Hi all - my 1962 TR4 is exempt from having to have seatbelts, but I have now fitted some for peace of mind - does this mean I have to wear them at all times?

Secondly, and not wishing to hijack an earlier thread in the TR2/3forum but a little bit related, is it legal to carry a dog with the hood down but not strapped in?

cheers

Rich

If you have them fitted you have to wear them, so I am told. I don't have them fitted in my 64' TR4 for that reason. I don't know about the dog but we have never stapped ours in but the lead has always been tied up to stop the dog jumping out.

Cheers John

Edited by John390

Nothing against having a dog unrestrained in the back but beware of emergency stops, even without hitting the car in front a Jack Russell gains mighty momentum and only has time for a strangled... Yip before it hits you behind the ear ! better to restrain with a harness secured to something solid.

Mick Richards

Thanks for comments so far - I should have thought of looking on the web to start with!

I'd quite like the flexibility of either/or without all the aggro of unbolting everything as necessary every time I changed my mind - I'm sure I've seen some seatbelt anchors with a fitting which clips over and hooks into an eyed mounting bolt - this was on a lap and diagonal set up as I recall - This didn't apply to socket end of the belt.

So if I removed the other side of the belt by unclipping it, could I argue I haven't got belts fitted, and hence not have to use them? Clutching at straws I know, but an interesting argument nevertheless.

As for the dog, it's a retriever which is a lot bigger than a JR but she loves sitting on the occasional rear seat and watching the world go by - ear licking is a constant hazard!! The car and the dog draw a lot of attention, hence I was worried that Mr Plod might have something to say - she does have a lead on, which is secured, just in case she is tempted to chase something but I accept that is going to do nothing in the case of an accident or heavy braking so I suppose I need to start looking for some anchorage points for a dog harness - then I suppose I'll have to get some goggles for her!

cheers

Richard

What is the problem with wearing seat belts, the idea of seat belts is for your protection and help save your life.

As an ex member of the ambulance service if you are so much against wearing seat belts you should go out with a crew to an RTC

and pick up the pieces where someone has gone through the windscreen,not a pretty sight i can assure you, and in the case of a car with the top down you could end up in pieces quite a long way from your car..

As for you dog in the car it is no problem for a dog to wear a harness in the car for its own and your safety.

Cheers.

Moe

If you are thinking of removing part of the belts to allow yourself to drive without safety equipment I fear you will ignore me suggesting fitting a rear Firewall alloy bulkhead behind the rear seats to prevent all occupants and your dog being barbecued in 10 gallons of premium fuel if/when you have an accident ?

Costs £60 and will be fitted in an afternoon and not visible after fitting. Perhaps the other occupants in the car would like consider this an essential "peace of mind" equipment ?

Mick Richards

I wont post the pic of what I looked like after my accident in the 6 and I HAD seatbelts.

Unfortunately for me, they were static sash type, which stopped me exiting the car, but didn't stop my head and face impacting the windscreen frame and making a mess.

Come on guys, think of all the ones you'd leave behind, the grief and anguish of all your loved ones and worse still, in the extreme cases those that have to spoon feed you, wipe your a$$ and help you get dressed.

Wear the bloody things and/or get them fitted.. its not that hard really is it?

Moe/AndrewP - I fully understand the safety importance of seatbelts which is precisely why I fitted them in an otherwise exempt vehicle. I have always worn seatbelts in all my cars.

I had been trying to sort out a small issue which required me making adjustments and then testing the result by going around my "block" slowly which is about 300 m on a minor public highway and jumping in and out of the car. Being very law abiding, I just wondered if when doing this, Mr Plod came along, whether I could be in trouble.

I now know the answer so thank you forumites for that.

In terms of my question of what constitutes "seat belts", that was pretty much tongue in cheek, so apologies if you missed that - I thought it might create an interesting debate on definitions, singular and plurals and application of law, but it hasn't. It wasn't supposed to be serious!

And Mick, a fireproof bulkhead is very much on my list of "to do's".

cheers

Rich

Mick which suppliers bulkhead requires least felting.

If it is only bonded in, as some posts elsewhere suggest, what is to stop the pressure from the explosions blowing it out anyway ?

I was at Gaydon last Sunday and in the museum there are information plates near the exhibits with some really good info.

Unfortunately even the clever cloggs get it wrong now and then.

There is a plate that states seat belts to be used by cars after 1961. Surely it should have been 1964.

Thankfully the other 200 info plates were all OK but it took some time checking them.

Roger

If it is only bonded in, as some posts elsewhere suggest, what is to stop the pressure from the explosions blowing it out anyway ?

I only have experience of the Revington one for a sidescreen and that requires considrable fettling.

The best solution for a sidescreen in my view, is the one that Menno suggests elsewhere on the forum, which is to replace the fibre board backrest with an aluminum one that is upholstered to look like the original.

Rgds Ian

Dunno Austin, I've never fitted a pre made rear alloy bulkhead, always cut and fitted my own from 1.2mm Alloy sheet using the fibreboard as a Template.

Because all our cars were made somewhat "individually" I'm not sure how how accurate a bulkhead could be made to fit all and yet still not require fettling. Given that the alloy sheeting is very workable and easy to cut and shape it doesn't exceed the average TR owners skills to make it fit snugly.

You can't rely upon bonding to hold it in place, only to seal the panel against fuel flow, rivets every 25mm if necessary makes it pretty we'll secure, and of course the choice of rivet sizing and whether to be solid or not increases the strength greatly. If your car is in rebuild with panels out and to be subjected to a paint job then welding a steel (thin) panel in place (as per Aussie Tony recommendation) will again increase the rigidity of the rear bulkhead and can be sealed securely in place afterwards.

In the event of an explosion from the rear caused by a Seawolf missile equipped motorbiker, ...you're on your own and I should seriously consider a change of your day job to something a little less ...stressful lol.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

"rivets" getting bloody technical now. That clearly involves bending rather than just snipping (not sniping) and filing.

(car in beautifully re-painted stage so welding a no no)

"seawolf" a bit overkill i think (quite literally - we're not the Americans you know)

You'll find the 'Mini-Spike' is better for discretely targeted matters