Aftermarket Rocker Covers (caution)!

With the weather being so bad today I have been carrying out a few jobs on the car. A slight rattle could be heard from the rocker gear so as a precaution I thought I'd re-check the valve clearances.

On removal of the rocker cover there are witness marks corresponding to all twelve valves where I suspect the valve spring caps have been making contact with the cover (see attached photo). No damage found on spring caps due to them being made of tougher stuff.

I now fear I have aluminium dust floating around my engine!!!

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

post-6267-0-03634500-1534608184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard71

Back to the topic......

I have the same cover, which leaked when i bought the car with it already fitted.

Upon investigation turned out the PO had fitted a cork gasket when the cover is meant to have a huge o ring stuck in its groove

I ordered the oring from Racetorations, over £30 !, fitted it and no leak since, well not THAT leak anyway!

I found the cover had a degree of lateral movement possible before the three securing bolts were tightened, so perhaps thats the problem here, it needs to be slid away from the rocker ends a smidge before tightening?

Steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

Back to the topic......

I have the same cover, which leaked when i bought the car with it already fitted.

Upon investigation turned out the PO had fitted a cork gasket when the cover is meant to have a huge o ring stuck in its groove

I ordered the oring from Racetorations, over £30 !, fitted it and no leak since, well not THAT leak anyway!

I found the cover had a degree of lateral movement possible before the three securing bolts were tightened, so perhaps thats the problem here, it needs to be slid away from the rocker ends a smidge before tightening?

Steve

Thanks Steve,

That's exactly what I've been thinking. These rocker covers are quite expensive, you would think there would be far less play in the three stud holes, after all, there's no issue with the factory made pressed steel offering.

Richard.

Back to the topic......

Steve

Hi Steve,

I obtained my Racetorations cover from a garage clear out of a friend, I put it on my car and it leaked oil from the neck. I complained to Racetorations and sent it back and they put a new neck on it. I refitted it and it leaked again? so it went back again! But it still leaked so after careful inspection we did not like the way filler tube was fitted and we remove it. It became very evident why it was leaking. The swaged tube was meant to seal on a unmachined sand casting finish! Crap in other words! Now we know why it was taken off? Just by chance we had a spare aluminium motor cycle oil tank tube plus filler cap. We counter bored the cover tapped the tube in, took it over to John the RR approved welder who welded it on. No more leaking dry as a bone! I spoke to the owner of Raceterations again who threw an almighty woberler and put the phone down on me. Would I deal with them again? NO! My advice is keep clear of them!

Bruce.

Hi Steve,

I obtained my Racetorations cover from a garage clear out of a friend, I put it on my car and it leaked oil from the neck. I complained to Racetorations and sent it back and they put a new neck on it. I refitted it and it leaked again? so it went back again! But it still leaked so after careful inspection we did not like the way filler tube was fitted and we remove it. It became very evident why it was leaking. The swaged tube was meant to seal on a unmachined sand casting finish! Crap in other words! Now we know why it was taken off? Just by chance we had a spare aluminium motor cycle oil tank tube plus filler cap. We counter bored the cover tapped the tube in, took it over to John the RR approved welder who welded it on. No more leaking dry as a bone! I spoke to the owner of Raceterations again who threw an almighty woberler and put the phone down on me. Would I deal with them again? NO! My advice is keep clear of them!

Bruce.

Not good to hear, sorry Bruce!

Hi Steve,

Bruce.

Wow Bruce, that’s terrible

I thought racetorations were a quality operation .....

Steve