New French road speed limits from July 1, 2018 - Don't get caught!

Trust it is okay to post here as I know a few of our cars will be venturing over the channel this summer.

Due to a surge in road traffic deaths the French Government has cut speed limits as from 1 July 2018 (just before the school holidays and rush over the channel). A lot of websites offering details of the French speed limits have not caught up with the changes as yet.

The changes are on the two-lane roads outside built-up areas;

Pre 1 July 2018 - 90 kph (80 kph in wet weather) 56 mph (50 mph in wet weather)

After 1 July 2018 - 80 kph (70 kph in wet weather) 50 mph (43mph in wet weather)

These secondary roads where the cut applies are the French equivalent to our A and B roads in the UK – excluding dual carriageways.

Suggest you do your own research with up to date websites as we all know what the french traffic police are like, we're pretty high on their radar.

If you know of anyone currently out there might be prudent to let them know asap.

;)

Between Orleans and Le Mans this morning, I followed a French car for many miles. He was diligently keeping to 90 kph on a D road,so I kept behind him,following his example and as a control on my throttle on long straight French roads. Clearly the new rule has not penetrated all Francaises!

John

Sad to say I've been a target for the so called French Police twice over the past 10 years. Each time I was sticking to the limit behind other French cars who were not stopped and fined on the spot or told my vehicle would be impounded.

Result I refuse to drive or holiday in France. Think they need to remember who has bailed them out on at least three occassions!

Best of luck.

Thanks John for the link, I had a look and the cameras seem to be everywhere.

PodOne - One way round the French Traffic police stopping you for 'alleged' speeding is to fit a dash-cam which also records your speed on the road as well. When stopped save pre five mnutes before the time and location of the alleged offence then show it to the French Old Bill. I would then say I will produce this in my defence and claim for all costs involved, this is travel expenses and legals etc for the wrongful prosecution. I doubt it would come to that, however, if he still stuck you on then just sending a video clip by email to the prosecutor should halt any prosecution.

That might be enough for him/her to wave you away or be a red drag to a bull!

When I venture over the water, only got my 5 in August 17, I will be adding a dash-cam defence for the reasons you have mentioned above. Easier for me to say about taking on the french traffic cops but I'm ex Met Pol and would do it on principle. In my service I never done anyone for speeding, it was purely words of advice and everything was hunky dory. ;)

Best wishes,

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas

Just back from Classic Le Mans. My return journey was both D roads and Autoroutes and no one, UK or French was keeping to the new limits. Sure a vengeful traffic cop might pick on a Brit, but I didn't see a single one.

John

I've just done a 2600kms around France, some were sticking to the limit some weren't, passed a few fixed cameras painted over, and hear today some departments don't agree with this speed and wont be prosecuting, but cannot be sure which ones I'm afraid.

I must say I do enjoy the yellow and some white roads on the Michelin maps, especially Sundays as no trucks allowed....even better, I don't use the motorways.

The French have introduced some private operated speed camera cars to be installed in all departments, but many are objecting to these as well, they are really trying to reduce the road deaths, but its really the driving behaviour that needs to change, my main hate is they will drive around the outside of the roundabouts even if they want to get off at the 3rd exit!

John

I did pass a Merc saloon, with authentic blue and white stripes down the side, blue lights on the roof and large "Polizei" signs. That it had UK reg numbers was a giveaway. Plonkers.

John

I did pass a Merc saloon, with authentic blue and white stripes down the side, blue lights on the roof and large "Polizei" signs. That it had UK reg numbers was a giveaway. Plonkers.

John

Interplonk

Dave

How about this one returning from Le Manns ( I guess) with a couple of Classics, Mercedes Sports and a fab Mustang-on M25 towards LHR yesterday evening.

post-4113-0-98305500-1531217682_thumb.jpeg

Sue

Edited by RogerH

There are plonkers and superplonkers. On M42, I was passed by a red Ferrari. Not just a red Ferrari, but with gold-flecked paintwork and golden Prancing Horses. And a regno. Of "Y2".

He did a bit of lane jogging in front of me, failed to advance, of course and when I passed him, he was on the phone. What sortputs his hand in his pocket for that sort of bling, but not a hands free?

Right - a superdooperplonker!!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

The Air Zones, Anyone need further info check the French website, if your vehicle is over a certain age then there is no air quality disc available anyway which we assumed that that means your not allowed in.

Re Speed limits, I have just spent a week in central France north of Bourges, many roads have the road signs for 80kph (50mph) but most locals pass us doing 90kph or more on straight stretches.

They do slow down when approaching villages as they nearly all have 30kph signs which is barely 20mph and some very sharp speed humps which could destroy a TR

Chris

Edited by potts4a

Apols in advance for shifting countries, but with our top speed here of 110KPH this memory popped up.

First trip on the Deutsch motorway thought I'd pull into the outside lane, plant the foot in the mercedes 250, and do the ton for the first time ever.

Just as the speedo reached 100MPH I had a shoofty in the rear vision mirror, and saw the Porsche sitting on my bumper flashing his lights.