Hi Folks,

having a bit of a bash with my 3a Front End, and am looking to replace/repair my front apron,

although really the real problem is the valance below the grill.

Long shot know but has anyone got a knackered front apron with a recoverable front valance or a reasonably priced full metal apron?

John.

John,

You have a PM.

Mick Richards

Beware of new ones. My new apron, paid for by the other driver's insurance, does not fit. It is 1/4 " too narrow and the grille opening is an inch wrong on both sides. I still have the old original one and will repair it next time I have a bodywork overhaul. The maker was in Devon.

Good luck

Richard

After I bashed in the front end of my 1958 TR3A, I bought a used front apron in fairly good shape but it was rusted through below the grille opening. So I took both aprons to a local sheet-metal chap who made me what I needed. Some of the work he did using one of his rolling wheels.

Edited by Don Elliott

After I bashed in the front end of my 1958 TR3A, I bought a used front apron in fairly good shape but it was rusted through below the grille opening. So I took both aprons to a local sheet-metal chap who made me what I needed. Some of the work he did using one of his rolling wheels.

Quality work Don.

but these people are rare as hens teeth over here unless you have long deep pockets.

Hi John,

thanks for this, but I really need something akin to what Don had made.

My bottom valance has a mixture of the dreaded rust, gentle accident damage and some very poor welding, done by me

a very long time ago, - I am much more proficient now!

I am only considering getting this area repaired as the rest of the apron fit is nigh perfect, and finding a better apron might just

move my problem.

John.

Edited by john

Hi John,

That's what I mean't, just remaking the bits as per Don's photo. I realise I don't need a photo of your apron, as I've actually got a spare one with a similar problem. So If he's interested I could repair my spare one as well.

I'll be seeing him today, so will ask him.

John

Hi,

I am about to restore a shroud for my TR2 to replace the fibreglass one the car came with, the steel one I have aquired has some damage to the NS headlamp pod,

has anyone a spare NS headlamp pod, in reasonable condition, on a knackered shroud that they are willing to part with?

Cheers

Mike

Hi John,

I've tried my man with the wheeling machine, he's a young lad actually and is very keen, but feels he hasn't the experience yet. Can you wait another 20 years or so?

Seriously though, can anybody suggest a source for this repair panel for the bottom of the apron? There must be quite a few like John's and mine, that are perfectly saveable apart from the bottom section.

Don, what did your repair cost? and is the guy still around?

Below is Pic of my spare apron, not too rusty but severely bashed.

[/url]">http://http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/johnhodges/media/Misc%20TR%20Pics/P1020347_zpsfc7e5a15.jpg.html'>P1020347_zpsfc7e5a15.jpg

Hi John,

firstly thanks for asking.

I think I will have a go at making the repair panels,

I've looked closely at Don's sections, and I think it's not too bad.

Give me a couple of weeks and We'll see where we are.

I need to get a close look/measure up of a pukka original one.

Still open to any damaged top/good bottom aprons though.

John.

Thanks Staurt,

I did have a look at that, but I'm not sure.

Can't see that it won't be full of filler, and does the left hand grill opening look a bit to straight?

Guess I also fancy the challenge - better to have tried and failed etc.

John.

Tom, did e-mail Radford Panel, but no reply I'm afraid

Edited by john
  • 3 weeks later...

John - When my body man welded the new sheet metal bottom assembly to the used apron I bought in Alabama, he first fitted the new grille into the cut-out and secured it up to the apron with the top 4 screws. Then he manually raised the assembled lower piece (after those bits had been welded together). Then He inserted the 4 bottom grille screws before welding it all together into it's final position.