where have you put your servo?

Pete,

Have a look at the photos of my rally car in this topic http://www.tr-regist...showtopic=27321

Doubtless, there'll be others along soon.

David

Hello David , they came up in PDF format which was downloaded, but I or my machine couldnt open them apparently "couldnt repair file" appears

for some reason. But my Computer is SHOT and I am going over to Mac, Pogo is kindly going to show me the operating system, after my Panels are painted.

thanks anyway, can you email them to me perhaphs? regards Pete.

Hi Pete,

Have a look on my website. You'll see photo of the engine bay.

I put it on the passenger side as there's so much more space there: It seems to make sense rather than crowding everything in around the carbs etc etc. (Less heat on the passenger side too)

Hope the rebuild is progressing well.

Ade

Here are a few pics I took of another car when I was planning to fit a servo to mine. However, decided not to fit it and sold the servo as I don't think the car needs one - I've not changed my mind since.

P1010293.JPG

P1010294.JPG

P1010295.JPG

That servo is not fitted the right way up.

This is a clutch servo on a 6 but the fixing position is ideal for a 4 brake servo.

Stuart.

TonysTR6625.jpg

I'm not sure of this Stuart but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the white part of the servo should be pointing downwards, or at least at an angle downwards as in Bill's picture. I'm probably wrong on this but it's niggling in my mind.

I thought I remember it Ade. From the text the suggested orientation is to aid bleeding. So as long as you can bleed the system OK then the orientation shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by peejay4A

Best place? Garage wall!

Sorry, but even this 5' 5", under 10 stone, 72 year old doesn't need power assistance.

Something else to crowd the under-bonnet space and go wrong.

Rant over!

Ian Cornish

Best place? Garage wall!

Sorry, but even this 5' 5", under 10 stone, 72 year old doesn't need power assistance.

Something else to crowd the under-bonnet space and go wrong.

Rant over!

Ian Cornish

Hello Ian,

thanks for your suggestion, but could you let me know the name of the Pills your using, so I can get a supply and flog off my new servo.

No pills, Pete, just red wine!

If one's right foot on the pedal of a disc-braked TR won't stop the beast, then there's something wrong with the braking system.

When, in 1969, I replaced my disc-braked TR2 (which I had driven into the ground over 5 years), with 4VC, the car had a servo. But I couldn't adapt to the very odd characteristics of the servo, and so it was only a few months before the servo was removed and consigned to the dustbin.

I'm quite happy with the servo assistance in my Citroen Xantia because (unlike some Vauxhalls I have driven, in which one can lock the brakes if a sneeze occurs whilst braking) the assistance is not great and is very progressive. I have driven servo-assisted cars in which one has to reduce the pressure on the pedal as the car comes to rest in order that it should not stand on its nose!

Ian Cornish

You two have underpants on the outside, and I want you to show these at Malvern.

I'm just a pitiful underdeveloped adonis, who needs more assistance than you two Spartans!

My Jag brakes and servo I hope will give me more control when descending Italian/ Swiss mountain passes, each to his own as they say.

I hope you will both have a go of my velocipede sometime in the future and voice your opinions, good or bad is very welcome.

My servo is where the washer bottle used to be, washer now back next to the battery. I have driven my TR4 with and without a booster and, in the vagaries of modern Melbourne traffic where drivers rely on their super efficient brakes rather than allowing others some space, I feel a little more comfortable with some braking assistance.

img0903p.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Antony

I agree that the non-servo brakes on a TR are very good if kept in good condition.

However, for me the problem was switching between the TR and modern cars and the difference was exaggerated, either not pressing hard enough in the TR, or after a good run in the TR, then jumping in the modern and nearly going through the windscreen. :wacko: The servo just brings the performance a little closer.

After all, Triumph's own engineers fitted a servo to what was basically the same brake setup on the TR5/250/6 :ph34r:;)

Pete,

My servo is fixed on the left side as others have.

Cheers

Edited by graeme

Wow Graham, what a garage and thats a new one, "Twin overdrives" too! (on second thoughts is that an overdrive unit on the floor?)

Thanks Pete,

I got the idea for the twin overdrives here:

2ods.jpg

The garage has been a long time coming, all my work in the UK was in a single garage so this is absolute luxury, however, there is always somebody with a bigger one! :o

Cheers