CR chassis with CP engine

Hi there. I'm new to the forum as I am currently hopefully agreeing terms on a TR6 purchase subject to the answer to the following issue. The car is a CR commission number from 1974 and the VIN shows a CR003***HE engine. But it turns out that in 1985 there was a reconditioned CP engine fitted with a CP53***HE number. I am not sure if the head was changed also and the current keeper does not know. My question is what are the implications of this for me and should I be worried??. The engine runs etc.

Many thanks for your help.

Sean

Hi, Sean,

I have the same combination of CR car with CP engine, but only discovered after purchase! Previous owners weren't much help to me, but yours might be if you can check the history, either through the forum or with DVLA using form V888, I think - they can often give you the ownership history.

I think you need to check if the ancillaries were changed to suit the CP engine - on mine, the distributor had not been changed, so had to have the advance weights changed. The metering unit is also calibrated differently, I understand.

Mine is also still fitted with CR throttle bodies, but that doesn't seem to make much difference for road use, but the CR throttle linkage can be a pain - I have changed mine to an under slung one from Prestige.

The head can be identified from the numbers cast into it - I seem to remember there is a table somewhere on the forum, but can't find it at the moment.

And last but not least, make sure you tell your insurance company about what you find.

Hope this helps, please contact by PM if I can help you further.

Regards,

John

You'll find the head applications chart on Chris Witor's website . . . .

http://www.chriswitor.com/technical.php

Which camshaft you have fitted will be relevant !

Any distributor issues can be easily solved by Martin Jay, Distributor Doctor.

Similarly metering units and other injection components can be solved by Neil Ferguson aka K.Raven-Smith.

Cheers

Alec

Hello and welcome!

These cars are 40 years old and many are now 'bespoke' !

An original CP car is no doubt the one to have but many of us love our 'mongrel' cars nonetheless.

Whilst you could get all worried about the spec and history of your potential car, you could also assess whether it drives to your satisfaction, and if so BUY IT :-)

Then you can have years of 'discovering' it's history and 'improving' :-))

Steve

Thank you all. I didn't mention that it is a bit of a barn find which has been off the road for 20 years and needs lots of rust replacement!. I have decided to buy it anyway and I look forward to badgering you all for help and advice in the future.

Many thanks again,

Sean

Hey Sean,

Congrats on the decision to buy it

You'll fall in love and enjoy every minute

Look forward to hearing the story

Graze

Hi Sean, After 40 years it's no surprise that the original engine may not be fitted. I myself have the opposite problem CR engine - CP chassis if you would like a swop at anytime let me know, as the engine is out and awaiting rebuild. At the moment the car has an MG prefix in the car on su carbs and runs just great. Good luck with the project Andy

and why not join the TR Register whilst you embark on your restoration journey?

Loads of help and assistance on this forum, and some brilliant contributions from people who have seen and done it all over the years, some several times over.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Sean, like lots of others my TR6 is a '74 (CR) car but fitted with an early (#21) TR5 engine and ancillaries. Only issues I've had is remembering that when ordering any engine parts and I'm unsure what cam I have as the PO didn't know. A clue might be the valve clearances on mine were set to 15 thou not 10 so I'm wondering is its not standard?

enjoy it anyway!

cheers, steve

Hi Sean

Welcome

I'm seven years into my resto and loving every minute of it, moved home in between, spent two and a half years converting a barn and building a new garage. Now back on track chassis now rolling . Body tub full of tin worm next project. Engine in mine was out a saloon, I have since sourced a CP engine and fuel injection kit , which is all stripped ready for machining . Hope you have as much enjoyment has I've had with mine. Joining the register as proved invaluable for me lots of folks on hand to give good advice when needed.

Mark

Hi Sean,

Good man, good luck with rebuild.

As you will see below, I am part way through restoring my '69 TR6.

Cheers

Graeme