Steel wheels

I'm playing with the idea of getting a set of original steel wheels to give the car an alternative look. What is the size and does anyone know where I can get them?

Thanks

Edited by qim
Hi Camilo ~

You need to get 4.5" x 15" wheels. But I believe that you'll have to change your wheel studs to fit them.

The wheel studs for your wire wheels are a different length. You can't change from wire wheels to steel wheels to give that 'alternative' look.

It's either one or the other.

Most TR spare part dealers should be able to sell you good second-hand steel wheels.

Here's my solution to the 'alternative' look. These Dunlop alloy wheels fit directly to the wire wheel hubs.

Tom.

I have TR6 steels on my 3a.

The pics Ive seen of yours look great. A really top notch job. You cant be that far away from getting it on the road. Even if not finished to your high standards.

H

Hi Camilo ~

You need to get 4.5" x 15" wheels. But I believe that you'll have to change your wheel studs to fit them.

The wheel studs for your wire wheels are a different length. You can't change from wire wheels to steel wheels to give that 'alternative' look.

It's either one or the other.

Most TR spare part dealers should be able to sell you good second-hand steel wheels.

Here's my solution to the 'alternative' look. These Dunlop alloy wheels fit directly to the wire wheel hubs.

Tom.

Hi Tom

I want to use the original hub caps/emblems, so, from an earlier thread, I would need the real McCoy.

Let me see if I can understand this thread:

TR3As had 4" (internal) wheels but 4.5" were introduced later, and most important (to me) it is quite adequate and safe to use 4.5" wheels nstead of my current wire wheels (which I am afraid at this moment I do not know their size)

My understanding is that the steel wheels on a TR3A are 4" although different from the TR2 wheels by vitue of being strengthened. If you want to put hub caps on them you will need the 4" wheels with the spigots to hold the cap in place. Check that before you commit to a set of wheels.

regards

Tim

Hi Alec

Just been down to the car. I am not sure if I have 60 spoke or 70/72 spoke (not 48, for sure). I have 165HR15 tyres and would use them on steel wheels. From the previous post, and assuming 60 spoke (I will go back and count them...) I would need 4.5" for a TR3A pre-60000, right?

Jsut read Tim's post and I am back where I started... as I want to put hub caps on them. Are there 4.5" that take the hub caps?

Edited by qim

Thank you Rob

meanwhile I've been reading to find out what this 4.5" or 4.5J means in relation to my tyres that are 165x15". How does 15" turn into 4.5J?

I found this, and wish I had not as I am now totally confused (insets, offsets, etc):

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Happy reading!

Edited by qim

15 inch is the wheel diameter while 4.5 is the width of the rim. A 165/80 x 15 tyre is fine on the 4.5 inch rim. (80 is the profile of the tyre cross-section i.e. its height is 80% of its width). No need to worry about the inset/offset - you have no choice on that if you are buying standard TR wheels.

Hi Alec

Just been down to the car. I am not sure if I have 60 spoke or 70/72 spoke (not 48, for sure). I have 165HR15 tyres and would use them on steel wheels. From the previous post, and assuming 60 spoke (I will go back and count them...) I would need 4.5" for a TR3A pre-60000, right?

Jsut read Tim's post and I am back where I started... as I want to put hub caps on them. Are there 4.5" that take the hub caps?

I just checked what I could and find that what I can see would support Mr. Pringle's contention that the sidescreens used 4' wheels even though some of the literature contends otherwise. All of my 48 spoke wires are 4 inch. The one disc that I can find without a tyre is 4 inch. I have no idea where these wheels originated except that they were Triumph.

What I can say that might be helpful is that my car, TS58023, has 165HR15 Michelin radials on it's original disc wheels with hubcaps and the fit is fine.

Tom