Twin hoop roll bar for triumph tr6

That's what I'm on about. With standard seat backs - no head rests- the back of the head could hit the roll hoop in a rear end impact. And with no protection from a helmet .... could be nasty.

Peter

Did it look like this:

P1050644.jpg

In which case you should read what the designer had to say:

"My name is François Faucher and I have a very small custom part design and fabricating business in Quebec. Recently, I have made several roll bars for the Triumph TR6 and the responce was very good. I was asked to design a similar one for the MGB. I have done so and am currently waiting for quotes from local tube bending shops. In the meantime, I would like to have a feel for the interest in such a part. The roll bar would be made of 2'' OD steel machanical tubing, would be fully welded and black powder coated. You can visit my web site at www.hotantiqueauto.com to see what the TR6 model looks like and also see what kind of pricing we would be talking about. You should be aware that my roll bars are to enhance the appearance of your car only and should not be used as a protective device." http://board.amgba.com/index.php?topic=356.0

My emphasis.

Why are people so obsessed with this double hoop roll bar idea? As a road safety measure , it ranks with the sharpened spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

You either want a roll over bar (Roll Over Protection System - ROPS) to keep you safe, or you intend to drive in a manner than will not expose you to risk.

The second is a laudable aim, but one that places unreasonable trust on other road users.

I should mention that M.Faucher's business no longer exists - I hope for everyone concerned he was not sued by grieving relatives.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

I was told they may give the feel good factor but are no use at all as a safety device.

I was offered an unused FIA style full race cage,but it had door and dash bars,so would restrict access and spoil the car.

I have standard headrests, so will stay with that.

Remember that if safety is important for you and yet you don't want to change the look of the car a cheap safety upgrade is to fit an alloy rear of cockpit firewall screen behind the fibreboard cover at the back of the cockpit.

In the event of a roll over or side impact which lozenges the TR cockpit or rear frame it helps keep the fuel out from the fuel tank which can easily rupture from the stress. The RAC Motorsport association thinks it's important enough to specify that cars without them are not allowed to compete in motorsport, but I'm buqqered if going to be less safe going out to the chip shop !

Costs about £60ish (most of the TR suppliers with competition history supply them) already cut out (approximately) to shape and only requires an hour or so final finishing being riveted in place around the frame immediately in front of the fuel tank. Put a layer of intumescent sealer or other choice in between the panel and the frame and rivet about every 25-40mm, there are normally a couple of smaller panels supplied which fill in over the wheel arches also.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

After I rolled over a convertible I fitted roll-over bars to both my TRs. In my case a fiber glass hardtop saved my life as it stayed on the car and prevented the body to end up FLAT ON the ground, In other words it allowed me to escape from under the car... :)

I do in no way speak about roll-over bars for competition cars, just road cars that might experience a rather SOFT roll-over in a road accident.

In addition the seats in my cars are equipped with headrests and belts.

In my case the main purpose is to maintain some clearance between the body and the ground in case you end upside down.. ;)

Thank, jean!

So often the well-meant advice that others, and I, give, based on the massive safety experience of the MSA on what can keep you alive in roll-over, is poo-pooed as unnecessary racing hype.

I'm glad for you that a GRP hard top saved you, but you were lucky!

All the Triumph range, maybe not including the later, post-US Federal regulation cars, were designed without any consideration being made for landing upside down, with flat topsides and wind screens with minimal strength. I refused to let my son ride his Spitfire until we fitted a roll bar, and he was still voted to have the Coolest Car in the school Car Park!

But each to their own!

John

Edited by john.r.davies

'unnecessary racing hype' ? A race circuit doesn't have wet leaves and a kerb, and thats all it takes, in bend, to tip a car over at quite low speed. Nor are circuits bordered by ditches and damp grass ready to trap the inverted car. The roads may be slower than the circuits but there are more roll-over hazards every mile. Nor do circuits have on-coming drunken/drugged drivers ....we swerve to avoid him, and...

I fitted the 6 with an Aleybar in 1980, and the firewall rather later.

The best insurance premium I could pay.

Peter

Our FHC 7 doesn't have a roll cage, but I gather the USA test involved dropping it inverted, 4 feet onto concrete and checking the roof had not compressed more than 4 inches.

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Aleybar and alloy firewall fitted to mine too, not by me but a PO.

Not convinced the alloy firewall is sealed, so that might be a winter job.

I do think that the Aleybar spoils the lines of the car a little, but rather that than my lines being spoiled by the headless look !

Steve

Peter,

You know that and I know that, but I've been disappointed by the people who can't see that.

And your FHC TR7. By then production techniques had improved in the face of Federal regs, and you can work out the kinetics of falling four feet better than I can, but I suspect that the energy involved is small compared to a roll over at speed.

John