possible. Yeh, yeh. Anyway anything to save buying a new trunnion as no doubt I'd damage it with drilling, grinding, heating, etc. I bought some Kroil. Squirted a bit on and waited the 10 mins they suggested. I could not believe it as it worked. A few minutes working it loose bolt came out. That's a result, then.