Fuel Pressure Guage

Evening all,

I would like to test the fuel pressure so I'm after a suitable guage and fittings. Can anyone suggest a good source.

Cheers

Steve

These are very quick = good...(on ebay too) Just used glycerine filled ones for O/D pressure checking

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Harrier-Fluid-Power-Ltd?_trksid=p4340.l2563

john

Too late for Steve, but a cheap oil pressure gauge (£30? Unless you use a spare OE one, in which case, free) makes a good fuel pressure testing gauge. I wouldn't fit it to the dash.

Such a gauge needs to be damped, that's why the pukka gauges are oil filled. Otherwise the pulsations from the pump cause the needle to wildly oscillate, and can oscillate it right off the shaft!

But there are more ways of damping than filling with oil.

The gauge must have a connector hose - I use a length of Aeroquip, but something else would do, if it'll stand 100psi.

Make a disc with a VERY small hole in it, that will fit into junction of the hose and gauge. I used a piece of copper central heating pipe, opened out, hammered flat and then annealed. From that I cut a disc to fit inside the connection, and drilled a hole in the centre of the disc. I used a 1mm bit in a hand drill, working from both sides until I could see a chink of light through the disc.

My oil/fuel pressure gauge now has the slightest tremor, and gives a consistent reading.

But, no, I haven't had it calibrated!

John

Too late for Steve, but a cheap oil pressure gauge (£30? Unless you use a spare OE one, in which case, free) makes a good fuel pressure testing gauge. ....., no, I haven't had it calibrated!

It's presumably reading at the top of its range, so unlikely to be very accurate, if indeed it is accurate anywhere. Difference between 105psi and 110psi would not help the metering shuttle, so I wouldn't use it for setting the PRV, but as a permanent underbonnet installation for trouble shooting, a jolly good idea.

Ivor

Just now looked at the ebay link above.

Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/63mm-Hydraulic-Pressure-Gauge-Base-Entry-0-160-PSI-/250806406678?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item3a653a0e16

SIX POUNDS FORTY SEVEN PENCE!!!

Stuff the oil pressure gauge idea - I'm getting one of those next time!

Hydrotech are coy about their prices, but I'll bet you can add a nought to the above! Hence the OPG.

Ivor,

I had the sense to seek out a gauge that reads from 0-160psi.

So in the middle of its range at least, and would a posh Hydrotech gauge keep its calibration long?

John

Edited by john.r.davies

Yes excellent value and service...I don't know how accurate they are but got a 1000 and a 600 PSI version and they both agree with each other exactly for my O/D pressure.

john

I've got one from http://www.cotswoldengineeringsupplies.co.uk/

Oil filled, looks a bit like the one on ebay. Left the adaptor mounted in the car so it's easy to check pressure any time.

Price was 11,25£ last year. Part number PG63-SMF-160-B14.

PIAA

Evening all,

The guage arrived today so took the pressure at the fuel pump. I know that the place to take the pressure is at the MU but I dont have the bits to fit the guage there. Anyhow pressure at the pump is 110psi. The BBB (Big Brown Book) states 100 to 110psi at the MU. So assuming the PSV is set right what is the likely pressure drop from the pump to MU?

Cheers

Steve

I assume if youre measuring at the pump then you are the pump side of the PRV. The reason for measuring at the MU is to ensure that the pump and the PRV together are producing 100/110 PSI. I lay my hands on the bits to test at the MU tobe sure its getting the correct pressure.

Regards

robin

Evening all,

The guage arrived today so took the pressure at the fuel pump. I know that the place to take the pressure is at the MU but I dont have the bits to fit the guage there. Anyhow pressure at the pump is 110psi. The BBB (Big Brown Book) states 100 to 110psi at the MU. So assuming the PSV is set right what is the likely pressure drop from the pump to MU?

Cheers

Steve

Steve

Spend a few more £ and do the job properly by checking it at the MU.

• 4 years later...

Hi all

I have just followed the advice given by various people on this forum and ordered up the following parts from Hydrotechnik for the fuel pressure gauge.

Pressure gauge: 0-160psi, 63mm dia.1/4"BSP bottom entry #9801-160.
Test point Tee 3/8" BSP (goes permanently bettween metering unit and input flexible) #SNA02
Hose assy microbore 1000mm long #S100-AC-FA-01.00

http://www.hydrotech...co.uk/index.htm

The company were very easy to deal with and on mentioning that they had been reconmended by members from the TR register forum I was given a 25% discount on the parts which came to a total of £55.87 including VAT and next day delivery :D .

So I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the forum members for there advice and to pass on a bit more useful information to anyone contemplating getting a fuel pressure testing gauge and connection point.

I will be in the garage this weekend fitting the parts and testing the fuel pressure.

Regards

Justin

Edited by JustinF

Many industrial estates will include a Hydraulics firm.

Take the hoses you ant to connect to along and ask for a T-piece to suit.

I expect they will oblige.

It's always useful to build up a list of local suppliers, as they can offer free advice as well, when a mail order company won't.

And, you support your local industry - they need it!

John

Steve, I got my adaptor (and a blanking plug) from Think Automotive http://www.thinkauto.com/

From memory, they cost me about £10, and arrived in 2 days.

There are a lot of 'fuel testing points' available, so tell them what you need, they are genuinely interested in helping!

Steve, I got my adaptor (and a blanking plug) from Think Automotive http://www.thinkauto.com/

From memory, they cost me about £10, and arrived in 2 days.

There are a lot of 'fuel testing points' available, so tell them what you need, they are genuinely interested in helping!

Think Automotive are very helpful.

A few years ago they made me up a set of braided lines while I waited.... I just took in two pieces of string cut to length and example end fittings.

30 minutes later I had beautiful new lines for a very reasonable cost.

On another occasion they supplied an oil cooler kit for a very reasonable price.

Recommended by me!

Steve

• 7 years later...

I've replied to 6TR in an other thread (duplicate posting - tt!) suggesting this: LED OIL / FUEL Digital Display Pressure Gauge 0-120PSI with sensor 1/8 NPT | eBay  which I used to check on my electronic dash gauge from Glowshift: GlowShift 10 Color Digital 100 PSI Fuel Pressure Gauge | eBay

JOhn

I made my own connection as I had a Minimes gauge and connector, if you go this route have a male fitting in permanently in the T piece, just a quick job to  test.1088803327_IMG_3391(2).thumb.JPG.a76ae5831326d55cfa58978b08134bff.JPG