Gearbox top cover

Hi Folks,

can somebody confirm that the GB top cover can be fitted with the GB insitu.

I have the engine and GB out at present to inspect the prototype crank and sort out the oil leak in the GB selector rods.

The home made Orings that I fitted last winter did not do the job.

They remained in shape but had gone quite hard.

I am investigating Q-seals and lip seals at present.

These will not be here until Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday so in the mean time I was thinking of refitting the engine and GB and then fitting the top cover insitu.

I'm also toying with the idea of fitting the engine and GB separate. But I think this is doubling the work load.

The crank has done 8000+ miles since early May and I had planned to get in and look at it before the Winter.

All the big end shells and journals look perfect - a little shining on the shells but no wear.

The centre main looks perfect. As do the thrust washers.

The end float is still at 0.004"

I did a crack check of the #4 big-end journal/web radius and it is crack free - as you would expect with so low a mileage.

It will be nice to get the GB in with no leaks.

Roger

Yes Roger its not too difficult just get the selector forks lined up OK, its a bit more fiddly on an early box with the different reverse selector.

Stuart.

Roger, how have you managed 8000 miles since May, do you drive it every where?

Anyway well done looks like the crank could be a winner for most users.

Chris

Hi Alan,

the original seals are simple O-rings. Item #32 http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/gearboxes-external-components.html

I found these no good at all.

One of the forumites has put me onto Q-Seals. These are like a four leaf clover (or two O-rings back to back).

I'm also considering using lip seals but will have to wait for them to turn up and have a play.

The dimensions are 1/2" I/D. 11.16" O/D. 3/32" thick.

The min order for the Q-seals is 10 so I will have a few spares if you want any.

Roger