Front Stub axles and Hubs Upgrade

Steve, I checked my rear CV axle today, the play detected at MOT was not the bearings just a slightly loose wire wheel..! so no regrets fitting mine some years/miles ago

john

Thanks for the update Johnny.

On balance I think that I will go for the CV shafts, as opposed to buying uprated hubs and Proptech shafts which is the alternative.

Watch out for a new 'rear hubs and shafts' thread :-)

Steve

Just take it easy on those Yorkie bends Neil ! http://www.kolumbus.fi/triumph.tr6pi/highlights/broke-rear-shaft.html

This is useful if you eventually fit them Steve as they need careful measurement...... http://www.kolumbus.fi/triumph.tr6pi/highlights/tr-nord-shaft-installation.html

I don't see the big nut torque mentioned though....

The hub nut needs to be tightened to 180 to 210 ft/lbs, inner end to diff flange tighten to 20 to 25 ft/lbs.

Just wait for the Moss sale.....pays next years membership too......

john

Edited by johnny250

Steve

They are the last things I would ever fit not for me ta.Just my opinion

Same here. Steve remember what I said to you. ;)

Stuart.

I do appreciate the advice against cv joints, especially from two people that I trust.

However I've decided to try the CDD shafts and hubs, let's see how it goes.....

I have tried and tested the CV joints with uprated drive shafts, as per below:-

http://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?categoryID=20

10+ track days, 193BHP, 200lbs lbs ft, Round Britain Reliability runs -2000 miles in 48hrs, X2 10 Countries run, - 10 EU countries in 4 days, through the Alps, several passes, 130MPH (GPS recorded), and 20K miles without a single issue.

At the same time, also tried and test Cosworth / Quaife hubs, as per D. Vessey, no issues either.

Cheers.

Proptech shafts and cosworth type shafts work - and last!!

Yep and you will not contaminate them and never bust,biggest failure at mot time (granted most front wheel drive is cv joints ) but they fail on the rear also.

Proptech shafts and cosworth type shafts work - and last!!

Yep, works for me too.

Graeme (CV free) :P

Did you also notice the post's from people who have fitted them?. I also fitted CV joints (from a Nissan Skyline) and am very happy with them, they're good for 300HP and I'm nowhere near that. I too, would be interested in the reasons for not fitting them.

Cheers

Tony

As per above in my comments, they are very well engineered, and mine are tried and tested, with regular use of 6500RPM + and no complaints.

The race boys use the Quaife hubs / Cosworth shafts, which are tried and tested without any issues either, with cars that produce 240+BHP.

Cheers.

Rear hubs/shafts arrived today, look well engineered.

Car is pretty much ready for the diff to go back in, then these, then the brakes.....

Steve

Despite it being a drisly day, and the TR is on my drive as garage is full of motorbikes...., I thought I would make a start on the rear end rebuild!

First job was to make a small wooden cradle for the diff, so it would sit squarely on the trolley jack.

This was just three bits of wood screwed together and with a hole in the right place for the diff drain plug, what do you mean you haven't got a drain plug ? :-)

Removed the rear anti roll bar, slightly tricky with one very bent bolt, and the diff manoeuvred into position with relative ease.

I got the new rear diff mounts is after some 'jiggling' and the fronts went in no problem after that ( I secured the upper fronts in place in advance)

So bolstered by my success I pressed on!

The new shafts and hubs fitted beautifully, I mean they really did 'bolt straight in'

So on with the brakes and exhaust.

Four hours on my own to refit it all :-)

I still have to torque things up, replace the lost brake adjuster 'cone' ( andrew thinks he has a spare one), then a full brake bleed and we should be back on the road :-)

Here's a couple of pics.

Shall report back when I've had a 'test drive'

Steve

Nice job

its on my list of next thing to do, the diff(whining) and the drive shafts too.

well when i get the o/d to work.......DOH

Clarkey, I rebuilt my diff and there was a slight whine when I first ran it, (there was a big whine when I spent money on it from my wife... :D.). The whine has now gone (wife is still here though), bedding in did the trick (the diff not the wife).

Cheers

Tony

Well I finished fitting and tightening up this afternoon, the out for the test drives.

Result , excellent !

Nice smooth drive, no clonks or other noises.

Suspension does seem smoother on and off the power, due to no more spline lock up or did I imagine this?

I had a bit of an issue with one of the drum brakes, drum was a tight fit even with the adjuster backed fully out.

Any thoughts on that? ( new wheel cylinders moving smoothly on the back plates, new shoes)

Bled the brakes fully and they're working well.

Diff doesn't seem to be leaking :-)

So I'm very pleased.

Will have a longer test run at the weekend, after checking everything is tight and that drum brake isn't binding.

Steve

Hres a photo of the BIG axle nut looking through the minilight wheel.

...and one of the newly non leaking diff :-)

Steve

Ps, I'm wondering if the binding drum brake could be caused by one of the adjuster 'cones' not being seated correctly, they have a slot for the brake shoe to fit into so if misaligned would case the shoe to fit further out??

Hres a photo of the BIG axle nut looking through the minilight wheel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

...and one of the newly non leaking diff :-)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Steve

Ps, I'm wondering if the binding drum brake could be caused by one of the adjuster 'cones' not being seated correctly, they have a slot for the brake shoe to fit into so if misaligned would case the shoe to fit further out??

The cones will self centre them selves onto the adjuster screw due to there shape. You may well not have the shoe in the slot but that difference is quite noticeable when re- fitting. Whose drums are they? There are some poor ones around.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart