BONNET BADGE

Just found this add on ebay A J TRADING selling repro ones. Is this what we have been waiting for or not ?

The photo looks good. Anyone tried them as they have sold a few ?

ROY

Not seen them before, they are quite near me, maybe i will have a look,,,,,advert says,"dont be fooled by fakes" this is a genuine reproduction !

So whats a fake ?

Cheers,

Conrad.

...There's a TR250 badge on ebay at the moment for $600!!!...

My first car, which as it happens WAS a Triumph TR250, didn't cost a lot more than that. I think I paid $850.

i-fWc8sFF-L.jpg

'Course, any d***ed fool can ask any price they want for anything. That badge is gonna be there a loooong time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR250-New-Old-Stock-Hood-Emblem-VERY-RARE-/251370807668?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a86de2174

Edited by Don H.

Hey, was good to say hello today. so short and sweet though.....

i wanted to chat more, but called away .

Hope you had a good day,

Cheers,

Conrad.

Sorry to be off topic roy,

I think if all goes well neil , its going in tomorrow to have the antlers removed and of course the bodywork done !

Cheers,

Conrad.

Hi Roy,

Only one way to find out if it's what we are waiting for, and that is to buy one and see what it's like. So I just bought it.

There were some good repros around the 80s. I bought a set and would you believe, I think I threw the old bonnet badge, with chipped enamel, in the bin, along with a camshaft. Ohhh the pain.

Alec, your'e right about that vim and vigour. I need to re-prioritise my leisure pursuits.

Don, those look like nice wheels on your 250. Are they C-type jaguar style?

All the best,

Dave.

Edited by Dave Ashworth

...Don, those look like nice wheels on your 250. Are they C-type jaguar style?

Dave, I wish... I might still have the car instead of just its magnetic fuel filler cap. Those are the standard TR250 steel wheels missing the Rostyle hub caps.

Hi Don,

Well, that's an interesting take on the standard wheel. Isn't it funny how sometimes you change the slightest thing and it gives the car a whole new feel. It certainly suits your car.

Recently, I saw a TR4 for sale with standard TR6 wheels and hub caps, and it looked great.

I can feel some experimenting coming on.

All the best,

Dave.

Sadly the repro bonnet (and other badges) that were anounced with great fanfare were NOT wonderful. The blurb at the time anounced that they were triple chromed with enamel inlay.

In reality they were cheaply chromed and the inlay was paint which cracked and fell out. Yes they were new but of the ones that we fitted at the time, most had a problem and were returned with the owners reverting to original (slightly scruffy) versions.

It will be VERY interesting to see whether these new ones are actually properly chromed and whether the enamel is actually just that?

I had an original TR5 bonnet badge until a few years ago when someone persuaded me to sell it; it was in its bag and I think it has resurfaced again with a HUGE price tag on it; ah the perils of experience !!

It will be interesting to see what dave makes of the badge,but untill it is fitted to a car, no-one will know......if anyone is interested i am having an original bonnet badge and the tr5PI boot badge re-furbed at bagdecraft....Not cheap either,but the quality is supposed to be very good.

So will see how they turn out......but its not only the look ,its how they perform.

Cheers,

Conrad.

Charles Runyan of The Roadster Factory has been looking for an excuse to remake TR5 badges to his *very* high standard for reproductions for some time. He estimates $150-200 pricing for the front badge. He notes they're Birmingham jewelry quarter built. (I have one of his TR3 badges on my car now as my original is re-enamelled, and I gotta admit it's near indistinguishable from original.)

Runyan needs people to express interest in the project to justify the cash outlay. Here's how he presents the concept:

http://trf.zeni.net/sitesearch_results.php?cc=1&URL=http:%2F%2Ftrf.zeni.net%2Fwebcatalog%2Fspecials6.17%2F7.php&q=plates&wm=wrd

Leave that in the draw then ;)

No it'll go on the car but if it disappears i thought for the money it looked a good replacement

just asked when the badge is arriving it was posted on the 11th Dave Ashworth has yours arrived ?

david

Edited by dblenk

No it'll go on the car but if it disappears i thought for the money it looked a good replacement

just asked when the badge is arriving it was posted on the 11th Dave Ashworth has yours arrived ?

david

So now the world knows you will have an original on your car ? sleep tight it is a sad thing that I say don't :(

Edited by ntc