Essential spares for a European trip?

Yes think of all the cars that have done the lemans and spa classics.

Thank to everyone for their much valued input on this topic. I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions, words of caution etc etc...

Lots of things been posted that I really wouldn't given too much consideration to, ie the cautionary tale about breakdown cover!

Thank to everyone for their much valued input on this topic. I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions, words of caution etc etc...

Lots of things been posted that I really wouldn't given too much consideration to, ie the cautionary tale about breakdown cover!

A timely post, thank you. Very useful information. (Sorry I don't know your name)

One could always duplicate the mechanical spares Triumph thought important back in the day... Kind of a quaint list, from today's perspective. But having these would let somebody get the car back on the road from many mechanical faults.

i-cXWgbmL-X3.jpg

i-dmKVc3X-XL.jpg

Edited by Don H.

One has to be aware that your insurance cover for breakdown is a contract, and this will bind you to the terms of this contract.

They will always refer you to an approved repair centre to fix your problem and get you on your way.This may be all well and good if you have a conventional problem such as points condenser, fuel supply to carbs type problem.................but if you have a typical TR6/5 PI problem forget it.

I had a issue around 70 miles from my French home in my TR6 and pleaded with RAC that they take my car to my home where I would take responsibility and fix the issue, releasing their liability. They would not have that scenario. insisted the car was either abandoned or they take it back to UK or a local repair centre.

And dont forget that if you have a problem that is resolved and then two days later suffer a similar problem, which on PI is always a likely hood with poor technical support, you walk home, its a one trip one claim policy always.

Enjoy euro motoring folks, I have done it for years and live in france near Angouleme but always embark on an adventure with eyes wide open. in rural France and Spain there is no assistance. unless a TR register member can assist.

That OE spares kit reminds me - Spain and France among others demand that you carry a complete set of bulbs, including (mainly) headlamp bulbs.

Not a problem to replace - unless you have High Intensity Discharge headlamps, which your modern might, but I don't think there is a conversion kit for TRs.

JOhn

This is a very timely topic! We are currently booked to travel from Portsmouth to Caen and then spend 2 weeks hopping down the west coast of France via Le Mans, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, St Jean de Luz and San Sebastián before getting the Bilbao service back to Portsmouth in time to head up to Malvern... Tried to keep the mileage low per day and stick to the n roads so as not to stress things too much...(what I know about fixing cars you could write on a stamp)... But having had a series of annoying break downs recently... Including sat which required the car to be recovered to the garage, I am just not sure whether this is a good plan.. The boss would very much prefer it if we took the new car!

This is a very timely topic! We are currently booked to travel from Portsmouth to Caen and then spend 2 weeks hopping down the west coast of France via Le Mans, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, St Jean de Luz and San Sebastián before getting the Bilbao service back to Portsmouth in time to head up to Malvern... Tried to keep the mileage low per day and stick to the n roads so as not to stress things too much...(what I know about fixing cars you could write on a stamp)... But having had a series of annoying break downs recently... Including sat which required the car to be recovered to the garage, I am just not sure whether this is a good plan.. The boss would very much prefer it if we took the new car!

What and miss out on all the fun................standing by the side of the road for 3 hours in the rain !!!

In general if a TR is reasonably maintained it will not brake down. We have been touring France on several occasions every time around 3500 kms , with 10 to 12 TRs and no one had a serious brake down :huh:

I have been to the IWE since 1996 TR6 or TR3 never had a problem... even driving through more than 15 inches of water.. :rolleyes:

I have been driving down to Spain withTriumphs for years. Basically no problems. A few simple bits are good for calming the nerves. Points, condensor, bulbs etc

You will never need them because Murphy is always active. I also have a touring kit from the 70s. I wonder why Triumph thought you could change your exhaust valves in the middle of the Sierra Nevada At 6,000 ft height. In my kit are exhaust valves!!

What you legeally must have is a second pair of driving glasses. Logic if you break them, then you cannot drive safely any further.

• 4 weeks later...

Ha! Ha! Yes Mr Murphy (I think he wasn't from the continent) his allways looking over you, even with a trunk full useful bits! :-) havung a classic is all about these challenges :-) agree with Kob

Enjoy, keep the boss happy with some extra credit card extension, it pays:-) and go...

Hello All

Got back about 10days ago from a trip to Spain

2600 miles covered but did have a couple of problems! used 250cc of oil and had to tighten a hose clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your car is well sorted it is no problem.

Just use them and enjoy them(its what they were built for no polishing?)

Plus you will love all the nice comments you get.

And the roads are SO empty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger