A Quick Update

My son has arranged the breakdown truck for Saturday and this morning there were two calls.

• The paint shop under pressure have called to say it is finished, and they are out for the afternoon at the Cricket.
  • Breakdown man can only make Monday morning as he has children problems.

This gives me an ideal opportunity to go there and carry out snagging.

I arrived after lunch and the paintwork was very good. However the car is still very dusty all over. I can cope with that but he has not fitted the front panel. This is definitely his job. I will fit the lights, badges, bumper etc. but the main reason for all this work was to make the front panel fit.

Fortunately there was a worker in the paint shop. I paid him the originally agreed sum and he promised to fit the panel on Saturday morning when the main man is in. There was another man there in overalls working on a Stag. It turns out that he is camping at the same site as me at Le Mans. Afterwards I wondered if he was the owner of the Stag. So it was lucky that it never turned nasty.

I did not have any trouble and Sean, breakdown man, will be there early Monday. This looks as if we may have an answer. :)

Richard & H.

Nice to hear some good news Richard.

I presume you are talking about the front apron. If he has painted it I am sure he was happy with the fit.

It sounds as if you actually have a really good garage there who have simply over committed themselves with work.

All his other customers have their own deadlines & any job on these cars throws up extra work & delays.

Let us all know on Monday that you have had a good outcome!

Best wishes

Steve

The breakdown driver called at 10.00 am and I was very relieved to hear that his only problem was that he could not find my house.

The front panel is fitted and the panel gaps are now even. The front wings have no dents and scratches, The gearbox tunnel fits with new captive nuts and the doors have even gaps. I have been away working all day today. Tomorrow I will start the clean up.

• Battery flat and disconnected
  • Workshop dust in every corner
  • Engine not started for nearly four months
  • No water in the radiator
  • Underlay , carpets, seats and rubber bungs need fitting. An ideal opportunity to hoover the interior.
  • Wheels are very dirty
  • Tailpipe flattened by loading on to 2 wheel towing axle when collected

But the paintwork is good and the front has never looked so new for the last 20 years. So thanks to the paint shop for a very good piece of work and I shall refrain from leaving any review at all on the web.

Tomorrow I need a fine day and no telephone calls .

Next week my local man, who is a son of the South Downs Group founder member, is fitting a new oil seal to the rear axle pinion. 4 x new tyres from Vintage tyres and we should be ready for some French miles to CLM.

My son has succeeded when I was in very low spirits.

Richard & H.

Edited by Richardtr3a

Richard

Glad you have the car back and work has been carried out to your satisfaction.

Can I point out that your list of complaints/jobs to do would seem to have absolutely nothing to do with your body shop guy.

Why should he start the car, top up the coolant or hoover the interior.

Flattening the tail pipes when your driver collected are also nothing to do with him.

Think I am starting to see where you fell out.

S

Glad you finally got the car back Richard and that it meets your expectations regarding the agreed work. BTW I saw your list as a list of things that needed doing, not a list of complaints of things that were left undone by the repair shop.

Stan

Richard

Glad you have the car back and work has been carried out to your satisfaction.

Can I point out that your list of complaints/jobs to do would seem to have absolutely nothing to do with your body shop guy.

Why should he start the car, top up the coolant or hoover the interior.

Flattening the tail pipes when your driver collected are also nothing to do with him.

Think I am starting to see where you fell out.

S

This is just a list of work for me to deal with. I enjoy mending the car and I am looking forward to the next few days. The tail pipe was flattened by the workshop when they collected. My own driver had a proper breakdown truck with a flat bed. The collection was a two wheel trailer behind a car. Anyway the tail pipe is irrelevant compared with the length of time it has taken.

At last it is done and back home.

Richard

Apologies Richard

I misread your post.

A good outcome & nearly there now then.

Steve

Hello,

A few weeks delay? Count yourself lucky.

Back in the ‘80s I had a friend who had a one-man body shop in Coventry. His quality was brilliant. I’d go as far to say he was one of the best sprayers in the UK.

But…

He did love to TALK.

In a 10 hour working day he probably spent 6 of those hours talking.

When I first met him I noticed a 1954 Cadillac in the corner of his workshop.

Every time I went to see him the Cadillac was still there, untouched.

“What’s that all about” I asked.

“A bloke brought that in for a total body rebuild, and said he was in no hurry. It’s getting a bit embarrassing,” He said.

“Why is it embarrassing?” I enquired.

“He brought it in ten years ago!” was the reply.

I used to visit his workshop regularly for the next 5 years and the car never changed.

Apparently the customer used to ring up 2 or 3 times a year asking how it was going. My friend always said “I’ll be starting it soon”

This was not unusual for my friend.

Someone brought in a genuine “Mini Sprint” for a full body rebuild.

After 3 years of “Never quite getting around to starting it” the customer took the Mini away, untouched.

I think the lesson is to never say “I’m in no hurry for it.”

(Although in the case of the Cadillac owner, who lived in Central London, he got 15 years of free parking. At London parking prices that would amount to a considerable sum!)

Charlie. D

• 3 weeks later...

The car is on the road. The squeaking is getting less with more use and some new splines and wheels.

Last snag is the nearside rear hydraulic valve and a repair kit is on the bench.

Next problem is that the internet has gone down and I have to go to The Roebuck for emails. This is not too serious because there is a live band tonight.

CLM next week.

Richard & H. :)

Charlie D

that guy must have a brother in KENT.

got my 3 back after nearly 9 years which i think was lucky as have been told that if you leave a vehicle with a garage for over a year with no bills paid they own it !!!!! or can sell it to cover storage etc.As there were no bills as never touched BUT

Is this true oh knowledgeable ones ??????????????????????????

Nine years is really a major failure. I feel very sorry for you. It was nine years when you could have been enjoying driving the car.

The last time that I was visiting my car in the workshop, there was a man there working on a Stag and we discussed going to Le Mans. I thought that he was working there as an employee.

So I was very surprised to meet him at the racetrack. It was his own car that he was working on. His Stag had been there 18 months and he was very upset. He worked on it himself in the garage and made it to the CLM meeting. He was friendly and we discussed what to do about the garage.These delays seem to be a business plan and not just my car.

My paint work has a run down by the bumper.

If any one wants a recommendation for a long delayed paint job please send me a p.m. and I will recommend the paint workshop in old town Eastbourne.

Le Mans was really good and the weather was hot. At least my tent is prepared for IWE early.

Cheers Richard & H.

Edited by Richardtr3a