Screen frame chrome plating.

Hello All,

Has anyone had a screen frame chrome plated recently?

If so what sort of price?

Any recommended platers in the Hereford area?

I would guess that Brum would be the closest place; I’ve noticed several companies there that do plating, but which is the best value for money?

I want it to be close enough to be able to deliver and collect in person. (Something as “Bendable” as a screen frame might not stand up to being posted.)

Looking at previous posts on plating in general, I get the impression that the cost varies a lot, but does that reflect quality or greed?

Charlie D.

Hello Charlie,

I have never seen a Screen Frame Chromed, are you sure about this,

It's a large item and would be expensive, the cost is all about the process different companies use !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hello Conrad,

I think you must be getting confused with those modern TR’s with posh things like wind up windows, and painted screen frames.

Mine is a 3A.

Charlie.

I had quotes that varied between £200 and £500 for the complete works to be plated. The £500 was from London Chrome plating (or something like that ) as recommended by Stuart, the bottom quote was a local company. I went with the local company, they did an all right job but not perfect.

Rgds Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the reply.
When you say “The complete works” do you mean the two stanchions and the thin plates as well?

If so I don’t think £200 is too bad. £500 sounds horrendous, but I guess that is a "London price".

I’m not after an immaculate finish, just enough to not look worn out, which mine does at the moment.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

In the process of getting this done for my TR 2 but I suggest that all screen items are done at the same time, frame, stantions, tenon and corner plates. If not it looks a half assed job.

It's all in the finishing work before chrome plating. For the screen only £500 does seem a bit high but they are concours finish guys.

I expect to be all in around £400 from my guy and that is the full screen parts, door escutcheon plates handbrake etc.

These guys do Aston martin DB2/4, E type series 1 so they can and do quality work, I know, he showed me.

Drop me a pm with your email address and I'll send a picture of my 3A with the screen done by the guy who will be doing my TR2 one.

No idea how to post pictures on here now.

Rod.

No idea how to post pictures on here now.

Rod.

Assuming you have pictures in the device you are using to be on this forum, then Click on "More reply options" (below)

Then click on "Choose file" Select the file (picture) you want, & click on "open".

Then click on "Attach this file", Position the cursor on your post where you want the photo to be, & click on "Add to Post"

post-12009-0-84156700-1532110140_thumb.jpg

Like so.

Then "Add Reply" & your post is er posted, & you will see the photo.

Bob.

A friend has just had the screen frame of a TR2 chromed by SilvaBronz of Alton , Hampshire - stunning quality.

http://www.beckworth.net/

They chromed for my TR3A - 2 x front overriders, 2 x screen stanchions, 2 x screen stanchion guide plates, 1 x front badge, 1 x front bumper bar. All was grotty with dents and bends. Whole lot was less than GB £ 600.00

It took nearly 3 months from delivery to collection. - Their current waiting time is 6 months.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Rod,

Photo posting

Click on - more reply options - bottom right corner

Click on - choose file - left hand side

Select your pics

Click on - attach this file - left hand side

Place cursor where you want the pic.

Click on - add file - right hand side.

Note the pic must not be too big. 100Kb is nice. I use MS Paint to resize.

Roger

I met a guy at a car show about three years ago who had a small stand with nice brochures advertising chrome plating. According to his literature he has some vip customers in UK and the continent. I took a chance and sent off the frame (well packed) the stanchions, and four or five other little bits. He was a month late on the delivery date but the quality is excellent. I paid by bank transfer about £380. Everything came back well packed and in good condition.

Www.galvaniksystems.com. I sent them a picture first and they provided a quote.

I met a guy at a car show about three years ago who had a small stand with nice brochures advertising chrome plating. According to his literature he has some vip customers in UK and the continent. I took a chance and sent off the frame (well packed) the stanchions, and four or five other little bits. He was a month late on the delivery date but the quality is excellent. I paid by bank transfer about £380. Everything came back well packed and in good condition.

Www.galvaniksystems.com. I sent them a picture first and they provided a quote.

There are no results on a search for this company Im afraid.

Stuart.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I may have sourced a better screen frame than the one I have, so I may well be sorted.

Still interesting to read about the variations in prices though.

Charlie.