Sidescreen storage in the boot

I feel stupid asking this but my rebuilt sidescreens don't fit in the boot. I put them in with the metal brackets to the rear so they are under the curve of the rear panel but they still wont sit flat on the boot floor. The boot trim panel is installed correctly and is snug up against the tabs welded to the floor. I dont see how I can make more room.

What is the trick ?.

BTW I can see that once the sidescreens, soft top and tonneau are stored in the boot that pretty much fills it up.

Stan

post-917-0-67911200-1467731698_thumb.jpgpost-917-0-41924600-1467731717_thumb.jpgHi Stan, my sidescreens fit in the boot with the metal brackets facing the rear no plate panel with the brackets fitting either side of the central upright inside the boot, they both lie flat one on top of the other with plenty of room left for storage. Hope this helps, Cheers Bill.

Edited by billy l

mine are like Billy's in fact that looks like my boot ! the only difference is that I put mine in arm down to save the paint. You do have to gently persuade the top edge and flap past the respective front and rear boot lips, but nothing major. Be careful with the curved handle on the sliding windows as they can push through the thinner windows. I space mine with a few cloths between.

Yes the boot fills quickly - save space by taking just the soft top or tonneau - or neither !

Remember that you can also stand the side screens on the floor behind the seats - well you can in an early car with no rear 'seat'

ps, when you get the side screens in the boot, be careful not to knock out the wires to the indicators

Edited by McMuttley

Well done, Stan. Fitting sidescreens in the boot is a bit of a spatial relations aptitude test the first time.

Try the sidescreen cases from Ken Nachman if you really want a puzzle.

http://sidecurtain.com/

Mine fit same as described above. However keep an eye on/assess the proximity of the metral sidescreen legs to the rear panel inside face. Easily can touch the rear panel face and with travel/ loading movement/ vibration and damage the paintwork down to metal. I have inserted a small piece of tough clear (so paint colour still visible) plastic sheet to act as a barrier at the 'touch point(s).

I have the 3 Ken Nachman bags, although I now keep the side-screens on the car as Lynda finds the draught uncomfortable without them. It also covers up the 'bald patches' where the sidescreens have worn through the paint at front and rear.

Stan

I get my sidescreens in like the others with an old towel between the two. I pack items under the rear lip to prevent wires being broken by the support legs, like a spare set of bulbs in a plastic carrying case wrapped also in a piece of towel from the bar counter, a first aid kit in a custom soft bag,, tools in a tool wrap, and believe it or not a pair of Pak.A.Macs and a golfing umbrella which when raised (when stopped of course) it covers over the windscreen and the rear apron. It serves against the sun when eating our sannies and it could against rain if needed to raise quickly, if no time to get the hood up should a storm arrive.

On top of the sidescreens I have the hood first, then the tonneau cover and on top of the lot is our hold-all for clothing etc. I also have a bag holding all things for a good old cup of Rosy, being two china cups, a thermoflask our sandwiches, and some sugar in those wrappers you get from coffee shops. Then we have a small cold bag for cold drinks and the milk with those frozen hard containers taken out of the freezer to maintain the temp. Other small things can be packed around in the small spaces larger things leave available, e.g on top of the wheelarches.

There are other things like my driving gloves, scarf, the car´s papers, and a luminous warning jacket ( require by Spanish Law).

In the spare wheel compartment is the wheel, and tools for changing a flat tyre, two warning triangles ( again a legal requirement), a spare fan belt and a full set of water hoses.

Hope this helps you to plan your boot packing and what you can get in. We could also put things on the rear seat. This is how I will pack the car again for our 10 days trip to the Swiss Classic British Car Meeting in Morges, Switzerland in October

Dave

Hhmm...

I store mine the other way round with the legs / arms pointing towards the boot trim panel. Thought they would pose less of a threat to the wiring and rear of the boot this way (and a damaged card panel is easy to replace) but each to their own. I have a small version of those foam garage kneeler pads between the two screens to protect the windows but which may also be useful when scrabbling under the car at the roadside.

Yes, there is lots of space to store odds and sods in a 3A. I find that a collection of 99p, black sponge bags are useful for holding a range of spare items and can be tucked under the rear boot lip and alongside and in the spare wheel.

Hhmm...

I store mine the other way round with the legs / arms pointing towards the boot trim panel. Thought they would pose less of a threat to the wiring and rear of the boot this way (and a damaged card panel is easy to replace) but each to their own. I have a small version of those foam garage kneeler pads between the two screens to protect the windows but which may also be useful when scrabbling under the car at the roadside.

Yes, there is lots of space to store odds and sods in a 3A. I find that a collection of 99p, black sponge bags are useful for holding a range of spare items and can be tucked under the rear boot lip and alongside and in the spare wheel.

If you can store them the other way round then I suspect you do not have the supporting strut under the central boot lock, as that would be in the way of the top of the sidescreen.

Bob.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks guys. Dave, that is quite an elaborate setup with the china cups etc but where do you plug in the Teasmade ?

Stan

Stan

In the cigarette plug. We also carry an electric kettle of 0.7 litre capacity, which is enough for two cups.

Dave

Dave

...We also carry an electric kettle of 0.7 litre capacity..

I thought you might have put a tap on the heater hose line, Dave. The original owners manual instructs filling the system with fresh rainwater. Seems like that oughta make a good cup. :D

Edited by Don H.

If you can store them the other way round then I suspect you do not have the supporting strut under the central boot lock, as that would be in the way of the top of the sidescreen.

Bob.

Entirely possible! But who would remove it? Will check when I next see the car.

Miles

Miles,

I suspect that are cheap vinyl's bulkier that thee reyt posh mohrair, so thas go moor flexibility :ph34r:

I thought you might have put a tap on the heater hose line, Dave. The original owners manual instructs filling the system with fresh rainwater. Seems like that oughta make a good cup. :D

Don

Rainwater! what is that? when it did rain while on our 3 day get-away it rained mud from all the dust in the air.

Funny you should mention rainwater in the engine being clean with no chemicals in it, we were talking to John Dodd while away in Malaga, he is the guy with the Spitfire Merlin marine engine in a special car WITH a Rolls Royce radiator and cowl, and he says that you should NEVER put tap water in your engine because of the chemicals, but to use anti-freeze and distilled water, so at last I got something right, as I use 66.66% Super Coldmaster anti freeze with 33.33% distilled water, that is why after 3 to 4 years in my engine it still came out a greenish colour as opposed to the blue that went in, but no rust in it and a flush of the system , including opening the block tap did not reveal any rust particles.

BTW. The tea IS made from tap water from the hotels we stay at filling up the flask with boiling water, after using that, we use any local supply to brew up using the immersion heater from the cigarette plug, one cup at a time.

Here´s mud in your eye.

Dave