Ummmmm, that should give a power boost and some very smooth running albeit that the rest of the car will need some serious uprating, suspension and brakes. Guess this is one of our American colleagues where a V12 isnt such a big deal as here. Having had a couple I must it great to have that may cylinders working for you, smooth , effortless powere delivery, nice...not for my current TR tho.

Main advantage of the Rover is its weight, much less than the TR6 engine

and its small size due to the non-ohc.

All fits perfectly under the bonnet and the inner wings can be left untouched.

Power is more than required and smooth running more than expected.

The V8 goes with the 5 litre beyond 350 BHP what makes the TR6

like riding a cannonball.....

At a bit over 2000 rpm it has the max power of a CP TR6

and just than the fun with the V8 begins....

No need to fit a bigger and heavier engine and create nasty understeer!

I would think fitting the V12 lump into the engine bay (as picture) would not be a major problem, fitting all the ancillaries ....... may take a little longer.

Too much for the insurance???

As I have said on here a few times before..a BMW 6 cylinder 3.0 litre (as fitted to the Z4 and 530 etc) would be my choice of "non-original" engine to fit.

Why?

It keeps the "sound" a TR6 should have.

BMW 6 speed box to mate to it is a lovely thing

The engine produces 230bhp (fast enough in a heavy 5 series - a TR6 would fly with this lump)

It is a lovely engine - with very few mechanical whoa's

They are a nice light weight unit.....and they fit!

If you fitted a BMW lump in a TR6 would it ever break down - probably not. So where is the pleasure in that. :P

Taking a 6 out not knowing if it will ever return is the excitement of it all. :o

Covering the cars behind in a thick layer if unburnt fuel is also a plus B)

Roger

My pi seems to have plenty from the right hand pedal, it's just the centre pedal seems a little ineffective. Trying to rein in a V12 would be err...an interesting; but not a long lived problem. Once someone has sorted out an aftermarket ABS put me down for a set.

Alan

My pi seems to have plenty from the right hand pedal, it's just the centre pedal seems a little ineffective. Trying to rein in a V12 would be err...an interesting; but not a long lived problem. Once someone has sorted out an aftermarket ABS put me down for a set.

Alan

Alan.

ABS?? Why - are the front brakes locking up on you? Might be tired front shockabsorbers and springs allowing to much weigh transfer to the front.

Peter

Pretty sure peter means supercharging......

Simon,

How did you guess? :)

Stooble:

DIY fitting a Moss kit to a 6:

https://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/john-jervis-fitting-a-moss-supercharger-kit/

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

As I have said on here a few times before..a BMW 6 cylinder 3.0 litre (as fitted to the Z4 and 530 etc) would be my choice of "non-original" engine to fit.

Why?

It keeps the "sound" a TR6 should have.

BMW 6 speed box to mate to it is a lovely thing

The engine produces 230bhp (fast enough in a heavy 5 series - a TR6 would fly with this lump)

It is a lovely engine - with very few mechanical whoa's

They are a nice light weight unit.....and they fit!

I looked very seriously into this swap, main issue is getting the newer BMW units actually working. They use the OBD II engine management systems which are highly integrated in with the rest of the electronics package... It turned into a nightmare to sort and there are not many aftermarket ECU's which will competently work the dual VANOS system. If looking at a BMW engine, go for an early one which works on the OBD I system (which is what the chap in the US did). Although there will be someone along shortly who has successfully done this with a 'newer' BMW power unit...

With no doubt the BMW 6-cylinders are among the best in the world.

Anyway, to avoid the TR6 engine problems and swap to a BMW R6 for me is

like building a bottle-ship without the bottle:

It can be better in many details but thats not the aim!

(and the difference between my 180HP straight six to the BMWs 230HP is noticeable

but nothing against the difference between the 180HP and the 350HP of the V8

especially because the torque pulls the car from idle like a train in any gear)

If you look at some smaller car companies in GB like Morgan, MG, TVR, Ginetta and Marcos

much of their famous rumours come from their V8s what in most cases was the Rover!

It can be reduced to a simple sentence, Wildcats Ian Richardson told me:

"Once V8, always V8"

The car becomes different and accelerates in an easy way that best must be driven to understand.

That in my opinon is the reason that Morgan could sell their products over that long period and after

trying to swap to the 6-cylinders they had to accept that the market prefers the V8s.

Also German Wiesmann had some R6 and V10 in the programm but they also had to

accept that the people prefer the V8 although the V10 is better in many cases.

Here it was not the performance, The "M" engines perform excellent and the V10 has 507HP!

It is simply the feeling you have driving a powerfull V8.

• 3 years later...