TR6 mark up

This really surprised me today.

See my old TR6 WLY444M in cars reunited, I am flabbergasted.

I sold it for £4250 and now it is for sale at £36,000, here is a picture when I last saw it.

Now compare that to the advert picture.

Crikey that must be a good job done.

post-13965-0-29921100-1459342171_thumb.jpg

Understandable if someone's spent a fortune on a restoration.

Wait until you get into the world of Cobra replicas, the dealers buy them for 22-23K then put them straight up on their website for mid 30'S

I had the chance to buy this one for 22K.....http://www.totalheadturners.com/detail/motors/classic-cars/ac/ram/174976

Dealer bought it and put a white stripe across it.......markup 11K......I'm in the wrong job!

Simon

Darren,

I bought it as a barn find non runner in May 2009 for £2000.

I sold it in December 2011 with MOT, went to a chap from London SW14.

He did say he was looking to restore one, not sure if he did the work or farmed it out.

Interestingly, it already had 14 former keepers when I got it.

RobG

Good question, what is required to go to the next stage.

In my little world, I bought a non runner and got it road legal and sold it for double my original cost6, but what if ....

If I did a full restoration, that car for sale now is totally different, what would I have spent ?

RobG

Edited by RobG

People can ask whatever crazy price they like but, I've never seen one 'worth' more than 12 grand max anywhere!

Too true, I saw a nice TR6 last year with triple webers for £10k but said no as I like PI.

But to jump to £35k. dream on ...

Edited by RobG

I'm not sure what any car is worth nowadays. Who would have thought a Capri would be worth £50k+ a couple of year's ago.

Dave

• 1 year later...

I now own this car .... I will introduce myself in another thread but can confirm it sold for £30,000 in around June and I bought it at the tail end of last year for significantly less.

I can confirm the restoration (which was performed by the guy who RobG sold to) is top notch and completed to a high standard

• 1 month later...

Hawk,

I have not been logging on lately so missed your posts re new owner of Willy.

Good to know gone to good home and at a more reasonable price.

I have several pictures of when I owned it, if you interested reply with an email address and I'll send them over.

Would take up a lot of room on here, here is one example of a before and after, attached, hopefully.

RobG

post-13965-0-52878100-1523267914_thumb.jpg

post-13965-0-25901900-1523268220_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobG

Many years ago there was a write up in Classic and Sports Car, one of 3 or 4 where the magazine staff reviewed cars for sale, featuring a TR6 which had been restored by a " racing mechanic ". Absolutely top notch job, the only thing they could criticize was the slightly bluish hue of the wheels. It was offered for 16k GBP at the time.

The seller claimed ( credibly ) he had 4000 hours in it.

Cheers,

Tom

Hawk,

I have not been logging on lately so missed your posts re new owner of Willy.

Good to know gone to good home and at a more reasonable price.

I have several pictures of when I owned it, if you interested reply with an email address and I'll send them over.

Would take up a lot of room on here, here is one example of a before and after, attached, hopefully.

RobG

PM on the way - thanks

Rod1883,

I would love to see them but I am no longer a TR Register member so computer says no.

Thanks

RobG

Edited by RobG

Rod,

Great pictures, many thanks.

What year would that be please ?

Brilliant to see it how it was before I found it derelict.

Have you seen the condition when I purchased it.

David ? from Wartling in Sussex I bought it from and I did it up enough to be road worthy.

Rob

Edited by RobG

Rob

I can't recall exactly when I sold the car - Wally the Wasp as we called it.

The picture you posted "as found" shows a tax disc expiring 05/04. I suspect that was about the time I sold it.

The chap that bought it was going t do all sorts of improvements......

The buyer that found the car a few years later (I imagine that was you) did telephone me to ask about the car and I was able to pass on the work I had done to it (including rear telescopics, bosch fuel pump). I recall when I sold Wally he looked better from afar than up close, and struggled to get £4000 for the car. I think we must have had the car for about 5 or 6 years and probably "lost" about £1200 over the time, but had good fun for the money.

Rod

Rod,

Crikey Rod, you are correct, just checked my records and found your details and sale receipt dated 15/5/04.

Won't detail here Mr P from P in Sussex but yes we did chat on the phone, you were very helpful from what I remember.

The chap was David Hurst from Wartling in Sussex and the story goes he bought it for his son to restore but it never happened.

Regards,

RobG

Edited by RobG
  • 1 month later...

Edit: Please note my TR4 it is not currently for sale.

Edited by RobG

Cheaper to pay what looks like a high price for an excellent car than buy a basket case and restore it.

My preference was to pay a reasonable price for a very nice original car, with new paint that looked very nice, but that I could drive every day. I would be too nervous driving an excellent car in traffic or giving it a nudge on open roads.

Spend more, get a car thats good in the body/chassis EVERY TIME!

BTW, theres a TR6 on eBay currently for 44K........

Following this threads advice. ..........

I will wait for a good one to come up ????!!!!