Steering Shaft Flexible Coupling

Kevin, Can't disagree with your preference for OEM, although 1970s rubber must be a bit tired by now. At least I can see the coupling's rubber when it starts to perish.

Peter

Yes I agree although the type of rubber used seems to be extremely resistant to fatigue and ageing. Here's a better photo of a used coupling which shows the rubberised disc in the centre.

post-12159-0-79700400-1496479718_thumb.jpeg

I replaced the rubber couplings on the 4A with steel TR6 ones from Moss at both ends of the column. The improvement in steering feel was substantial. If you open the bonnet and have a look at how far the steering wheel moves before the message arrives at the rack after all that rubber has compressed, you can see that you are not steering, you are making suggestions. Even on Australian roads, I have never had a problem with kickback.

Unfortunately, the Moss ones wore out in 5000km. I then tried some from Borgeson in the US. Beautifully made, as you would expect from a company that has made UJs for 100 years, but they have a locking Allen key grub screw which goes in the groove on the shaft instead of the clamping system of the Triumph ones. So they loosen off gradually and have to be retightened. Next will be the Revington ones which are about twice the size of the Moss ones and which Revington claim have never given problems. We shall see.

By the way Peter, the steering column is not fixed at the top, so it can move in and out like a spline. It does not put any force on either the rack or the firewall. And anyone who is relying on the rubber UJs or the "collapsible" part at the top of the column for protection in an accident would be better off duct taping a couple of pillows to the steering wheel.

Thanks for all the replies guys

Well what an arse of job that was :wacko:

Done and dusted now and another tick in the box for me :P

this is the state of the coupler glad I've changed it

IMG_1816_zpspk1iofyi.jpg

IMG_1817_zpsclhmvnle.jpg

IMG_1818_zpsu4ob37ty.jpg

:blink::blink::blink:

Not too bad for 2 year old repro rubber :unsure:

Peter

Hi Peter

Its a lot older than that I've had the car 8 years and I've never changed it before ;)

Its an original, the prof should know that?

So its not bad for a 44 year old piece of rubber then :blink::P:D

Strange enough when I replace the coupling on my 6 as preventive maintenance the old one from 1970 looked as new..still flexible and no cracks.. ;)

Thats because it was made of proper rubber unlike a lot of the modern offerings.

Stuart.

Strange enough when I replace the coupling on my 6 as preventive maintenance the old one from 1970 looked as new..still flexible and no cracks.. ;)

Mine too, Jean, an original from 1974. I refitted it, and left the new replacement to rot in a box.

I wonder if Clarkey's cracked 8+ year old was a repro ??

Peter

Mine too, Jean, an original from 1974. I refitted it, and left the new replacement to rot in a box.

I wonder if Clarkey's cracked 8+ year old was a repro ??

Peter

It may well have been. I guess if i went through the 2 A4 folders of receipts, I will find out :blink:;)

Hi Martin,

did you relieve the splined brackets to allow the clamp bolt to have some effect

Roger

attachicon.gifDSCF0079c.jpg

I did

I take it it was the right thing to do :rolleyes: