Magnetic Pick-up tool

Hi Folks,

I'm after 6 of so magnets on a stick.

I've hunted high and low but can't find what I need - length apprx 6" x Magnet diameter apprx 1/4" lift capacity 1lb or so.

I can find big ones but they will not fit where I plan to insert them

There were only big ones at Stoneleigh the other day.

I have a cunning job for them

Roger

I am guessing you need to keep the cam followers lifted whilst you change another cam with the head on.

But why only 6 magnets ?

Aha-After reading your previous post, the pupose is clear. I did the same trick on a TR6. You can also whittle wood dowels to fit the bore of the lifters or bend a hook in a piece of wire.After raising the lifters, I used clothes pins on the dowels or wires to hold them in place while removing the cam.

Berry

Aha-After reading your previous post, the pupose is clear. I did the same trick on a TR6. You can also whittle wood dowels to fit the bore of the lifters or bend a hook in a piece of wire.After raising the lifters, I used clothes pins on the dowels or wires to hold them in place while removing the cam.

Berry

Hi Berry,

I like the idea of the bent wire springy thing.

Roger

Hi Folks,

I've got you all running round searching for magnets but I have just realised something important.

I need to take the head off in order to remove a valve spring to test its poundage.

I could use the string technique on one but don;t fancy it on all 8 if needs be.

It's that Cluley chap, he put the magnet idea in my head - it's sabotage.

Roger

I have a few of these lettle magnets you’re welcome to borrow Roger, i’ll be home most of thirs/fri if its urgent!

(Could bring them to Richmond on thurs lunchtime also)

Steve

Hi Steve,

that is very kind but hold fire. I need to get my modus operandi sorted.

I need to find my old valve springs. Then take one off the car and compare. And then decided which way to go.

Roger

Ah yes Modus Operandi ( she was in the same class as me at primary school :wub: ) beware the 'short cut' I spent 3 Hrs trying to get the top nut done up on OUV's new high torque starter motor. I was convinced my approach was quicker than the alternative of removing the seats, carpets and transmission tunnel. Hm after 3 Hrs trying and only getting half a flat turn at a time on the nut, I did did it the 'proper way' and had it all done in an hour and a half ! :ph34r:

Hi Stuart,

thanks for the reply - I was on the brink of indecision and you have pushed me over.

I will try it on the one suspect dodgy valve spring. If that springs is to stiff by comparison to my old ones then I will know what to do.

Graham,

if you have a plastic GB tunnel then simply cut a hole in it apprx where the SS top nut is. I did this in a field in the Lake District with a pen knife.

Saved hours and knuckles.

Roger.

Hi Stuart,

thanks for the reply - I was on the brink of indecision and you have pushed me over.

I will try it on the one suspect dodgy valve spring. If that springs is to stiff by comparison to my old ones then I will know what to do.

Graham,

if you have a plastic GB tunnel then simply cut a hole in it apprx where the SS top nut is. I did this in a field in the Lake District with a pen knife.

Saved hours and knuckles.

Roger.

No afraid it the original steel one, so would have needed a pretty robust pen knife!

Whilst pondering your magnet issue, I was wondering if instead of 8 small magnets with not a lot pull, and the small risk that one might drop, how about one really big magnet (provided you don't have alloy push rods) take a piece of 1" square section about length of rocket shaft, tape the pushrods to it to keep them in good contact and in place, lower pushrods down inside followers, and then put a bloody big magnet on the square section.

Alan (well someone has to experiment)

You don't need to remove the head to remove/change the valve spring, let alone the camshaft.

If you change a cam with a worn out lobe the corresponding follower will likely be shagged and will prematurely kill your new cam.

Hi Andy,

The followers that are in there have only done 500 mile or so.

If there is any sign of anything on the removed 'new; cam I'll pull the head.

I should be able to look at the contact face of the followers with my boroscope.

Roger