Hi Guys

I have fitted two new tyres to the back of my 3A, 165 R80 x 15 x 87T Continental Contact make, but the left rear one squeels like hell when we go round a roundabout, ( don´t forget, we go the other way round with LHD roads) the right one only very slightly.

Any ideas as to why this should be? The old tyres wore out perfectly so there is no mis-alignment with the rear axle. I wondered if it could be that the road surfaces were a little too hot and affected the tar somehow.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I had those fitted to my 4a and they did exactly the same. It sounded like the sound track from a Hollywood movie.

Awful things.

The Firestone F560 worked perfectly but have been discontinued.

The Vredstein Classic Sprint work very well with no sound.

The Vredstain T-Track also work well and you have to force them to make the slightest noise.

Do lots of straight miles and get rid of the Continentals.

Roger

Old tyres squeel is understandable, bur why would a NEW rear wheel installed tyre squeel on a TR6? Since this is a tyre fitted to many cars, could there be something less optimal, like rear wheel alignment, that is causing this?

Waldi

Hi Roger, yes, that will contribute.

On my previous TR6, long long ago, very old and dry Michelins were fitted, they squeeled, even with slow cornering and almost no throttle. People turned their heads, expecting an idiot in racing mode, but it was me (still an idiot now and then by the way).

Regards,

Waldi

Steve

You can't go too fast around roundabouts. I had Continentals on from the rebuild and they never made any noise so that is why I kept to them. Also in Spain they don't allow you to have different tyres on the car even if the are the same both sides either front or back.

When it's time to change all four, I will import Vredesteins, possibly from Holland.

Dave