Hi all

Just about to refit the cylinder head and cant decide wether to use sealant welseal or whatever on the head gasket

Never have in the past on other engine types but thought i would ask first

Thanks for your experiances

Tony

Wellseal is non setting, so it increases the gasket seal but is easily disassembled without leaving impossible to break "grunge" I always used it on my race engines and also road going units. No problems with it.

Mick Richards

non-technical / cosmetic advice (as the ladies forum never got set up)

this morning I compared the wellseal with the heldite that Revvy sent me - I am deciding which to use on mi exhaust / extractor gaskets.

the wellseal is a lighter brown and a lot runnier - in fact it leapt out of the tube - the heldite is a darker brown and slightly more gloopy - but has a rubbish brush

:ph34r:

non-technical / cosmetic advice (as the ladies forum never got set up)

this morning I compared the wellseal with the heldite that Revvy sent me - I am deciding which to use on mi exhaust / extractor gaskets.

the wellseal is a lighter brown and a lot runnier - in fact it leapt out of the tube - the heldite is a darker brown and slightly more gloopy - but has a rubbish brush

:ph34r:

copperslip.

If an exhaust gasket or joint needs any gloop (precise technical term here) I prefer Fire Gum for the manifold and Gun Gum downstream on the pipes, as it were . . . .

Cheers

Alec

It will dry out and crack

i am putting coppaslip on my studs, gloop on gaskets, paste on the tubes and mikalor clamps - unlike the previous THIS exhaust is NOT going to leak !

" It will dry out and crack "

Only if you put it on too thick . . . . .

Any surface that needs more than a smidgeon of sealant requires to be fettled to a fit whereby it only needs a smidgeon.

Whatever component and whatever sealant, the same principle applies - sealant is no substitute for good workshop practice.

Cheers

Alec

i am putting coppaslip on my studs, gloop on gaskets, paste on the tubes and mikalor clamps - unlike the previous THIS exhaust is NOT going to leak !

Your choice ;) jointing paste is what it says ie downsteam of the system and as for gun gum :lol::lol::lol:

interestingly, the smear of heldite that i spread on a oiece of card this morning was enamel hard after sitting in the sun all afternoon ?

as for gun gum :lol::lol::lol:

Oi dont knock it thats all thats holding the exhaust together on the Volvo! :wacko::lol: :lol:

Stuart.

VHT silicone RTV, brick-red coloured, is a big help on compressed graphite manifold gaskets, particularly if there's a tubular manifold.

It can be found in builders' merchants as "flue sealant", in skeleton gun cartridges, for a few bob.

Or buy it as "Extreme Ultra Motorsport Liquid BS" in a 50ml toothpaste tube & have your eyes taken out.