Ignition Light conundrum

I'm having an odd problem with the charging system on my TR5.

When I start the engine the ignition light goes out as you'd expect it to do. However, after I've driven for about an hour the ignition light comes on when the rpm drops below 1,000. If I then let the engine cool for an hour or so and restart the engine the ignition light goes out immediately, (as you'd expect). I'm thinking I might have an alternator component that failing as the alternator temperature rises, but I'm guessing.

I removed the alternator and had it tested but no problem was identified. The alternator is a "fiesta" alternative.

Anyone experienced a similar problem? Advice welcomed.

Thanks

Jim

An obscure ignition light problem I had was due to poor engine earthing.

Since then, I've had a length of starter cable bolted between the engine and the body shell earthing point.

John

Gent, thanks for the feedback and Littlejim I like the old bulb theory!

As I slept on the problem one other question came to mind - given that the light comes on at ~1,000 rpm after approx an hours drive and at that point the battery is fully recharged, (and therefore demanding little from the alternator), what is the "ignition light" sensing? Is the ignition light telling me that charging voltage from alternator is too low after an hours drive? Not sure this alters any of your suggestions but any answers will add to my understanding of alternators.

Thx

Jim

Jim,

The lamp shows that there is a difference in voltage between the alternator O/P and the battery voltage. You would have to use a voltage meter to determine which side is higher. As Roger has suggested the diode pack is most probably the cause.

Not sure how an old bulb could effect the system but would be interested in an explanation. :blink:;)

Cheers

Graeme

Hi Jim,

what does the bulb do?

With ignition on but engine not running the battery has higher volts than the Alt so a voltage flows and the light glows brightly.

With an old dynamo if the tick over is low then the dynamo output is low so a small voltage is sensed across the bulb and it glows dimly.

At 1000rpm with an Alt that should not be the case as there is plenty of grunt.

If the diode pack goes dicky then that would/could allow a path for the bulb voltage.

Diodes (semiconductors) are susceptible to heat damage hence my suggestion.

It could also be that the Alt is producing tooooo much volts and illuminating the bulb in reverse - this would be very bad if left to continue.

A new diode pack is cheap - go for it.

Roger

Jim,

The lamp shows that there is a difference in voltage between the alternator O/P and the battery voltage. You would have to use a voltage meter to determine which side is higher. As Roger has suggested the diode pack is most probably the cause.

Not sure how an old bulb could effect the system but would be interested in an explanation. :blink:;)

Cheers

Graeme

I have no idea either.

But I happened to be there when the nice mans changed the bulb and the problem disappeared. he didn't charge anything either.

the previous auto electrician we visited had offerred to replace most of the generating system but was booked out for a week.

Guess it was based on the auto electrician's(AE) personal experience rather than any deep explanation based on physics.

It was quite funny, after hearing the early description of the problem, the AE started walking away towards his bulb collection while my friend was still finishing his description of the problem, we thought he was giving us the big 'A'. But instead he produced the goods.

Edited by littlejim

The replacement bulb probably had a higher resistance so required a higher residual voltage to make it illuminate. Interesting solution to the problem. I would not have thought of that but it is still worth checking/replacing the diode pack.

Tim

I think I would do this. When the fault occurs measure battery volts with the engine running. If it's around 14v then the alternator is working but a voltage is being developed across the warning light which is sufficient to light it. That could be due to a high resistance between the bulb and its reference supply from the battery. The hr could be in the bulb, it's holder, the wiring or the ignition switch. Under these conditions it wouldn't light very brightly though. So if it's at full brightness the alternator fault is more likely.

Edit: actually ignore what I said about a high resistance, that won't make any difference to the voltage across the lamp, only its brightness.

Edited by peejay4A

My ign light also starts to glow when after a decent run, for example the oil pressure gets low on idle and the engine is happy to stall - someone in this thread told me that was normal ? !

My ign light also starts to glow when after a decent run, for example the oil pressure gets low on idle and the engine is happy to stall - someone in this thread told me that was normal ? !

Are you sure it's not the Oil Pressure Light.

You may have the Bulbs in the wrong Holders.

I would expect the warning light to come on at a slow tickover with a dynamo setup, but not with an alternator.

The purpose of the warning light differs between the two setups:

Dynamo

The lamp is connected between the dynamo main output, & the battary -via the ign switch. it will illuminate as soon as ign is turned on as the dynamo has no output. When engine is started, & revs taken above a slow tickover the dynamo will produce enough voltage to activate the "cut in" contacts in the regulator box, This connects the dynamo output to the battery, thus shorting out the warning lamp - which will go out. The "cutin" contacts will not normally open again unless the dynamo output falls to a low level, (causing the battery to start discharging into it) this can happen at slow tickover, & when it does, the warning lamp will come on - but not as brightly as before engine start.

The charging will take place perfectly well if the warning light is blown, or not present.

Alternator

The lamp is connected between the alternator field winding -(slip rings) & the battery via the ign switch. It has to be there in order to supply initial current to the field winding to start the alternator producing an output. Blown or missing bulb means no charging. When started, the alternator will immediately give an output which is rectified:

A. By some high current diodes to provide the main output, &

B. some lower current ones to provide the field current.

These latter diodes connect to the same point as the warning light, & so as the rectified voltage rises from the alternator, it equals the battery voltage, and the light goes out.

The earthy end of the field winding is connected (via the slip rings) to the regulator, which adjusts the field current to give the correct output voltage.

It is very unusual for the warning light to ever come back on again until engine is stopped. If it does, then I would strongly suspect the alternator is at fault, either the rectifier diodes (either set) or the regulator, or the slip rings. All are worth checking.

By the way anyone who wishes to update their dashboard illumination lamps, & the two warning lamps with LED types (I have) will find that the IGN warning lamp will not pass enough current to energise an alternator. The fix is to solder a resistor across it, to increase the current.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Agree ^^^ double and triple check this.

Easy to do, just ground the oil pressure switch wire on the block by the sender and have someone look at the bulbs;

its very easy to mix them up.

Niall and Andrew,

Assuming it is standard, McMuttleys TR3A does not have an oil pressure warning light, they were only fitted to six pot engines.

Cheers

Graeme

Niall and Andrew,

Assuming it is standard, McMuttleys TR3A does not have an oil pressure warning light, they were only fitted to six pot engines.

Cheers

Graeme

The OP says it was a TR5. Not sure if they have both indication lights though.