Don't know about suitable or compact, that depends upon what the individual viewpoint is.

However if you use the search facility by first selecting FORUM and then searching there I found a thread headed "Perfect in-car toolkit" which harks back to Sept 2013 where there are numerous pages of posters ideas which give not only toolkit ideas but other nefarious individual items which are found useful whilst touring.

The worlds your banana, choose from the "wisdom of crowds".

Mick Richards

One thing is certain:

The older you are and longer you have owned a TR, more 'essential' tools and bits and pieces will find their way into your boot but are less likely to be used except in the simplest of breakdowns!

Start with the basic original toolkit in a roll and add what tools and spares you are prepared to use when broken down miles from anywhere in torrential rain or snow, but a mobile phone and breakdown cover are probably the best tools for anything serious!

I bought about 8 soft fabric pencil bags (like school children used to use before they all got I-Pads). Each cost me about a dollar. I put all my spare electric bits and pliers with small screwdrivers into the red bag. (Red is for danger). All my sockets are in a dark blue one. My open-end spanners are all in a green one. My SU spares are in a light blue one. They all fit into wherever I find space in the boot.

If you have a TR4 or 4A then carry a masonry nail. A forum search will lead you to the reason.

Or an allen key, except there's nowhere you'd require one on a TR. Just as well someone else had one B)

Now I just leave the rollpin sticking out an inch, to act as the replacement.

If you want a tool for every possible contingency, then you will need a trailer. I carry a fairly basic kit in a tool bag, not a box, as t will blend into a space left after your shoes and that bottle of red.

As for spares, you can carry some small odds and sods in you spare wheel as I am sure most do but there is a good organizer if you can find one. It is an old Tupperware container that fits neatly in the wheel. I carry a spare set of plugs, wheel bearings, bulbs, fuse, nuts bolts washers , wire tape, etc.

post-13193-0-22898000-1421638346_thumb.jpg

post-13193-0-67424300-1421638349_thumb.jpg

I bought about 8 soft fabric pencil bags (like school children used to use before they all got I-Pads). Each cost me about a dollar. I put all my spare electric bits and pliers with small screwdrivers into the red bag. (Red is for danger). All my sockets are in a dark blue one. My open-end spanners are all in a green one. My SU spares are in a light blue one. They all fit into wherever I find space in the boot.

Don,

where do you put the mobile phone?

Edited by littlejim

Hi Trumpy3

Wheel Bearings would be a big job,. certainly not what you would do at the side of the road.

In my 3A in the spare wheel, (upside down) of course, I carry a set of water hoses and the jack,brace and mallet. By the side of the wheel are my 2 x triangles, a spare fan belt and if I am on a 1000 mile trip like to France, then I have a spare inner tube.

In the boot in a roll up tool kit I have all the usual necessary tools, plus spare bulb set, plugs and fuses, insulating tape a sanding block. and a few bullet connectors just in case. My safety lackets are in the door pockets

I believe that on my next trip to frog land,, if they do make that a hard and fast rule. I might have to take a breathaliser test kit

Dave

If you have tubed tyres, then it is advisable to carry at least one (preferably two) as it is virtually impossible to buy replacements in an emergency. It's not always possible or practical to repair a tube at the side of the road. And don't carry el cheapo tubes - IMHO only Michelin are any use (and, no, I'm not on commission).

I also prefer to carry the triangle and two hi-vis bibs inside the car - if you get rear-ended you may not be able to access the boot or spare wheel compartment in a hurry, if at all.

Wheel bearings are not that big a job but getting them can be, the same with inner tubes. I do not run inner now but did need one on an earlier trip and one of our other members carried one in his spare wheel compartment.

We are lucky(?) here in that we do not need to carry triangles, vest, etc by law.

Yes Don, the mobile is the best piece of emergency kit you can carry.

Brian

If you are rear ended, then the other guy should have access to his.

Peter

I only carry the spare tube on long runs to France etc. otherwise it is wrapped up in french chalk (no pun intended) in a box in a warm drawer in the garage.

I agree! the best item to carry these days is a mobile phone, which to me is a pain in the ar*e at any other time.

Dave