The new American dream

A Triumph in every garage...

The plan is to get the TR3 registered this week, get a license plate etc and then go for the state inspection sticker. Still a long list of things to finish but nothing that would stop it passing inspection.

DSC_0001_zpszm2zahbl.jpg

A Triumph in every garage...

The plan is to get the TR3 registered this week, get a license plate etc and then go for the state inspection sticker. Still a long list of things to finish but nothing that would stop it passing inspection.

DSC_0001_zpszm2zahbl.jpg

Perfect Stan. Hope all goes to plan.

Darren

Lookin' good, Stan! Big difference in the evolution of the TR over that ten year period, isn't there.

Do you have your fog/driving lights hooked up? I may need to talk to you for ideas... Mine are mounted but not yet connected. I have this really cool original S-T or BMC rallye team light switch/plate that I've yet to figure out exactly where I want to mount it and how I want to wire the lights.

Nice looking collection you got there. Looks like the 6 has been lowered a bit, thinking of doing that to mine since I have nothing to restore right now.

I wish I had my own garage too, the wife's car has to sit in the middle with the 6 and 3 on the sides with my truck in the drive.

Good luck with the inspection.

Lookin' good, Stan! Big difference in the evolution of the TR over that ten year period, isn't there.

Do you have your fog/driving lights hooked up? I may need to talk to you for ideas... Mine are mounted but not yet connected. I have this really cool original S-T or BMC rallye team light switch/plate that I've yet to figure out exactly where I want to mount it and how I want to wire the lights.

Yes Don, the fog and spot lamps are fully functional. Two relays on the RHS inner fender just under the apron so they are hidden but I can change one if I need to. There are two switches (F & S) on a panel that is attached under the dash using the same screws as the RHS heater brace bar. These lamps will only operate if the sidelights are also on.Probably not a legal configuration in all jurisdictions.

The TR6 and the TR3 are for sure very different to drive. The TR6 feels like a modern car by comparison - driving position, control positions, light steering even with the 13 inch steering wheel. The TR3 is from a different generation but that was part of the attraction for me which is why I didn't mess with it during the resto. It is a 1960 TR3A just like it was when it left the factory but with less rust. The only compromise that I made was to fit modern seats belts so that I would not always be driving it alone... I'm really looking forward to driving it and getting familiar with the quirks.

Nice looking collection you got there. Looks like the 6 has been lowered a bit, thinking of doing that to mine since I have nothing to restore right now.

I wish I had my own garage too, the wife's car has to sit in the middle with the 6 and 3 on the sides with my truck in the drive.

Good luck with the inspection.

Sadly the picture was posed. My wife's Honda lives in one side of the garage, the TR3 in the other. The TR6 lives in the trailer next to the garage and my truck (the most valuable vehicle that I own) lives in the driveway.

The TR6 has uprated but standard height springs but it does have 205 tires that may fill the wheel wells more than we see on the UK cars with the 185 tires.

Stan

Powder blue is absolutely the best colour. Are you aware that over on the Australian TR website there's a whole page dedicated to powder blue cars? They love to have a pic of your car on their website!

What's the plate gonna be? 'BLUETR3'?

Menno

Stan

Soon you will be able to do some real sports car driving! Enjoy it as we know you will but it will have to be a little slower drive than the TR6. :wub:

I bet the truck you own is a Dodge Ram maybe even the model with 6 wheels which I think is the 350 version!

Dave B)

Looking very nice Stan, lovely setting too. Hope it passes inspection OK.

Stuart.

Powder blue is absolutely the best colour. Are you aware that over on the Australian TR website there's a whole page dedicated to powder blue cars? They love to have a pic of your car on their website!

What's the plate gonna be? 'BLUETR3'?

Menno

BLUETR3 would not be a legal plate here in MA as we are restricted to 6 characters with further limitations on how the combination of letters and numbers can be arranged but watch this space, I'll have an update after the RMV visit...

I'll have to find an angle and distance that shows the least defects and submit a picture to the Powder Blue collection.

Dave, the truck is an F150, a half ton truck similar to the Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverado etc.

Stuart, you can be very proud, you have put a lot of hours in this car over the last five and a half years. The car is not perfect, not even close but I'm pleased with the outcome and since I was in over my head from the start there is no way I could have done this without your help.

Stan

Congratulations Stan..............I may be biased, but POWDER BLUE is the only colour!!

Our cars should be the same color Glynn. I had the paint mixed using a sample that Raymond sent me several years ago.

This is my battery box with the sample from Raymond as an example.

DSC_0003.jpg

Very nice Stan.. looks like TR6 drivers tend to go for a TR3A in addition to the 6... Mine are 60 TR3A and 70 TR6PI ...they go well together.. :)

73 TR6 and 56 TR3 for me ... not powder blue, but Cotswold blue :-)

They do go together well, but if push came to shove, I'd keep the TR3 over the TR6.

Cheers, Mike

Hi Stan,

I guess only one way to check out the match properly.................are you coming to France, or are we coming to the US?

Lovely idea and you never know!

Our cars should be the same color Glynn. I had the paint mixed using a sample that Raymond sent me several years ago.

This is my battery box with the sample from Raymond as an example.

DSC_0003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

TR3 is now legal to drive and its first drive was to the local inspection station to get a sticker. Car is not running well at all but now that it is registered and inspected I can drive it on the public roads and start sorting out the post-restoration gremlins.

IMAG0312%201_zpsazlmrndv.jpg

IMAG0313_zpsujom8nm5.jpg

The plate is an actual 1961 Mass plate from a flea market.

Stan! What a great looking detail. The plate fits the look and feel of the car perfectly. Did I understand it correctly that you actually can use this flee market buy on your car? Oh man, what a country what a state. Don't get me into telling how you should obtain a plate overhere in Holland... Bureaucracy, red tape etc. Even with a classic car friendly Department of Transport!

Spain is even worse according to stories from Dutch expats living there.

Menno