Seeing in the Dark!

I am looking to improve my winter night time miles and am thinking of fitting some driving spot lamps. I quite often drive down to the coast from London to catch up with various friends and drive back on country roads late evening ... So need to keep a sharp eye out for deer and possible debris when windy!

I am thinking of the Revington spot bar that apparently doesn't require removing the bumper and then rather stumped as to which spots ... I have some Osram Nightbreaker bulbs for the converted headlamps (Cibie) ... But would like to add some further back up.

I have noted comments that beyond 6.5 inches depth-wise then fouling the bonnet is to be expected ... Is this a good rule of thumb? The PIAA are meant to fit and be top of the league but are way beyond my budget. Any thoughts on what might work for a pair around £90 or so. Cibie and KC appear too large (and costly) which leaves the Hella ... If so what might work the best or anything else that I may have missed? I also note that there is advice on wiring carefully via relay to ease the load on the main system.

So very grateful for any thoughts advice on this.

Very many thanks,

Bob(ster)

I am using my 4 throughout the winter and upgrading the headlamps was high up on my to-do list..... much to my surprise, i have found the existing halogens to be tremendous.

I had planned on fitting some driving/spot lamps but got a little confused over all of the different options and what would or would not fit and allow the bonnet to open happily while retaining the bumper. If i elect to change in the future i'd probably go for a HID conversion - no bonnet problems, lower amp-draw & better lighting.

...... Andy

I used the Tr Enterprises front bar. it is aluminium and can be sprayed to match your body. Added two second hand lucas lights, one fog/ one spot and the result is excellent when combined with a pair of upgareded headlamp bulbs.

Dont forget the obvious, relays plus new wiring for the spots/fogs.

Snowy

out of courtesy to other road users ....On our traffic filled roads I seldom get to use the main headlamp beams and with their wired in additional spot lamps... . A correctly aimed pair of dipped Cibie headlamps with Night breaker bulbs (filaments to you Roger) fed by heavy cabling through relays should help no end.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Peter

Good man,now can you or others spot what is correct and why?

Hi Neil,

Factory option anti-roll bar?? ;)

Cheers

Graeme

Spot on Graeme ;) and note the correct pig tail towing eyes.

Thread Hijack...

Aagh, but are they towing eyes or tie down eyes - The parts list shews them first when the chassis for USA gained the large tie down brackets on the rear chassis legs - you know the ones, you whack your head on them when the car is up on the ramps.

I got sick of the price to renew the real Triumph ARB (on the TR3) clamps when they had been grounded/flattened so went over to MG items - at a fraction of the price, and with a greater range of bar diameter rubber/poly bushes. - again not orig of course.

<< https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mgexp.com/phile/1/276157/Evo_Sway_Bar_Bob_Fisher_MGB_GT_V8.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2836052&h=400&w=600&tbnid=wiK_kzqK4fOnyM:&docid=rl5l6ZHKpnj9BM&ei=pgdnVsfzE4Koe66VkPAC&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjH3ubj2czJAhUC1B4KHa4KBC44ZBAzCCcoJDAk>>

Discuss

Peter W

I run 55/100W halogens in my TR250 with its original wiring loom. Repro looms seem to use a lighter gauge wire so can't recommend it for them. With the beam angle set right they leave little to be desired; comparable to a modern light ( thanks to the high wattage I suppose ).

I've got a beautiful set of LUCAS driving lights - safely in my basement. They came with the car and were never wired in anyway, so just looked pretty. When I lost a lens to a road flung stone and was lucky enough to locate another one, off they came, for posterity ( or an irresistible offer ).

Cheers,

Tompost-1059-0-92861000-1449593416_thumb.jpg

You need one of these:

subaru22b.jpg

May not be one to fit a 6 so instead, one of these:

61piQH2y5xL._SL1001_.jpg

LED light bar, lots available, this one only 180 watts, 14400 Lumen. That's equivalent to at least 1000W from an incandescent bulb, and MUCH more powerful are available.

John

There was a Dove around some years back that had 4 5 3/4" headlamps like the Stag. The eyebrows on the bonnet had been flattened as I recall - I think the current owner has corrected that piece of 1970's styling now.

Peter W

;) You can see with these

Many thanks to all for comments/discussions and have picked up some good tips ... Last point for me ... Will a 6 inch spotlamp just under 3inches deep fit aok without the bonnet fouling ... I do want to retain the bumper insitu. Very many thanks.

B.

The four-eyed Dove is surely Wayne's Dad's machine, is it not ?

I liked the twin headlamp look, that was a smart car even in that unmentionable shade of brown, pity it's lost the unique front.

Cheers

Alec

But which Micho car came first? Was the chocolate cruiser inspired by the Stag fastback?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/si558/4764631548/in/photostream/

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 2 weeks later...