In TRA 283 is a letter from Andy Child of Rees Bros regarding the dangers of not having a pre 1960 car MOT tested.

He suggests, and I must say I agree with him, that it would be foolish not to have an annual inspection.although it is no longer a requirement.

BUT

As the MOT certificate is now a computer generated document presumably linked to the VOSA computer is it actually possible to get an MOT certificate on a pre 1960 car.

Has anyone had any experience?

Dave

Yes Dave it is.

My MoT tester was here today recommissioning the Super Snipe, now running and taxed after a good day's work. It doesn't require a MoT test being 1958 vintage, but next week it will get one anyway - as Jeff and I agree, any classic driver who doesn't bother with an MoT is a bloody idiot, to put it politely. And a danger to others with it.

Apart from which, the annual Mot and service ensures that my insurers won't kick up undue fuss in the (unlikely) event of a claim . . . .

Cheers

Alec

My 1959 3A has always been MOT tested, the tester just ignores those items e.g. emissions applicable to moderns.

Apart from giving peace of mind the most conciencious owner can still overlook things, MOT testers are doing the job everyday and are unlikely to miss salient problems.

Some insurance companies actually ask " when was the car last MOT'd" which as Alec points out could be an insurance companies excuse if they find something amiss.with a car in an accident without a certificate. With an MOT any owner arguements are going to be much stronger.

In my opinion a yearly safety test should be obligatory for every car despite its age, as the MOT test is getting more automated there is surely a need for a simpler safety test for older cars. One would have that that the FBHVC would have come up with something?

Alec & Paul

I totally agree. My car requires an MOT and in fact I changed the garage that I used because I felt the inspector was not thorough enough.

I just wondered whether the VOSA system allowed a certificate to be issued to a vehicle that didn't need one.

Dave

I'm intrigued. I don't think Dave has yet had a definitive answer to his question. Can he get a physical certificate like the printout we post 1960 owners get?

Standard MOT certificate is issued regardless.Just take the car in same as usual.

Stuart.

An Mot pass tells you your car is good for that day and for a period after, it is no substitute for owner vigilance and careful maintenance just as before, pre 60 cars have been excused an MOT but not excused from being in a road worthy condition, I am happy to run my TR2 and Traction Avant ( I am not using the Citroen at the moment cause she needs a new master cylinder) without one as the law allows for this, but at the same time always keeping on top of things, if you rely on the annual Mot to bring wear and tear to your notice you should not be driving a Classic car, stick to your Jappo/Euro box.

An Mot does not prove its a well maintained car, infact it may well be just the opposite!!

I had this very conversation last year when I was enquiring if the local MOT station I've used for about 15 years could do an MOT on my TR4 or if I needed to take it somewhere special. They told me they just miss out aspects of the test as they are not relevant or required. And he too mentioned that if it were a pre 1960 car, it did not need one at all.

I'm of the opinion that you have nothing to lose by getting it done (other than a few pounds, well quite a few really) and everything to gain. Also you have the peace of mind knowing that (admittedly for the brief moment the tester saw that vehicle) it was roadworthy. If and when they roll this on to cars older than 1964, I'll still be taking mine along. My money, my choice, my peace of mind and one less reason for the anybody to screw me over :-).

Mark

Standard MOT certificate is issued regardless.Just take the car in same as usual.

Stuart.

Except in the event of a failure, the posibility of which has so far been omitted by this thread.

If your pre'60 were to fail, would that failure then be recorded on the computer system does anyone know?

Bob

I'm going to say yes, if you presented a vehicle for mot then it is treated the same as all unless the mot tester can just throw the paperwork in the bin or not key anything in to the system. Is there anybody who uses the modern computer based system. Do you have to make an entry in to the system before you start? But then if the vehicle is maintained as well as you would expect it should never fail ?

Mark

Depends a little on what the failure was Roger. Mine was failed once because the windscreen washer was "adjusted too high", and once because "the handbrake was seized". Needless to say the spotty oik responsible for the latter was unfamiliar with fly-off handbrakes.

I'm going to say yes, if you presented a vehicle for mot then it is treated the same as all unless the mot tester can just throw the paperwork in the bin or not key anything in to the system. Is there anybody who uses the modern computer based system. Do you have to make an entry in to the system before you start? But then if the vehicle is maintained as well as you would expect it should never fail ?

Mark

I was under the impression that all MOT stations are now required to use the computer based system. And yes the tester has to book onto the system before starting the test.

So if your car fails then it is recorded centrally.

My local MOT garage told me that DVSA (formerly VOSA) can now monitor a test as it is being carried out, and do so frequently to check on MOT stations.

He had an incident a short time ago while they were testing an old banger, which they failed on brakes. The DVSA were monitoring the situation from the next street on a Laptop and insisted on retesting the car and said it should have passed as the brakes measured OK on the rollers. The tester then pointed out to DVSA rusted brake pipes in a dangerous condition, DVSA then cleared off!

Edited by Paul Down

I was under the impression that all MOT stations are now required to use the computer based system. And yes the tester has to book onto the system before starting the test.

So if your car fails then it is recorded centrally.

My local MOT garage told me that DVSA (formerly VOSA) can now monitor a test as it is being carried out, and do so frequently to check on MOT stations.

He had an incident a short time ago while they were testing an old banger, which they failed on brakes. The DVSA were monitoring the situation from the next street on a Laptop and insisted on retesting the car and said it should have passed as the brakes measured OK on the rollers. The tester then pointed out to DVSA rusted brake pipes in a dangerous condition, DVSA then cleared off!

Hi Paul, yes thats what I suspected, I'm surprised they have the time to check up in realtime as they all claim to be understaffed, but they would certainly have the ability to do so and I'm sure they do on a random basis, big brother at work!

Mark

Big brother at work? But surely it is right that Test Stations should be checked occasionally by DVSA and any fly-by-night ones removed from the register?

Ian Cornish

Except in the event of a failure, the posibility of which has so far been omitted by this thread.

If your pre'60 were to fail, would that failure then be recorded on the computer system does anyone know?

Bob

Of course it would and you would then fix it and have it re-tested WOULDNT YOU!

Stuart.

Im sorry but I fail to see why there is all this to-ing and fro-ing about it just get the car tested and if it fails fix it and get it re-tested end of! Same as we have all been doing for the last umpteen years since the test came out.

Stuart.