TR6 door cards....material?

I'm hoping to replace the door trims in my TR6 this year. I'm quite happy to make my own door cars, but was just wondering if others had dome the same and if so what is the recommended material? Pretty sure the originals are just hardboard, any alternatives that are better?

Thanks, any advice appreciated

Simon

Simon

Even the reputable trimmers still use hardboard for the base

Just got some from John Skinner

Something waterproof would be good though - it must be out there somewhere

Graze

Racetorations will do you some GRP ones.

They are designed to fit without vinyl covering, so to cover them you will need to trim them down about 5mm all round and also drill holes for the trim clips. Time consuming, but they'll never go soggy. They are also slightly thicker than hardboard.

Jerry.

used 2,5 mm polymer similar to kitchen cutting board/mats, easy to cut and drill (no chipping), bends easily if you need to work inside the door without removing the card, clips fit tightly thanks to one coarse side, can stapple and glue the materials on the card and you can even choose the color you want

Edited by Geko

Waterproof ply would be good. I'd shape this with a jig-saw running a steel fine-toothed blade.

The trimmers actually use a kind of fibre-board that is not as hard and stiff as hardboard.

They do this so they can cut the shape and holes using low-tech press tools made with die-cutters blade.

This is like a hacksaw blade with no teeth, but razor sharp. This is easily available on reels.

Often redundant printing-presses get converted for die-cutting.

This board is very absorbent and not really ideal for door-cards. It will soak up a can of spray lacquer quite nicely.

Fitting a waterproof membrane to the door shell helps to stop the cards getting wet in the first place.

Stuart.

• 1 year later...

My door cards have seen better days, and all this rain isn't helping them!

Looking at replacement costs, the TR shop seem very good on trim kits.

Does anyone have experience of TR shop trim kits, what's the quality/fit like?

Steve

Been using them for years, they are fine, dont forget the fixing kit too and spend time getting the clips into the right orientation as well i.e. when you remove your old cards leave the clips where they are so you can see how to fit them to the new boards as they arent at the angles you think they will be. Also copy the holes for the winder and lock handles too.

Stuart.