Switch & warning light space.

Hi folks,

I have always had a problem finding space on the dash etc to fit extra switches or warning lights etc.

For the electric windows I fitted the switches to the GB tunnel - thus not damaging the 'H' support or the dash.

Late last year I removed the radio and fitted a plate in its space.

The leccy window switches are now there as is the hazard warning switch.

I knocked up an OD logic box that operates with a press button switch. This gives no indication of its status.

So I fitted a LED on the radio blanking plate. It worked well but I have to go out of my way to see it (bottom left hand corner of my vision).

This needed some thinking about.

Today I think I have come up with a neat answer.

The cowls that fit over the Light and indicator switches have more than enough space inside to take any extra wires.

Roger

Pic #1 light off - no OD

Pic #2 light on - OD on.

Hi Roger

Have you fitted a dimmer on the light to stop it annoying you a night? Revingtons has this facility which comes on with the sidelights being on. Neat.

Cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

until recently I never thought about it but a friend of mine asked if it could be dimmed.

So, yes it does dim and I also use the side lights.

Originally I was going to use the dash lights.

This would allow the side/dip lights to be on during the day and the OD warning light could be brought up to full power by

turning the dash lights down with the dash rheostat.

Maybe the next incarnation.

Roger

Hi Neil,

I'm sure they do, and it would be a very neat solution. However I could end up with a bucket of parts if I tried that.

Putting the LED in the switch cowl is a simple cheap method that can easily be reversed and is inexpensive.

The only awkward thing is getting the two wires down the steering column without taking it all to pieces.

Roger

I have my O/D warning light (via logic box) in the lower right hand side of the dash and in this position it somehow also reflects in the drivers door mirror which is great as you take it in while doing your regular mirror round (You do all check your mirrors regularly dont you?)

Stuart.

You have Alfa Romeos as well Roger?

Pete[/quote

Ahhhhh! Reminds me of Cathys Crowd in Petticoat in the 60s, very MOD.

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi folks,

I have always had a problem finding space on the dash etc to fit extra switches or warning lights etc.

For the electric windows I fitted the switches to the GB tunnel - thus not damaging the 'H' support or the dash.

I knocked up an OD logic box that operates with a press button switch. This gives no indication of its status.

So I fitted a LED on the radio blanking plate. It worked well but I have to go out of my way to see it (bottom left hand corner of my vision).

The cowls that fit over the Light and indicator switches have more than enough space inside to take any extra wires.

Roger

I stuck mine down among the lowest switches. I don't have yer fancy logic boxes so (from memory*) took the feed off the relay.

* you can see I don't trust mine.

post-3863-0-64478500-1498984636_thumb.jpg

Edited by littlejim

Hi Jim,

if you are using the standard column switch then a warning light is less of a problem.

The logic box requires a momentary switch, so it is of no help as is always in the same position.

I had my original light near to where you have yours but was not always where I was looking.

The new position is at the bottom of my looking forward vision, so should always be in view.

Not been too well the last week (I've got what looks like one 'mump' - left side cheek swelling) so haven't had time to take the car out to see what it looks like.

Not for the purist though.

Roger

Hi Bob,

you are so caring, many thanks.

Seriously though last Tuesday my head looked as though it was in one of those fairground bent mirrors. The lump was about half a golf ball size.

Looking at the Google site it was definitely a contender for the 'one Mump award of the Month' thankfully the Doc didn't agree.

Little Jim suggested it may be a blocked saliva duct but apart from the swelling there are no other symptoms to go with that.

Could be an infection of the gland but again the antibiotics are having little effect after two days of pills.

Will see the Doc later in the week - if I make it.

Roger

Roger.

I had a lump the size of a golf ball on my cheek once.

I was under my Stag, trying to undo a propshaft UJ bolt, socket on nut, spanner on bolt head - pulling like hell, then the socket suddenly slipped off the nut, & it plus the ratchet handle flew towards my face at a rate of knots.

"Ouch" I said. (or similar)

I was amazed how quickly the lump came up - it was there before I had wriggled out from under the car !

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I've wracked my brains and can't for the life of me remember being under your Stag and bashing my bonce.

Indeed impact bumps are very quick to react. Only just a fraction slower than the pain.

Roger

Hi Pete,

I accept defeat - you have me beaten.

Three years ago I nearly bought a rather weather beaten spyder.

In the garden of the Gurnard Head hotel Cornwall. It had been laid up for apprx 5 years.

Vandalised by the local lads and mother nature planted a tree inside it.

Sadly it was seriously well gone.

However a year later the hotel owner had moved on and the Spyder was gone.

Lucky escape.

Roger

Hi folks,

Roger

Pic #1 light off - no OD

attachicon.gifP1060030a.jpg

Pic #2 light on - OD on.

attachicon.gifP1060031a.jpg

Nice & tidy Roger. I have a similar arrangement on the 4A with the light in the ashtray along with a warning light to show when the fan comes on. My friend carefully drilled 2 holes in the Bakelite ashtray with his vertical drill & there was just enough room in the unit for the connectors & wiring. Works well & looks neat like yours.

Cheers.

Hi Monty,

the cars are not that precious that you can't do your own thing now and again.

I had a similar thought a few years back about the ash tray.

I removed the ash tray it self and fitted a Stainless plate in the hole and fitted various LED's.

It did the job but was not pretty. The beauty of using the ash tray is that it still looks like an ash tray (but with lights).

I eventually did a test drive of my little LED. I was concerned that during day light hours and the angle of the LED it may not be visible enough.

No problems there; The light is easily visible.

Roger

Hi Monty,

the cars are not that precious that you can't do your own thing now and again.

I had a similar thought a few years back about the ash tray.

I removed the ash tray it self and fitted a Stainless plate in the hole and fitted various LED's.

It did the job but was not pretty. The beauty of using the ash tray is that it still looks like an ash tray (but with lights).

I eventually did a test drive of my little LED. I was concerned that during day light hours and the angle of the LED it may not be visible enough.

No problems there; The light is easily visible.

Roger

Hi Roger

Like you I fitted the overdrive warning and the fuel cut out warning lights and the satnav wire in the ashtray. You can just see them in the attached picture. But I like your idea. A bit late now.

best Bill

post-391-0-75438300-1499085192_thumb.jpg