What are these (aero screens) ?

Just the shorter Brooklands ones for my 2 but fitted with Peter W's excellent mounting brackets - same fun nevertheless.....

Vicky:  best of luck, get a few miles in over here to warn your face whats coming!

Bob

low res NSF.jpg

low res NSR.jpg

Those rubber flaps below the screens are well worth fitting. Not only do they close the draught gap, if you do get caught in a shower they stop water getting blown up under the screen by the slipstream. 

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Those rubber flaps below the screens are well worth fitting. Not only do they close the draught gap, if you do get caught in a shower they stop water getting blown up under the screen by the slipstream. 

Also stops the rain filling the screen vents.

I could not afford the real thing so, as I have loads of ally lying around, I made my own. Even the chromed brass wing nuts were in my “May come in useful on day “ box.
The only bits I bought were the pedestals (Boat “Fiddle rail” brackets.)

I was surprised to read that the modern Brooklands screens are meant to be fitted with sheet metal screws into the scuttle top. Seems very crude! I used M4 wellnuts.

But…
There is some double skinning under the scuttle top where I needed to mount them and it proved tricky to drill down straight.
If you are thinking of going the wellnut way, be aware of this.

Charlie.

SmallAero1.jpg

SmallAreo2.jpg

1 minute ago, Charlie D said:

I could not afford the real thing so, as I have loads of ally lying around, I made my own. Even the chromed brass wing nuts were in my “May come in useful on day “ box.
The only bits I bought were the pedestals (Boat “Fiddle rail” brackets.)

I was surprised to read that the modern Brooklands screens are meant to be fitted with sheet metal screws into the scuttle top. Seems very crude! I used M4 wellnuts.

But…
There is some double skinning under the scuttle top where I needed to mount them and it proved tricky to drill down straight.
If you are thinking of going the wellnut way, be aware of this.

Charlie.

SmallAero1.jpg

SmallAreo2.jpg

Splendid approach

I warn people who need to drill their scuttle tops about the reinforcement that runs back from the hinge.  It is quite obvious and visible when looking upwards from the foot well, this assumes the wiring and glove box do not obscure them.

Peter W

50 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Also stops the rain filling the screen vents.

Is that cut bits of windscreen rubber? (as fitted underneath windscreen). Is it glued on. Mine have rubber but yours looks more substantial.

Edited by Ben Freer
2 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

Is that cut bits of windscreen rubber? (as fitted underneath windscreen). Is it glued on. Mine have rubber but yours looks more substantial.

Lower windscreen seal from TR2/3 or MGA.  Set in a c shaped channel glued to the bottom edge of the aeroscreen.  The c shape is  aluminium and I have no source now.  The nearest is the steel channel used on TR4 door aperture to hold the door seal.  Issue with that is that it is steel and needs painting.   MGB uses something similar up the side of the windscreen frame, again steel but is supplied plated.

Pt No AHH 6409   https://mgbhive.co.uk/product/ahh6409-mgb-roadster-windscreen-pillar-seal-retainer/  They are slightly curved, but can be eased into shape.  To grip the seal either tap the leg of the c down or glue seal in with pu sealer

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
6 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Lower windscreen seal from TR2/3 or MGA.  Set in a c shaped channel glued to the bottom edge of the aeroscreen.  The c shape is  aluminium and I have no source now.  The nearest is the steel channel used on TR4 door aperture to hold the door seal.  Issue with that is that it is steel and needs painting.   MGB uses something similar up the side of the windscreen frame, again steel but is supplied plated.

Pt No AHH 6409   https://mgbhive.co.uk/product/ahh6409-mgb-roadster-windscreen-pillar-seal-retainer/  They are slightly curved, but can be eased into shape.  To grip the seal either tap the leg of the c down or glue seal in with pu sealer

Peter W

This sort of thing Peter?

FF80DF80-AD99-4C0F-9EC1-163606D639DB.png

The item I have used is a C shape which the 'T' section of the seal will be retained in.  The channel you shew would probably do but is a bit bulky at 1/2" deep.  perhaps file it down and PU glue the seal into it.  Either PU glue or Araldite the channel to the aero-screen bottom surface.

Peter W

8 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The item I have used is a C shape which the 'T' section of the seal will be retained in

Peter,

This sort of stuff?

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1687-running-board-tread

Problem is it comes in 6' lengths which makes it a bit expensive (especially when you have to add on postage.)

Charlie

On 8/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter W

Moving on…..

Here are photos of the aluminium and steel channels with a section of TR lower screen seal.

Below…..This is aluminium 

8C4EDC22-24B2-4A8E-AC22-7025A9238703.jpeg
below again aluminium and a TR seal ( wrong shaped ends looks better square cut.)

85FB4AB4-E99E-43BD-AF28-91818DA1C7C9.jpeg

Below…..This is the MGB screen edge seal holder made of plated steel and a TR lower screen seal section.   

The issue with the steel channel is that you need to paint the end where you have to cut it to length to fit an aero screen frame   About an inch needs to come off so you end up with a possible rust area at the cut.

95441045-417D-446D-A2F9-859000C72838.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 1 year later...

I think they are original “ Brooklands” screens …in glass. Peter (BlueTR3a will know).

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I think they are original “ Brooklands” screens …in glass. Peter (BlueTR3a will know).

Mick Richards

Certainly look like factory original aero screens with the tall and side bulged glass.    

The plexiglas snow plough on the bonnet I have not seen on a TR before.   Very trendy at one time for rough road rally cars to try and deflect stones from the windscreen.

At Goodwood - here is a row of factory aeroscreens on cars with my car furthest away from camera.   KVY92   No plexiglass glass snow ploughs though.

IMG_1475.png

1 hour ago, Don H. said:

^^^ That’s a terrific photo, Peter.

Not me driving.  That was mid 1950’s.

More info here Don.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
On 12/3/2023 at 4:29 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Not me driving.  That was mid 1950’s...

Hah!  Well, I think most of us figured that out, Peter! :D