Reference TR6

I have just taken on a TR6 refurbishment (see Forum Post "Optimistic Rebuilt"), but have no experience with this model, (although i have owned a 4A since 1978), so it would be a great help to be able to take a look at some other cars to see where various parts fit etc.

I live in Camberley, Surrey, so somewhere within a 10-20 mile radius would be ideal. Ordinarily I might get lucky to see a TR6 at the Windsor Forest group monthly meeting, but I know that I will not be able to make the April session, and don't want to have to wait until May.

My car is a 1971 model, so with a CP PI engine, and at some time in the past it was fitted with a tubular exhaust manifold, now very rusty, and what I think is a Triumph Tune twin-pipe stainless steel system. A car with something approaching that set-up would be a bonus, but any reference car will be a great help.

Also it would be good if anyone is mid way through a restoration with their car off the ground, so I can take a good look at things like the routing for the hydraulic and fuel lines. A fair bit of the front O/S structure on mine is missing, so a prospect of taking a few templates from a sound body might be interesting.

Edited by RobinTR

Robin, hi, Roger Williams book Original Tr4/5/6 is a good reference as is his book on how to restore a tr. Both useful and both with lots of pictures. I have a workshop manual, the brown bible also very useful and as i have 2 you're welcome to borrow. I'm in Harrow so probably outside you're 20 miles but anyway let me know. My car is a later bodied car but restored to earlier pi spec, you're welcome to inspect. Good luck looks like you've got a proper challenge resto. Happily lots of help and knowledge here, just ask.

Robin

I have a fairly standard 1972 CP Pi up in Weybridge if that helps and an easy drive up the M3 from Camberley - or happy to take a run down to you one weekend if free now the weather is improving! As others have said, the brown book is invaluable, as is the Moss catalogue. You're not too far from Rees Bros in Aldershot and they regularly have 6's in their workshop and might be happy for you to pop over and take a look?

Cheers

Steve

Steve & Robin, thanks for the very kind offers. Weybridge is certainly closer, so that might be easier to coordinate, and be of added interest as the mine is the same colour! However, I also appreciate the offer from Robin, although the name business could be very confusing !

I presume that sending a PM would be the best way of arranging a day & time? Normally I am pretty free, including during daytime, but I do currently have a few things booked and would not want to put you guys to any inconvenience.

I am very familiar with the Moss catalogue, as also with the Rimmers website. You have both mentioned the brown book. I have seen these advertised on ebay and also I think they are stocked by Moss. In the past I have found that some modern reproductions of old workshop manuals have not been very satisfactory as the spines have been weak and pages thin and flimsy, so they quickly fall to bits. Having a look your manuals will help me decide where to place my purchase.

You need to talk to Andrew Smith as he only lives in Farnham so not far and his is pretty much as built.

Stuart.

Robin,

Brown book.

Could I suggest that you really need a brown book (paper) and also download the one from Steve http://vitessesteve.co.uk/. The paper one is great for the evenings in the lounge and sorting things out in your head, however once you need to start work on the car print out the relevant pages from the electronic version which you can cover with grubby fingerprints to your hearts content in the garage.

The download copy is not so easy to navigate through as the paper, so both is a good plan.

Alan

Hi Robin,

I am currently restoring 1972 TR6,

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/rebuilders-diary/2016/03/0058/TR6-Full-rebuild

I will be updating in next few days with details of fitting brake pipes/fuel lines.

You are welcome to PM me with questions you might/will have.

Regards

Richard Young.

Edited by Richard Young

Hi Robin

I also have a 72 CP - I live in Maidenhead. You are more than welcome anytime - At home weekdays most PM's onwards from 3ish - weekends ? - mm, who knows, but just drop me a PM. I'm also building a 5 at the moment.

best regards

Bill

You need to talk to Andrew Smith as he only lives in Farnham so not far and his is pretty much as built.

Stuart.

Robin,

Yes, I'm just down the road from you so if want to have a look at my original unrestored 1970 TR6 (Saffy) just let me know and we can fix up a date/time.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately I am going to be tied up this weekend, but BST is not far away, nor hopefully the brighter weather, so maybe an evening visit will be something that can be arranged before too long, if that is more convenient. I'll be in touch via PM

Regards

Robin