Tom,

The cam lube should have higher grade lubrication than the engine oil anyway, but guess what...when I rebuild an engine I use engine oil...why ?

Because I carry out turning torque measurements on the crank, bearing by bearing and big end by big end checking for any odd jump in the measurements which shows a bent or misaligned component. With engine oil you will have a consistent surface "float" and lubricity whereas as the crank is turned and the bearings "wiped" by the bearing surfaces the cam lube will give a variable reading as the viscosity of the oil changes.

Mick Richards

Tom there is a lube for engine rebuilds that may hang about for a bit after the rebuild, protecting the surfaces against damp and condensation.

When I built my V6 Maserati engine, I was told that "Lubriplate" No 105 motor assembly grease, was the stuff to use. This was recommended by a local TR engine builder in Lancs,

This stuff provides instant lubrication on initial starting, before the oil pump has time to supply all the bearings etc etc .

Tom,

I use Lucas assembly lube, as recommended by a local engine builder. As Pete says above, it hangs around a lot longer than oil and doesn't make a mess all over the floor during the rebuild.

Cheers

Graeme

I've used Lubriplate for over twenty years- it is excellent and is a very useful light grease for allround use, as stated on the tube. Use it for rocker assemblies, gudgeon pins, valve guides ;o}, cam & followers, and so on, AND best of all- fill the whole oil pump with it & give it a couple of twiddles before installation.

It stays around indefinitely, unlike Vaseline which always vanishes at times of greatest need...

Edited by Stanpartmanpartwolf

Having built a number of these old motors over the years, all I can say is that everyone is right- except perhaps the vaseline bit- best saved for indoors I think!

Could I add yet another suggestion,one that is freely available: Penrite engine assemby lube, available from your local moveable Moss place!

Lke everyone says, you need some instant lube immerdiately the engine rotates (yes I know the older you get, the more difficult it is!) Oil just runs out so I figure lube is best. Mick just like to triple check everything.

I personally wouldn't use anything too gloopy in the big ends and mains before torquing them up on reground crank and new shells, they were designed to be lubricated with oil not grease.

I have also frequently been advised on the small Triumph engines and the 6 (not sure if the 3 4 engine is different) to not use Cam Lube on the sides of new Cam Followers as they can jamb! But yes DO use it on the bottom of the followers.

What you really want is oil pumping around all the engine oil ways before you start the engine, and no that doesn't mean cranking it over on the battery!.

If you really want to frighten yourself about the potential damage (and also avoid the damage) that can occur starting up a rebuilt engine do the following: (Again I know this works on the small engines and the 6, but have no experience on the 3 or 4)

When you have everything rebuilt and are getting towards start up. Pull the distributor out and the drive gear underneath. Find a piece of rod thats the same/slightly smaller diameter than the shaft on the drive gear and about 6-8" long. Now cut the end of the rod the same shape as the end of the drive gear shaft where it fits onto the oil pump. All you need is a hacksaw and a file and 5 mins in a vice, the tolerance isn't important as long as it slots onto the top of the oil pump shaft.

OK now find yourself a battery operated electric drill that has reverse.

Fill the sump, remove the Oil Filler Cap from the Rocker Cover, drop the rod in so that it engages the oil pump shaft, set the speed on the electric drill to somewhere around 500 rpm in REVERSE (same direction that the rotor arm rotates) 300-600 RPM is fine but 500 equates to 1000 rpm engine speed. Connect the drill to the rod and pull the trigger (if you are going too fast you will get some oil push up out of the distributor pedestal) Now whilst spinning the pump with the drill watch in through the oil filler cap hole until you see oil coming out of the small hole in the rockers.

How long did it take before you first saw oil up at the rockers, 30 secs, 1 min, 2 mins! Remember if the drill is going 500 rpm that's how long it would have taken oil to get up there if you had started the engine and run at 1000 rpm.

So just because when you bought that lovely new cam the instructions said cover in Cam Lube, Start the engine and run at 2000 rpm for 5 mins, the Cam might be happy but the rest of the engine might have spent 30 secs + at 2000 rpm with empty oil ways! Not nice even if you did lubricate on assembly.

Also not a bad thing to do if the car has been laid up and engine not started for a fair while!

Hi Tom,

Have you forgot what your original question was ? It was what lube to use for the build of the engine, cam, bearings etc, not all the various additional information you've been subjected to.

Guess what...these little engines are tough mothers, originally built by men in brown coats using tools that harked back a century. Despite that as long as the original design concepts of engineering are maintained of surfaces being flat and true, bearings and caps being round with bearings fitted correctly, cranks and cams being fitted which spin concentrically and are true and the original method of priming engines followed ie spinning over on the battery to prime the oil galleries all will be well. I've built around 20 of them following the advice I gave, and all have run well and the race engines exceptionally so.

It's not a watch ! As Nike says "Just do it" and forget the agonising.

Mick Richards

You've obviously never tried that old "get oil pressure up with a drill" trick, then!

On a lobe-type (i.e. TR) oil pump, prepare for a cracked/twisted wrist or the like as the pump primes.

Do NOT attempt it.

And don't ask how I know...

:huh: Works for me.

Used this trick 5 or 6 times, including on engines that have been stood a long while. Just take it steady (no full throttle on the drill) and keep firm hold and no problem.

I usually use STP or Wynns oil additive, neat, when assembling though I have also been known to use Graphogen. Only new, clean engine oil on the rings and bore though.

Nick