What's missing here?

I noticed a couple of holes at the bottom of the gearbox whilst installing the slave cylinder today.

I get the rear one is for the drain plug but what is the front one for.

Or, what should be filling the hole if anything?

Many thanks

Paul.

post-11421-0-21684900-1452038951_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, it's always wise to keep a TR4A gearbox in ones living-room for reference purpose <_< The big one is for the drain plug indeed, the other one is open... probably to drain the oil leaking from the crankshaft oil seal so I reckon it should be left that way. I'm not so sure but I seem to remember that there was dust plate somewhere there on early 4, or I'm dreaming

post-11469-0-63819100-1452064369_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geko

Thanks Stef.

There was no reference in any of the manuals as to what goes in the forward hole??

Best.

Paul.

post-11421-0-56105200-1452078025_thumb.pngThanks Bob.

I'll leave the hole alone:-)

Double spring is as the recommendation in the book "How to Improve Triumph TR2-4A".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedpro-illustrated-Williams-published-Publishing/dp/B00EKYKAES/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452077614&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=improvee+tr4a

They suggest 2 carb springs to make the clutch run quieter, ensure the longevity of the clutch fingers and thrust bearing.

I have no idea if this works but giving it a go.

My springs are throttle return springs, maybe too strong but we'll see.

If they are we'll use carb ones.

Best

Paul.

Edited by TR4A1965

Hmmm - I thought the correct release bearing was designed to run in contact with the fingers and spin continually.

The fingers shouldn't wear if the bearing is spinning.

With the wrong bearing and not in contact the bearing will have to get up to speed when activated and cause wear to the fingers - I think.

Roger

" Double spring is as the recommendation in the book "How to Improve Triumph TR2-4A ".

Tuning books and internet websites alike should always be treated with caution, especially when written by someone quoting other folks' suggestions.

There are plenty of authors out there whose writings are based on received knowledge rather than personal hands-on experience.

One virtue of forums, or at least the better ones, they do tend to have a sprinkling of contributors who can quote personal hands-on chapter and verse.

Cheers

Alec

I can't see the point of two springs. The proper one is sufficient to retract the clutch release mechanism and that should be enough. Any more tension would only serve to increase clutch pedal effort although probably not by much. Just my opinion as is my choice to leave my 4A clutch self adjusting as it was designed to be.

Edited by peejay4A

Hmmm - I thought the correct release bearing was designed to run in contact with the fingers and spin continually.

The fingers shouldn't wear if the bearing is spinning.

With the wrong bearing and not in contact the bearing will have to get up to speed when activated and cause wear to the fingers - I think.

Roger

Think again Roger

Interesting point. I am running a diaphragm clutch (GT6) in myTR3 connecting to a saloon gearbox. I am using a return spring on the slave cylinder (just one) to avoid wearing out the release bearing. Had not thought about wear on the fingers as the bearing comes into contact. Not sure which is worse ?

Bob.

I am just a Guinea-Pig :-) No Lemming jokes please:-)

Best

Paul.

The front hole often has a large circlip hanging from it which I believe is meant to shake about as you drive and prevent the hole becoming blocked. The holes main purpose is to drain off any oil finding its way through the rear crank oil seal, without it the level could build up and get dragged onto the clutch.

Interesting. I've never seen one?

Best

Paul.

Great thanks

Must have been a Midlands corruption, the old chap I got it from back in the 70s definitely giggled.

I expect he did.......................

Stuart.